[OT] Holiday Recipes

Old November 8th 03, 11:55 PM
Yowie

Default [OT] Holiday Recipes

Haven't had a recipe thread here for *ages* (which in one way is a good
thing, I guess), but I like our recipe threads and felt like starting one,
troll or no.

Its getting close to the Holiday season, thought we might share a few of our
favourite recipes that we traditionally use to celebrate with.

Pavlovas are traditionally served at Christmas gatherings here in Oz
(remember, its midsummer here), but hey, pavs are good *any* time of the
year!

6 egg whites
440 g (15 oz) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp cornflour
1 1/2 tsp white vinegar
250 ml whipping cream
Passionfruit pulp
kiwi fruit slices
strawberries - dehulled

Preheat oven to 180°C. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add sugar,
1/3 at a time, allowing each third to be well incorporated so that you end
up with a thick glossy meringue. Fold through the vanilla, cornflour and
vinegar.

Spread in a high circle on a sheet of baking paper on a tray. Place into
oven and lower temperature to 120°C. Bake for 45 minutes.

Turn the oven off, leaving the pavlova to cool inside the oven.

Place cold pavlova on a serving platter and cover with whipped cream.
Drizzle the passionfruit pulp over the cream and decorate with strawberries
& kiwi fruit slices, or use different fruits to your personal taste.

Keep cool until ready to serve - but don't keep for too long as they do tend
to melt.

Yowie

Old November 9th 03, 05:30 AM
Marina

"Yowie" wrote
Haven't had a recipe thread here for *ages* (which in one way is a good
thing, I guess), but I like our recipe threads and felt like starting one,
troll or no.

Good thinking, Yowie. You could have thrown in something about mumu-wearing
basket weavers, though. ;o)

Its getting close to the Holiday season, thought we might share a few of

our
favourite recipes that we traditionally use to celebrate with.

I thought I'd share the recipe for a traditional side-dish on the Finnish
Christams table, the baked swede casserole. I'm not used to translating
recipes, so forgive my mistakes. ) I don't know if other Scandinavian
countries have this tradition, and you probably wouldn't even like it, but I
love it so here goes:

1 kg swedes (Swedish turnips)
1 dl cream
1/2 dl bread crumbs
2 eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
1.5 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
To sprinkle on top: bread crumbs

Set oven to 175 C. Peel swedes, slice, and put into saucepan. Add just so
much water that it covers the swedes. Boil until soft. Drain. Mix bread
crumbs and cream, and let bread crumbs swell for 5 minutes. Mash swedes (by
hand or in food processor), add spices, sugar, cream with bread crumbs and
eggs. Mix until smooth. Pour mixture into oven pan, even the surface and
sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Bake for an hour.

--
Marina

Old November 9th 03, 07:15 AM
Takayuki

"Marina" wrote:

Set oven to 175 C. Peel swedes, slice, and put into saucepan. Add just so
much water that it covers the swedes.

It's a good thing you clarified that "swedes" are a type of turnip. I
would otherwise have thought that this recipe would go something like:

Preheat oven and place Swede face-up. Bake for 1 hour, or until the
tendons have contracted enough from the heat that the Swede sits up
and raises its arms.

Old November 9th 03, 07:38 AM
Marina

"Takayuki" wrote

It's a good thing you clarified that "swedes" are a type of turnip. I
would otherwise have thought that this recipe would go something like:

Preheat oven and place Swede face-up. Bake for 1 hour, or until the
tendons have contracted enough from the heat that the Swede sits up
and raises its arms.

ROFL! Bearing in mind that a lot of Finns bear a grudge to Sweden, this
might not be so far-fetched.

I think we've had the swede/Swede discussion on rpca before.

--
Marina

Old November 9th 03, 09:36 AM
jmcquown

Yowie wrote:
Haven't had a recipe thread here for *ages* (which in one way is a
good thing, I guess), but I like our recipe threads and felt like
starting one, troll or no.

Its getting close to the Holiday season, thought we might share a few
of our favourite recipes that we traditionally use to celebrate with.

Pavlovas are traditionally served at Christmas gatherings here in Oz
(remember, its midsummer here), but hey, pavs are good *any* time of
the year!

Snip
Yowie

Here in the States, it's pumpkin and winter squash season. Here's my
roasted butternut squash soup recipe:

2 butternut squash (about 4 lbs.)
2 Tbs. olive oil
4 c. chicken stock or broth
2 c. water
1-1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried Tarragon leaves

Cut the squashes down the middle and scoop out the seeds. Brush the cut
sides generously with olive oil and place, cut side down, on a baking sheet.
Roast at 350F for 1 hour, until the squash is very tender and the skin is
wrinkly.

Using an oven mitt, hold the squash halves in one hand and scoop out the
'meat' with a spoon into a large mixing bowl. In another large mixing bowl,
blend together water and stock.

Puree the squash, gradually adding the liquid, in batches, in a food
processor or blender, until smooth. Return soup to pan and add the salt,
pepper, onion powder and tarragon leaves. Cook over very low heat about 1
hour, stirring occasionally. Serves 8-10.

Jill

Old November 9th 03, 10:20 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Here in the States, it's pumpkin and winter squash season. Here's my
roasted butternut squash soup recipe:

being a butternut squash fan on this side of the pond, I like them roasted. I
slice the squash in half lengthways - de-seed it and peel it. Cut it into
chunks, place on a shallow roasting tin, brush with extra virgin olive oil,
sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper & stick in a hot oven until roasted
with golden crisp outside. YUM.

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old November 9th 03, 01:11 PM
Stacey

"Yowie" wrote
SNIP Pavlovas are traditionally served at Christmas gatherings here in Oz
(remember, its midsummer here), but hey, pavs are good *any* time of the
year!

Yowie

I don't cook so I'd have to look up an unproven recipe and pass it off as my
own.. instead I thought I'd go easy and give you my recipe for cooking a
Thankgsgiving turkey...

1. Night before T-day, make DH wash and drain the turkey, remind him not to
forget to take out the little packets of innards. Save innards for
furr-butts. Put turkey in roasting pan and set in fridge.

2. 7:00 AM T-Day. Kick DH until he gets out of bed to put turkey in the
oven. Sleepily instruct him to glaze turkey with honey-butter and put a
little water in the bottom. Go back to sleep.

3. 10:00 AM. Roll out of bed and have a cigarette. Check on turkey and
instruct DH how to place an aluminum foil tent around turkey (it's too big
for the top to fit on the roaster). Boil turkey innards and give to the
furrbutts climbing up my legs. Call in DH for him to witness Nancy growl
fiercely while dragging the turkey gizzard under the table.

4. 12:00 PM Make chocolate pie and banana cream pie by dumping pre-made
pudding into a pre-made pie shell. Get lazy and decide to make one
chocolate-banana cream pie.

5. 1:00 PM. Parents come over with sister in tow. They bring squash, pies,
salads that must be placed in the cat-safe (microwave) because Nancy has
figured out it is Thankgsiving, and is on the prowl for tastey morsels.

6. 1:15 PM. Make DH peel potatoes and put them on to boil.

7. (After potatoes are done boiling, however long that takes) PM. Look
confused and whine while attempting to mash potatoes. Let mother take over.
Sit on couch and snuggle with Moogie.

8. 2:00 PM. Take turkey out of oven at mother's instructions. Carve turkey
with electric knife while sister sets the table and puts all the food out.
Open can of cranberry sauce and put jar of Miracle Whip on the table. Say
Grace. Eat.

9. 2:20 PM.. Wobble from table to couch. Pretend to feel guilt as mom,
sister and DH clean kitchen and put food away. Instruct DH to gate the dog
out of the kitchen and put turkey carcass on floor for kitties. See kitties
go wild. See Nancy try and drag the carcass under the couch.

10. 3:00 PM. Accidentally fall asleep on the bed on the way to the bathroom.
Ooops.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

Stacey

Old November 9th 03, 02:07 PM
polonca12000

Loved it, Stacey! That's a keeper. Thanks.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Stacey" wrote in message
I don't cook so I'd have to look up an unproven recipe and pass it off as

my
own.. instead I thought I'd go easy and give you my recipe for cooking a
Thankgsgiving turkey...

1. Night before T-day, make DH wash and drain the turkey, remind him not

forget to take out the little packets of innards. Save innards for
furr-butts. Put turkey in roasting pan and set in fridge.

2. 7:00 AM T-Day. Kick DH until he gets out of bed to put turkey in the
oven. Sleepily instruct him to glaze turkey with honey-butter and put a
little water in the bottom. Go back to sleep.

snip

Old November 9th 03, 03:04 PM
Marina

"Stacey" wrote

"Yowie" wrote
SNIP Pavlovas are traditionally served at Christmas gatherings here in

Oz
(remember, its midsummer here), but hey, pavs are good *any* time of the
year!

snip excellent advice for someone who has just procured a new husband

ROFL! lightbulb lights up at top of head Oh, husbands do have some uses!

--
Marina