The myth of the Siamese cat?

Old December 8th 03, 05:24 PM
David Stevenson

Meghan Noecker wrote
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 02:39:47 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
wrote:

Every time I visit my local shelter, the purebred I see the most by
far is the Siamese cat. I have my suspicions as to why they seem to be
available in abundance. I read they have a reputation for mischief and
trouble. So a lot of them must be getting turned in because they knock
things over, or are incorrigible.

Is there anyone here who can attest for or against the Siamese cat?
Surely not all of them are bad or have bad thoughts like the one depicted
in the "Get Fuzzy" comic strips.

We have only had one that was difficult. He needed to be an only pet
as he was jealous of the other animals, both cats and dogs.

Overall, though, they are awesome. We currently have 3, and we have
had 5 others before, and my mom had a few more before I was born.

Basically, Siamese cats are very friendly, very vocal, and very much
want to be an active member of the family. They don't like to be
ignored. They are a bit more like dogs in the respect that they will
follow you around and participate in everything whether you want them
to or not. They aren't as aloof as many other cats.

We first got Ting RB when I was at school. Later I bought my mother
Suk RB as a present - though she had to come to us for her last few
years because of my mother's moves.

My wife and I have had Tao MIA - we only had him for a few months.
Then we got the twins, Pish RB and Tush RB. Tush RB died earlier, so we
got Quango RB, and Nanki Poo when Pish RB went. A couple of years ago
we lost Quango RB, and Minke came into our lives.

Naturally, all of them are Siamese - we would not have any other cat.
Nanki Poo is actually quiet. With Quango ageing so not too active we
forgot how loud a Siamese can be, and when Minke arrived he was the most
quiet sedate kitten imaginable. Now he is a year old he has forgotten
all that, cranked up the volume, and "the yowl" is back!

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old December 10th 03, 11:47 PM
Alan Hannas

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 02:39:47 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
wrote:

snip
Is there anyone here who can attest for or against the Siamese cat?

Ablang,

I've had half a dozen Siamese cats over the last 40 years. None of
them has behaved even remotely like the image painted by the Disney
Studios in "Lady and the Tramp". They are very nice cats that love to
be with people. Sit down anywhere in your house and a Siamese will be
up in your lap in moments. They purr incessantly. They don't meow
very well; they make a scratchy sort of noise that some people find
annoying.

They are a muscular breed, surprisingly heavy for their size. Years
ago, the breed was noted for slightly crossed eyes and a kink in their
tail. These conditions apparently have been bred out of the line
several years ago. I would heartily recommend you consider one.

Good luck

Alan

P.S.
At the moment I'm feeling somewhat melancholy about them. We just
took our 13y/o Siamese to the vet today to be put down. She was a
high-strung cat, who'd developed some health problems. In addition
she'd began urinating out of the litter box. When she opted for the
laundry basket on Monday, it was time.

Old December 12th 03, 10:04 AM

A lot of people mistakenly consider any cat with points (darker feet, tail,
ears, and face) to be Siamese, but Siamese is a distinct breed from other
pointed varieties, such as Balinese, Birman, Burmese, Colorpoint Shorthair,
and Himilayan. A lot of people just call any pointed long-haired cat a
Himalayan and any pointed shorthair a Siamese.

I suppose that only a purebred geek really cares about the distinction,
since people typically say "Siamese" when they mean "pointed", but when you
are talking about characteristics of the Siamese breed and genetic diseases
to which they are prone, the distinction matters. Pointed, non-Siamese cats
aren't necessarily any more likely to have these diseases than any other
cat.

When I was growing up, we had a calico who had a litter of two pointed
kittens, one black one, one calico, one orange mackerel, and one grey tabby.
We called the two pointed ones "Siamese", but they weren't significantly
more Siamese than their four littermates.

--
Ferris Germane

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On 7 Dec 2003 22:56:59 -0800, (-L.) wrote:

IME, usually, it is for medical problems, because they are "too vocal"
or seen as "aggressive". Siamese are prone to 19 different genetic
diseases. They are probably the most ill-bred breed available.

Do you have a list of those or know of any online references to them?
I've had siamese cats all my life, and we have only had one with
health problems. She got cancer when she was 13. My first lived to be
19, and she never had any problems. Our youngest siamese to die was
the 13 year old with cancer.

Do you know if this is more in the modern breed, the traditional
breed, or common in both? I have never been into showing, so I really
have never talked to breeders, just met people on occasion who love
theirs as much as I love mine.

I would love to learn more as I do plan to continue with the siamese
and balinese cats.

Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

Old December 12th 03, 05:19 PM
David Stevenson

wrote
A lot of people mistakenly consider any cat with points (darker feet, tail,
ears, and face) to be Siamese, but Siamese is a distinct breed from other
pointed varieties, such as Balinese, Birman, Burmese, Colorpoint Shorthair,
and Himilayan. A lot of people just call any pointed long-haired cat a
Himalayan and any pointed shorthair a Siamese.

I suppose that only a purebred geek really cares about the distinction,
since people typically say "Siamese" when they mean "pointed", but when you
are talking about characteristics of the Siamese breed and genetic diseases
to which they are prone, the distinction matters. Pointed, non-Siamese cats
aren't necessarily any more likely to have these diseases than any other
cat.

As far as I am concerned I think that anyone who refers to a cat as
Siamese does so because he believes it is a Siamese. It is more likely
to be ignorance when it is not than a belief that it does not matter.