Can you name a cat DUKE?

Old June 14th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`

Default Can you name a cat DUKE?

Since I wrote the message, i would be glad to tell you what UB means,
except I can't find it anywhere, so can't put it in context. Please
quote the relevant passage so I can tell you what I MEANT to spell .

Bridget

Dan just wrote
UB means "under breath", as if the comment marked with "UB" had been
muttered softly.
HTH
Hug
Kyla

Old June 14th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

Haven't met a feline "Duke" yet! I guess it's a cute name for a
boycat. Except
I always hang the "e" sound as a nickname: Like Franky, Booty, Bikkie,
etc.
"Dooky" sounds kinda bad :-)

Why?

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old June 14th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

Yes, of course. I know a cat named Rover, as a matter of fact.

Actually, he sounds a lot like a dog I knew named Duke, pronounced "DOOK."
DOOK was a pitbull with a permanent scowl, who loved kittens.

In my mind, Duke and Dook sound identical...

Unless you mean "rhymes with book"?

Old June 14th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

Yes, of course. I know a cat named Rover, as a matter of
fact.

Actually, he sounds a lot like a dog I knew named Duke,
pronounced "DOOK."
DOOK was a pitbull with a permanent scowl, who loved kittens.

In my mind, Duke and Dook sound identical...

Unless you mean "rhymes with book"?

Outside of North America, "Duke" sounds like "Juke".

--
MatSav

Old June 14th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`

bastXXXett...
Sherry
Haven't met a feline "Duke" yet! I guess it's a cute name for a
boycat. Except
I always hang the "e" sound as a nickname: Like Franky, Booty, Bikkie,
etc.
"Dooky" sounds kinda bad :-)

Why?

Um, Dooky is slang for 'poopy' G
Hug
Kyla

Old June 14th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jun 14, 5:06*pm, "Kyla =^. .^=`" wrote:
bastXXXett...

Sherry
Haven't met a feline "Duke" yet! I guess it's a cute name for a
boycat. Except
I always hang the "e" sound as a nickname: Like Franky, Booty, Bikkie,
etc.
"Dooky" sounds kinda bad :-)

Why?

Um, Dooky is slang for 'poopy' G
Hug
Kyla

Exactly, Kyla! :-)

Sherry
Old June 14th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

Yes, of course. I know a cat named Rover, as a matter of fact.

Actually, he sounds a lot like a dog I knew named Duke, pronounced
"DOOK."
DOOK was a pitbull with a permanent scowl, who loved kittens.

In my mind, Duke and Dook sound identical...

Unless you mean "rhymes with book"?

In England, and in many parts of the US, the correct pronunciation is
considered to be something like "dyook." It certainly is a bit posher
sounding. "DOOK" is just how we used to say it in Brooklyn. It sounds a
little more working-class.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old June 14th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MatSav matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote:

wrote in message

Kreisleriana wrote:

Actually, he sounds a lot like a dog I knew named Duke,
pronounced "DOOK."

In my mind, Duke and Dook sound identical...
Unless you mean "rhymes with book"?

Outside of North America, "Duke" sounds like "Juke".

Which still sounds like "Dook" to me, LOL. I hear "dook" to rhyme with
"kook", or if you forget the final letter, it's like the "oo" in "food".
That's also how I would pronounce "juke" - the "u" sounds to me like
the "u" in "fluke", "soon", "too", etc.

How does the "u" in "Juke" sound to you?

Old June 14th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote
in message ...
wrote in message
Kreisleriana wrote:

Yes, of course. I know a cat named Rover, as a matter of fact.

Actually, he sounds a lot like a dog I knew named Duke, pronounced
"DOOK."
DOOK was a pitbull with a permanent scowl, who loved kittens.

In my mind, Duke and Dook sound identical...

Unless you mean "rhymes with book"?

Outside of North America, "Duke" sounds like "Juke".

Yes, but what if Joyce says "JOOK"?

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old June 14th 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

"Dooky" sounds kinda bad :-)

Why?

Um, Dooky is slang for 'poopy' G

Exactly, Kyla! :-)

"Um", thanks. Sheesh. I never had kids, so I don't know kiddy poopy
slang, OK?

Sorry, I'm a bit crabby, and I'm taking offense easily. But I don't
know any less than any of the rest of the people on this newsgroup,
although maybe I just know *different* things.