How do you know when it's time?

Old September 9th 03, 09:35 PM
Gary Warner

I heard something interesting on a call-in radio show: Pets have no (or
little) knowledge of
yeasterday or tomorrow. Unlike a person that might want to stay around, even
in pain, to see
some event or just "because" or to put the past in some order...a pet knows
nothing but now.
They dont' even know that they might get better in the future. Sure, if you
know everything will
be better in a week or a month, that's one thing. But all the pet knows is
now. And if now is
painful than their life is just pain.

Just another facet of "quality of life".

"Bill" wrote in message
.. .
My 16 yo cat, Shelia, was diagnosed with severe CRF a week ago Fri. The

vet
gave subQ fluids and that seemed to help a lot. She perked up. Was very
feisty. And even bit me a couple of times when I tried to give her the

subQ
fluids. But I've been managing that.

But something seemed to happen on Sun. I went away and when I came back

she
was hiding and like a dishrag. I was hoping today's dose of subQ fluids

would
perk her up. But it did not seem to help.

Obviously, I want to keep her alive, but I don't want to torture her. Any
thoughts?

Thanks.

Bill (who is very sad)