Goofy brought in a present last night.

Old June 3rd 12, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_2_]

Default Goofy brought in a present last night.

I came home last night a little bit after 11pm. Asked where the cat was.
Brother doesn't know.
So i sit down in the recyliner and a few minutes later he comes squeezing in
the cat door with what looks like a mouse in his mouth.
He goes parading past and we are yelling at him no! Then i had to chase him
to get him to drop what actually was a very small baby rabbit.
So then im trying to pick this rabbit up to put him outside and it is very
much alive and jumping and kicking. It went into the closet and I finally
was able to grab him. I brought him outside and dropped him in the
neighbors yard.
Hopefully Goofy wont find him again but who knows.

Few years ago we found a dead baby rabbit underneath an entertainment center
that we had back then,
I know he likes to bring presents but I just cringe at the thought of
anything cute dying.

Are other readers cats showing off their presents? lol

Matt

Old June 3rd 12, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Sunday, June 3, 2012 7:35:43 AM UTC-6, Matt Ferrari wrote:
[...]

The "insiders" like to bring me the legs or wings of their "kills", to show they are doing their jobs (apparently bug legs and moth wings don't taste very good).

The "outsiders" often leave me gifts for when I'm bringing out breakfast or dinner. I thank them profusely, and usually take the offering (after a song for the spirit, which we tend to sing together, lol) and place it in the field for the more shy cats).
Old June 4th 12, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Judith Latham wrote:

After the time Sootie brought in a live mouse through the bedroom window
at 11.30pm one hot Sunday night, she's given a chop (mouth) check before
she's let inside.

Oh, that reminds me of when Smudge used to go out for hours, and then
bang on the door to be let in. There was a particular meow she would
do when she had prey in her mouth, but after the time when she waltzed
in with a live mouse (which she dropped on the floor, after which it ran
under the couch), she was not allowed inside until I gave her a mouth
check. My front door has a screen door, so I'd open the door and talk
to her through the screen. I'd say, "Mouth check!" and she'd stand up
with her paws on the screen and show me her mouth. And then she'd be
admitted inside.

When she *did* have something in her mouth, I used to say, "Forget it!
You are *not* coming in here with *that* in your mouth!" She would just
sit there and meow at me. One day it occured to me that she probably
wanted some praise, so I said, "Good girl! What a great catch!" She got
all excited and started tossing the mouse up in the air with her mouth,
and then she proceeded to tuck in. Apparently, my praise was a signal
to her that it was time for dinner.

There were two cats next door (now only one) the girl cat used to catch
mice and leave them in a line on their patio. The boy cat couldn't be
bothered to chase mice. One morning when the neighbour went out onto the
patio there was a dead mouse but it was in a trap. The boy cat was very
proud of it. They didn't feel they could ask around if anyone had lost a
mouse trap and so the mystery where it came from remained for years. Until
I mentioned it to my neighbours the other side when we talking about
Sootie catching mice.Tthey said that they had lost a mouse trap from their
garden years ago and had wondered what had happened to it. They hadn't
wanted to ask around as it's not a nice thing to have a mouse problem. Now
both sides have their mysteries solved.

Except for this: *how did it get moved*?

--
Joyce

Whenever you feel anger, you should say, "May I be free of this
anger!" This rarely works, but talking to yourself in public will
encourage others to leave you alone.
Old June 4th 12, 12:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_2_]

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
Except for this: *how did it get moved*?

It was Jacob, the little boy cat. His pride at it was the give away.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Well lil bunny rabbit didn't learn its lesson. When I left the house last
night around 7pm it was playing on the sidewalk on the side of my house.
We decided to keep Goofy in for 2 days to give lil rabbit a chance to decide
if it wants to relocate.

Old June 4th 12, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , "Matt Ferrari" wrote:

Are other readers cats showing off their presents? lol

Alas, yes.

Just a week or two ago, I was doing the usual nightime futility of calling for
Giovanni, who would really prefer to live outside. By total coincidence, as
calling generally does nothing, he came around the corner with something in
his mouth. It looked like a mouse, but was totally black.

As my first goal was to get him inside, I grabbed him and he dropped the
whatever-it-was. I put him inside and went to check on the fate of the poor
creature, hoping it was dead and not maimed. To my astonishment, it was gone!

He also came home with a lizard once that was pretty much a foot long. It too
was none the worse for wear and scurried off when Giovanni dropped it.
Considering his bite is approximately equivalent to that of a large bench
vise, I really don't understand how these guys survived unscathed.

Art
Old June 4th 12, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 06/04/2012 10:58 AM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In , "Matt wrote:

[...]

Perhaps he has a "soft" bite like bird dogs do. It sounds like he
wanted to bring you some dinner in return for you feeding him.

How are the other kitties faring this summer? Best wishes. MLB
Old June 4th 12, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Judith Latham wrote:

Bastette wrote:

Judith Latham wrote:

[...]

That's hilarious! And then he tried to pass it off as his catch?

--
Joyce

Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker
Old June 5th 12, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 16:58:34 GMT, (Arthur
Shapiro) wrote:

[...]

Once in a while one of my cats (fenced in backyard) gets a bird. On
two occasions I've managed to get the bird from the cats mouth while
still alive. One just flew off immediately. The other lay twiching a
bit, and when I was about to put it out of its misery, it flew off.

They are tougher than they look, but not once the neck is broken,
which is more often the case. I think in the 16 years that my cats
have been able to go in my yard, they've killed maybe 15 birds. That's
a pretty low number considering that I often have a bird feeder up at
the same time the cats are back there, although I do try to avoid that
situation.

I also set up a box for an outside cat named Baby by the front of my
house. Baby has shown her gratitude for the room and board (and
neutering) by bringing me quite a few small yellow birds. I was very
concerned about that because the other cats kill those common Sparrow
or Starling type things, but I never see those little yellow birds and
had no idea where Baby was getting them. It turns out that they're the
American Goldfinch and are pretty common. Odd because I never notice
them but baby must have found a nest somewhere nearby and thought that
they'd make a fine gift.
Old June 5th 12, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Arthur Shapiro[_2_]

In article , MLB wrote:

How are the other kitties faring this summer? Best wishes. MLB

Nothing remarkable to report. Giovanni is still fascinatingly aloof and
obnoxious. The middle-of-the-night howling and clawing at all the doors and
windows to get outside gets old after a while. I think he actually likes me,
but wouldn't condescend to show it.

Niobe is still hyperactive and still torments all the others. She can be a
really nice kitty when she wants to be.

Emma rarely leaves the living room and is instantly in my lap when I sit down
in that room. I just can't figure out why she won't hop on the bed at night.
She despises all the others.

Watermelon is like a comfortable old shoe. He woke me up this morning, an
hour earlier than I'd hoped, by licking my mouth. Yecch. He spends most of
the nights braced against me and grooming himself or me. Jostle, jostle,
jostle. All night long, night after night.

When one of them finally kicks the proverbial bucket, hopefully not for a
while, it looks like I have a replacement waiting for me. My frequent cycling
partner has two kitties that wandered into her home. She has never really
warmed up to one of them, a longhaired tabby-ish kitty that strongly prefers
men. The cat really likes me, the few times a year I'm over there, so I
agreed to take her once a slot opens up.

Art
Old June 8th 12, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

On 6/3/2012 8:35 AM, Matt Ferrari wrote:

Are other readers cats showing off their presents? lol

Matt

Rabbits have been a favorite of my cats for many years. Most recently,
Custer bought in two baby rabbits on consecutive nights, but the Mojo
was the real wabbit hunter. Mojo was 21LB in his prime, so he didn't
confine himself to baby rabbits, and he also made sure they were very
dead by the time I found them. I came home one night to find the living
room looking like a scene from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre with bits of
rabbit everywhere and a very satisfied Mojo sleeping amongst the remains.

--
Nik Simpson

Brought her home last night.... Phoenix[_2_] Cat anecdotes 13 May 30th 12 05:11 PM
Goofy Cat jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 1 September 17th 09 08:11 PM
another goofy video Outsider Cat anecdotes 12 November 27th 07 04:07 AM
Tonight, Paw brought home the purrfect present... Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 0 June 18th 05 08:59 AM
goofy critters David Yehudah Cat anecdotes 36 April 9th 04 07:06 PM