Catnip! What happened?

Old November 13th 09, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

Default Catnip! What happened?

What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I bought 3
different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats years ago
going bonkers with something filled with catnip.

Old November 13th 09, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Earnest

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message
What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I bought
3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats years ago
going bonkers with something filled with catnip. \

It must be like alcohol with them...you build up a tolerance.

Maybe your specific cat didn't, but maybe cat kind did.

Old November 13th 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

Kelly Greene wrote:
What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
bought 3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats
years ago going bonkers with something filled with catnip.

If I remember correctly, Siamese cats (or with it in their ancestry)
apparently are not impressed with catnip. Years ago, I placed a large
catnip plant on my patio and the feral cats destroyed it in one night, MLB
Old November 13th 09, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
you need to find one with valerian in it

What brands have Valerian in them? These smell great and are fresh, yet
there's no response from the cats at all.

Old November 13th 09, 06:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"MLB" wrote in message
Kelly Greene wrote:
What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
bought 3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats
years ago going bonkers with something filled with catnip.

If I remember correctly, Siamese cats (or with it in their ancestry)
apparently are not impressed with catnip. Years ago, I placed a large
catnip plant on my patio and the feral cats destroyed it in one night,
MLB

These don't appear to have Siamese in them, especially the semi-long hair
kitten. I've seen the catnip plants in a few petshops. I may pick one up.
If today's catnip has no effect, I wonder why people are still buying it and
the stores selling it?

Old November 13th 09, 06:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

On Nov 12, 9:48*pm, MLB wrote:
Kelly Greene wrote:
What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
bought 3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats
years ago going bonkers with something filled with catnip.

* *If I remember correctly, Siamese cats (or with it in their ancestry)
apparently are not impressed with catnip. *Years ago, I placed a large
catnip plant on my patio and the feral cats destroyed it in one night, *MLB

Hmm. I got some catnip with the latest scratching post I bought and
just stored it away because I have bad memories of catnip with my
previous cat. She used to get mean when she was around it. This cat
has some Siamese in his background, so I'll have to see how he reacts.

FirstHit
Old November 13th 09, 02:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:19:19 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
wrote:

"MLB" wrote in message
Kelly Greene wrote:
What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
bought 3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats
years ago going bonkers with something filled with catnip.

If I remember correctly, Siamese cats (or with it in their ancestry)
apparently are not impressed with catnip. Years ago, I placed a large
catnip plant on my patio and the feral cats destroyed it in one night,
MLB

These don't appear to have Siamese in them, especially the semi-long hair
kitten. I've seen the catnip plants in a few petshops. I may pick one up.
If today's catnip has no effect, I wonder why people are still buying it and
the stores selling it?

That's a good coincidence. I was just in the pet shop and bought some
to help get the cats used to the litter robot - there are all sorts of
designer-type catnip cans. There are even some varieties that look
just like thai sticks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_stick). I
didn't open the container I just bought though since I came across
some already opened. All three cats did the usual catnip reaction.

I'll have to try the fancy new one and see if it works. I'm sure it
will. Some cats just don't care about it though.
Old November 13th 09, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
you need to find one with valerian in it

What brands have Valerian in them? These smell great and are fresh, yet
there's no response from the cats at all.

"Kelly Greene" wrote in message
What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
bought 3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats
years ago going bonkers with something filled with catnip.

Usually the cheaper brands you will know which ones have it in the smell
is extremely strong

Old November 13th 09, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

"dgk" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:19:19 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
These don't appear to have Siamese in them, especially the semi-long hair
kitten. I've seen the catnip plants in a few petshops. I may pick one up.
If today's catnip has no effect, I wonder why people are still buying it
and
the stores selling it?

That's a good coincidence. I was just in the pet shop and bought some
to help get the cats used to the litter robot - there are all sorts of
designer-type catnip cans. There are even some varieties that look
just like thai sticks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_stick). I
didn't open the container I just bought though since I came across
some already opened. All three cats did the usual catnip reaction.

I'll have to try the fancy new one and see if it works. I'm sure it
will. Some cats just don't care about it though.

I'll ask for them the next time I'm in one of our large chain pet stores
because these three brands do nothing.