Tribute: Capt. Midnight, The Good Luck Black Cat

Old October 13th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Ray or Fran

Default Tribute: Capt. Midnight, The Good Luck Black Cat

Aunti Debby,

Youze luv of Captain Midnight is so strong. He was blessed to have had a
human like you in his life as youze was blessed to have had him in yourz.

Youze will meet again youze know and though for youze hurting heart that
knowledge is hard to fully take in, itz true. In the meantime, Captain
Midnight lives on in youze memories and hez will always be with you.

Puddi Cat
(gently purring away)

--
Remove "spam" from addy to reply

Old October 14th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
BallardBunch

Dat wuz a lovely tribute to Capt. Midnight. I remember him from back
when I came to da Communitee lots more often. He will be furry much
missed. --Talisker Pippin, sad at seeing how many of her old friends
have left for the Bridge

--Talisker Pippin & Sherry her Hoomin (Visit us at Bitterroot Manor at
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Meadows/1240/)

Old October 14th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
[email protected]

ChildFree23 wrote:
[Human dressed in dark blue New York Yankees t-shirt and faded
....liddle snipps.

Wat a lufferly tribuyte tew a much-beloved cat. (Two black cats and
bow their heads, remembering Capt. Midnight)--PacoBell and Charlie.

Old October 15th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Rebecca

Fangu fur dat bootiful tribyoot, Anti Debbi. We will awl miss Capt.
Midnight.

Rebecca

"ChildFree23" wrote in message
link.net...
[Human dressed in dark blue New York Yankees t-shirt and faded jeans goes
up to the podium.] Meow, kitties. I'd like to make a tribute to Capt.
Midnight, The Good Luck Black Cat.

Capt. Midnight came into our lives in September 1995. My family and I had
just moved down to Florida. He came up on my back porch, meowed once, and
went on his way. I went outside and called him. He came bounding over.
I picked him up and he kneaded my shoulder. My sister and I heated up a
leftover hamburger and fed him (little did we know he was being fed by
most of the neighborhood!). Then my mother came home from work. "There is
the friendliest black cat outside!" she said.

"Too late," my sister and I said in unison. "We already fed him."

In the coming months, Midnight (as my sister christened him - I added the
Captain part) kept coming around to keep us company. My father was dead
set against another cat, a problem which was exacerbated by the leasing
office's strict no pets policy. My grandmother died in February 1996.
When we got back fromthe funeral up north, my mom announced that Middie
was going to become "our" cat: he'd go to the TED to be neutered,
vaccinated, and stay inside.

As it turned out, Middie was already neutered. But he absolutely WOULD
NOT stay inside and use a litter box. This wasn't the first time we would
have had an indoor-outdoor cat, so we got him flea control and let him
come and go as he pleased. The experience prompted me to write a poem
called "The Black Cat," which I will read to you now:

Black cat prowls in the dead of night
While his people sleep silently inside
He'll bring us a gift when the morning comes
A gecko, a toad, maybe an orphaned tortie kitten

When the day breaks he'll be all wet
From romping through the grass or the predawn rain
I bring him in and dry him off
And he tells me stories of his night's work

Black cat sleeps in the light of day
The floor, the couch, or on top of Father's shoes
Wherever the body drops that's where he'll stay
Until I come home and then we play

On Halloween night he'll be on patrol
Guarding for the witches, ghosts and goblins coming to the door
Sitting bolt upright staring at such a sight
He's my black cat, protector of the night

Capt. Midnight could be quite a hunter when he wanted to. The first night
we had him, feeding him that leftover hamburger, he brought us a
salamander and a field mouse in appreciation. Ten months after that, he
brought us a kitten, a three week old tortie he had "acquired" on some
secret mission he never told us about.

As he grew older, the hunting lessened, and eventually ceased. He took
well to his new job as couch fungus, still going outside to patrol and to
do "business." The weekend before Christmas, 2005, was the last time I
ever saw him. My parents took him to the local emergency vet, and then
transferred him to his usual vet around the corner. Capt. Midnight had
exploratory surgery that Tuesday. Whatever problems he had was not
fixable, so we asked the vet to help him to the Bridge while he was still
under the anesthetic from the surgery. His ashes came home on January 2
of this year, and they sit atop the curio cabinet mounted on the wall,
that my sister had gotten my mother.

Rest in peace, my little black angel. We miss you.

Debby