Homemade Cat Water Fountains

Old December 29th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
deborahS

Default Homemade Cat Water Fountains

I am new to this site. Wanted to pass on some information regarding cat
water fountains. Like many of you, I too purchased a cat fountain only to be
disapointed. The fountain would get clogged and did not have enough
circulation and seemed to collect a great deal of sediment. Also, my cats
refused to drink from it. I would have to turn my kitchen faucet on drip as
this was the only source they would drink. Since I live in Las Vegas where
water is a premium I decided to to make my own fountain with an inexpensive
Beta Fish tank purchased at PetCo for $12.00 on sale. The tank is a small 1
gallon and has a small carbon filter (better than the ones you get with the
purchased cat fountains) I placed some inexpensive glass rocks (you can find
at dollar store) in bottom to collect any sediment. Filled the tank with
water and placed the tank near my kitchen sink. My cats love it and will
spend several minutes at a time drinking. The water stays fresher and there
is more circulation since the pump is larger. The water output can also be
adjusted. I fill the tank with filtered water and change the water every week
or so. The whole setup only cost a total of $14.00. A better deal than the
purchased one for $30.

Old January 3rd 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debra

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 00:06:10 GMT, "deborahS" u40228@uwe wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the "How To". I had tried using a fish tank "bubbler" but
the cats and I didn't like the results. The fizzy noise of the
gazillion tiny bubbles made the cats nervous, and I didn't like the
tiny grains that constantly came off of the bubbler head. A standard
carbon filter sounds like a possibility that will work.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at