Sally Forth Comic Strip

Old June 4th 05, 06:24 PM
blkcatgal

Well, she's willing to sell her Ipod. I'm hoping the story will have a
happy ending.

S.

"Hopitus" wrote in message
news
Okay...Megan, if you can do so on webtv (I don't really understand it)
type up "Denver Post" (a newspaper) and when its masthead comes up, click
"comics" in the many choices on left. On link will be Sally Forth's
picture, and if you click on it, you can see today's strip (I dunno if you
can go backwards datewise).
Now: I have been a regular @ this strip for years. IMHO
the only child daughter, Hilary, is one rotten spoiled brat
whose parents cater to her every whim unless she wants something really
dangerous. I base this on *years* of reading their adventures. Yes, the
daughter whined her way into an intended "romantic getaway" her parents
planned for themselves (evidently they have big trouble saying "no" to
Hilary in general - Hilary is clever and obnoxious) and I was thinking an
interesting alternative to them nixing Kitty's expensive surgery would
indeed be Hilary's offering to forego her Paris trip w/parents to pay for
surgery of Kitty! Kitty didn't eat nor use litter box for 5 days before
they noticed (we all know Kitty would be dead by then but evidently
cartoonist is ignorant of this)
; I have always thought this cartoonist is extremely pedantic and the
lessons he/she tries to lay on us, the readers, are often heavy-handed and
kept on and on until you wanna barf (especially Sally in her office
environment). Personally I'd love to give the brat a good
buttwarming when she manipulates her "duh" parents so
skillfully.

wrote in message
I don't get the paper and only can see the strip online and even then it
only goes up until May 21 or 22. What I caught in a glance from previous
strips is that taking the daughter to Paris was being discussed. Did
that become a plan? If so, maybe what will happen is that the daughter
will sacrifcie the trip to Paris to pay for the kitty's surgery? I can
only speculate here...

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old June 4th 05, 06:42 PM
Hopitus

I haven't seen today's strip (haven't been home long). If
the kid (10 or so) has an Ipod that's a perfect example of what I've been
saying.....the kid is used to getting her own way 99% of the time....but
she's not a bad kid, just
selfish and self-absorbed (nothing unusual for an "only" not used to
sharing).

Old June 4th 05, 08:09 PM

Hopitus wrote:
snip helpful info

OK, I found the strip and an archive he
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/comics/sforth.html
The story arc starts on May 23.

This thread is a good illustration of why it is important to "see for
yourself" before forming an opinion. After reading the strip I came away
with a bit of a different view of this situation that the OP.

First, Sally thanked her daughter for cleaning the litterbox for the
past five days. This does not mean the cat was missing and not using the
litterbox for five days and nobody noticed, but that Sally assumed her
daughter was being more responsible. I also see nothing to indicate the
cat has been missing the whole time and it seems that the cat is just
now missing (obviously because it is sick). They did immediately start a
serious search for the cat and the minute they found her they took her
to the vet. I also see that, while they are taken aback by the cost of
the surgery and balking, they have not said no. I think anyone suddenly
faced with the prospect of a $3400 surgery might take pause, but that
certainly doesn't mean it's a no go and I didn't get that feeling. I
know when I was faced with paying for a several thousand dollar surgery
for one of my cats, Sadie, at first I freaked because I don't have that
kind of money handy and didn't know how I would manage it, but once I
cleared my head and got past the shock (it was already bad because I had
been going through a lot to care for her for several months) I sat down
and figured out a way to find the money and make it happen.
Unfortunately, even though I got the money, Sadie suddenly went downhill
and had to be euthanized before the operation could be performed. :-(

Anyway, so far I see a lot of positive things in this strip. It's
educating people about what can happen when a cat suddenly stops using
the litterbox, and I like that it was clear that they are cleaning the
litterbox *every day.* It's also portraying the family as responsiblke
catowners in that as soon as they realized the cat was ill they took her
straight to the vet.
I got a little teary eyed at today's strip because IMO it made a very
good point about how, even though children are naturally selfish
critters and "it's all about them," when it comes to those that they
love, whether human or animal, in the majority of cases all that junk is
cast aside and they are will to do anything they can and make any
sacrifice that's needed.

It's an uncomfortable feeling knowing that, as children grow into
adults, often that way about them is lost with age and as grown-ups it
often becomes more about cost and convenience and less about sacrificing
to do what's right.
I think that, all in all, so far this strip is telling a valuable story.
I hope it continues this way.

Old June 4th 05, 08:48 PM
bigbadbarry

Hopitus wrote:
I haven't seen today's strip (haven't been home long). If
the kid (10 or so) has an Ipod that's a perfect example of what I've been
saying.....the kid is used to getting her own way 99% of the time....but
she's not a bad kid, just
selfish and self-absorbed (nothing unusual for an "only" not used to
sharing).

Well since this is just arbitrary talk, I say the kid should sell his
ipod, and buy a gun and pay a crackhead to get him a gun. Cash on
delivery!

Then the kid can take the gun and rob a bank. I think everyone should
rob a bank at least one time in thier life.

I said one time, that I don't drink, I lied, I should say, I don't
drink as a habit; I like a good merlot once in a while, I like chilean
wine when I'm having guests, or a good Ch=E2teau Margaux when I'm
indulging alone.

I don't trust a man that don't drink, or cuss!

Sell the IPOD, get a gun and rob a bank. Do it up like Steve McQeen
did, rob a downtown bank and take the bus up out of there.

Then they will have money to take care of the sick cat.

Old June 4th 05, 09:17 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-06-04, Hopitus penned:
I haven't seen today's strip (haven't been home long). If the kid
(10 or so) has an Ipod that's a perfect example of what I've been
saying.....the kid is used to getting her own way 99% of the
time....but she's not a bad kid, just selfish and self-absorbed
(nothing unusual for an "only" not used to sharing).

You can get an iPod for $200, or the new Shuffle for $99. That
doesn't seem to be direct evidence of going crazy on the kid to me.
How do you even know she didn't buy it herself via odd jobs and such?

That being said, selling the iPod just isn't going to make much of a
dent in the cost of the surgery.

Reminds me of when our dog Puma started jumping the fence. Once he
started, nothing could stop him. The only solution seemed to be an
invisible fence, which was very expensive. I swore I would pay for
some significant chunk of it, and I did try to do my part. My dad
tells me that he kept all of the money I gave him for the fence -- it
totalled up to like $25. I swear it seemed like I was paying a lot at
the time.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 4th 05, 10:20 PM
Mary

"Diane Schirf" wrote in message
In article .com,
"bigbadbarry" wrote:

I think everyone should
rob a bank at least one time in thier life.

Have you been reading Memoir from Antproof Case by Mark Helprin?
--

Mark Helprin is among the finest writers of the 21st century.

Old June 4th 05, 10:24 PM
bigbadbarry

Mary wrote:

Mark Helprin is among the finest writers of the 21st century.

You just haven't read mine yet.

Old June 4th 05, 10:25 PM
Hopitus

It's not an iPod the girl offers to sell: it's an XBox -considerably less
pricey - and from longtime readership I guarantee you the kid does *not* do
odd jobs anywhere. Maybe some folks here know lotsa 10-year-olds who own
both iPods and XBoxes.....but I don't know any. As I often say: it's all
relative, ain't it?
Glad you found out about it all, Megan. We will continue
to read what happens to poor Kitty in the strip (I don't really care what
happens to anyone else). I hope the
parents pay the vet for the surgery and it cures Kitty's problem, whether
it's a direct result of Hilary throwing a fit in the waiting room or
whatever else.

Old June 4th 05, 10:36 PM
Janet B

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 14:09:50 -0500, wrote:

It's an uncomfortable feeling knowing that, as children grow into
adults, often that way about them is lost with age and as grown-ups it
often becomes more about cost and convenience and less about sacrificing
to do what's right.
I think that, all in all, so far this strip is telling a valuable story.
I hope it continues this way.

Megan

I'm betting that Paris is off, but quite honestly, this is an honest
look at the things we must face when it comes to vet care. We have to
weigh all sorts of factors when making decisions for pet care. Many
are not easy. Many do not HAVE $3400 to even consider making the
choice.

Years ago, before many medical breakthroughs, there were few options.
Sometimes I think that wasn't so bad - these days, people are guilted
into making decisions that are not necessarily in the best interest of
the animal or themselves, or they're perceived as being cheap and/or
uncaring.

I've made decisions that I hope I won't make again. In the long run,
they didn't make sense. Hindsight is wonderful that way. It seems
that we can't accept that life is finite, and do expensive and strange
things to prolong it just a little bit. More for us than the animals
usually.

Like another poster, I have read this strip from the beginning as
well. Unlike that poster, I have not seen Hilary being a spoiled
brat, but a pretty average kids, with parents who have to make the
same decisions all parents do - what to allow, what not to, etc.

I think the cartoonist is showing a lot of reality here, and we can
only hope for a good outcome, but it may not suit everyone.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old June 4th 05, 10:49 PM
Mary

"bigbadbarry" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary wrote:

Mark Helprin is among the finest writers of the 21st century.

You just haven't read mine yet.

Heh. Bring it on!