New resident

Old May 26th 19, 09:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Wheels

Default New resident

Ah, the newsgroup is still here! It's been a good while but I still
recognise a few names from years ago. Hope you're all well.

So a new kitten has adopted me, and what a start to his life here.
He showed up in my yard about 6 weeks ago now, There he was, waiting by
the back door when I got home from work, a little tabby boy, very skinny
and very shouty. I guessed about 6-7 months old. I fed him, which
stopped the shouting for a bit. He was still there the next morning, and
the day after, and soon he'd come running whenever I opened the door.

I took him to the vet to scan for a chip, checked the local lost and
founds but nothing. OK, it appears I have another cat now. I wasn't
going to let him in the cat enclosure until he was sterilised and
vaccinated; I booked him in with the vet for a snip and a chip the
following week.

The big day came around, but he wasn't there first thing in the morning.
I looked everywhere but couldn't find him. Had to call the vet and
postpone the appointment.

As it was my day off work, I kept looking for him during the day. It was
nearly lunchtime when he showed up, just about dragging himself along,
very floppy, unable to walk and hardly able to lift his head, although I
couldn't see any injuries. So I rushed him down to the vet, who found
fang marks in kitty's mouth – he had been bitten by a dugite, a venomous
snake. I hate to think what would have happened if I'd not been home to
find him.

The kitten spent 5 days in the vet hospital in the end, poor thing, but
survived thanks to their care, and he's been back home for about a month
now. He's still a bit limited in his mobility, but seems to be improving
by the day now.

So it's a welcome to Floki the kitten, who is now an indoor cat and
won't be playing with any more snakes.

Old May 27th 19, 10:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 5/26/2019 4:47 AM, Helen Wheels wrote:
[...]

Wow! Floki had a very big (and very scary) adventure. I'm sure glad
you were off work that day and that it worked out for the best.
Congratulations on the new kitten. It's nice to see you back, Helen.

Jill
Old May 28th 19, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

On Sunday, May 26, 2019 at 4:47:11 AM UTC-4, Helen Wheels wrote:
[...]

He is ONE lucky kitten! Thank you for saving him, and welcome to the group, Floki!
Old May 30th 19, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Wheels

On 28/05/2019 5:29 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Hey Jill, nice to see you still here!

Floki's been back to the vet today for the postponed surgery and is now
home again, a little groggy. My older lady cat Trixie is still rather
annoyed with me for letting him in in the first place. Understandable;
I'd be ticked off if a smelly teenager suddenly appeared in my house
too! She's been able to show Floki who's the boss without hurting him.
She smacks him if he gets too close, but doesn't use her claws. There's
plenty of room and even if they never get on that well they need not be
in each other's way.

I never meant to have another kitten. I have been used to taking in the
older ones over the years as I have a real soft spot for them. But Bast
sends who she sends!

Old May 30th 19, 01:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Wheels

Well I'm kicking myself a bit for letting him stay outside, but there's
hindsight for you. I'd never seen a snake in my yard in 30+ years living
here. Live and learn.

Old May 30th 19, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Wheels

On 27/05/2019 10:03 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In ,
Helen wrote:
[...]

Hi Helen, Welcome back.

Poor Floki. He chose well when he chose your doorstep. He sounds lovely!

Judith

Hi Judith
Yes, he's a real cutie, very purry and very cheeky. I'd almost forgotten
how amusing kittens were. No idea where he came from though.

Old June 2nd 19, 12:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Wheels

On 31/05/2019 6:56 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In ,
Helen wrote:
[...]

I hope that Floki is feeling better today after his op.

Judith

He's recovering very nicely, thank you. Running around like a little
maniac again.

And, one of the vet nurses who cared for him actually phoned me
yesterday morning just to check on his progress. I think maybe that's a
new thing, never had that happen before.