introducing kitten to dog behaviors

Old July 1st 03, 09:13 PM
mel

Default introducing kitten to dog behaviors

Hi. Have a 2 yr old Westie and am slooowly inroducing her to new male
kitten ~9 weeks. I am leashing dog and correcting when dog lunges etc.
Dog seems excited and not aggressive no barking or growling. Cat sees
dog and will avoid but not cower or hide. I want them to get to know
each other but the dog now that I let them close is sort of nudging,
nibbling the cat...she will also take her nose and flip the cat over
and nudge etc mostly in the crotch area of cat....the cat has NOT
freaked at any of this, he has batted at dog a couple of times, hissed
a bit; and when dog had him pinned he was not trying to escape, just
sort of flailing around...am I dense or is/are he/she/they playing? Or
is it dinner time for Westie? I have a good hold of the leash and
correct when this happens but the cat doesn't seem to be being harmed.
I figure cat would freak if he was getting hurt.
Old July 2nd 03, 02:06 PM
Alison

"mel" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Hi ,
That's sounds like its going well so far but I don't think
correcting him or pulling him away is enough.. Does your dog know any
commands like sit or leave. If you can ask him to do this and give him
a treat it would help to distract him form the kitten. . Maybe you
could get him to sit nicely on the lead and encourage the kitten to
come to him .
Clicker training could help . You can click and treat when he looks
away from the kitten so he learns he gets a reward when he leaves the
kitty alone.
Alison

Old July 2nd 03, 02:06 PM
Alison

"mel" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Gasp! My father has a kitten! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 19 December 14th 04 08:20 AM
Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM