Feral cat visitor with fur problem

Old July 28th 14, 02:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AL_n

Default Feral cat visitor with fur problem

I've been feeding a feral cat that has been coming into my house via my
late cat's cat flap.

This small black cat is extremely cautious, however he now lets me stroke
him while he's eating, and sometimes beforehand.

He seems to have something wrong with his fur on the rear 3/4 of his body
(from his shoulders backwards, getting progressively more noticeable
towards his buttocks). The affected fur seems short and dull, and uneven in
thickness. I'm wondering if he has been chewing it, because of some kind of
irritation or something. However, I've never seen him doing so, and I've
never seen him scratching.

The cat is far too timid to be picked up and taken to a vet without causing
him fear and distress,and I don;t want to betray the trust we have
painstakingly built up. I could probably grab hold of him long enough to
apply some Spot-on flea drops to the back of his neck, but I don't know if
fleas are the problem. It could be some other kind of parasite or skin
problem, couldn't it?

Can anyone advise?

Thank you,

Al
Old July 28th 14, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 7/28/2014 9:16 AM, AL_n wrote:
I could probably grab hold of him long enough to
apply some Spot-on flea drops to the back of his neck, but I don't know if
fleas are the problem. It could be some other kind of parasite or skin
problem, couldn't it?

Can anyone advise?

............Depends on where you live. I'm in FL where it's flea central
and if you've got a cat chewing on him/herself, it's liable to be fleas.
..............I picked up a stray kitten that not only had fleas but
feline lice! Everyone in the clinic rushed over to the microscope as
it's pretty rare to see them.

Revolution kills fleas and lice, so I'd go ahead and get some and apply
it. Keep an eye on the cat and if you see no improvement in 3 weeks,
reapply.

......Does this cat come in every day for food? If not, could be
malnutrition. Or ringworm, in which case you'll have to dip the cat.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old July 28th 14, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

There are at least two types of flea control that can be given
orally. One kills the current fleas for a day. The other one lasts
for a month and sterilizes any fleas that suck your cat's blood.

I sympathize with taking care of outdoor cats, but please don't
feed cats that aren't neutered. Give it fresh water (making sure
any wild animals in the area that carry rabies like skunks and
raccoons don't have access to that water, so they are less likely
to stick around). Take care of it. Take it to the vet. Provide a
comfortable place for it to die. But don't feed it. Please think
ahead when you feed stray cats that are not neutered. They have
jillions of kittens and almost all of those kittens die horrible
deaths. If it can't feed itself, it can't feed its kittens either.
Sad but true.

Old July 29th 14, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AL_n

John Doe wrote in news:lr64a5$k94$1@dont-
email.me:

There are at least two types of flea control that can be given
orally. One kills the current fleas for a day. The other one lasts
for a month and sterilizes any fleas that suck your cat's blood.

I sympathize with taking care of outdoor cats, but please don't
feed cats that aren't neutered. Give it fresh water (making sure
any wild animals in the area that carry rabies like skunks and
raccoons don't have access to that water, so they are less likely
to stick around). Take care of it. Take it to the vet. Provide a
comfortable place for it to die. But don't feed it. Please think
ahead when you feed stray cats that are not neutered. They have
jillions of kittens and almost all of those kittens die horrible
deaths. If it can't feed itself, it can't feed its kittens either.
Sad but true.

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions. This cat is a male. Do you discourage the
feeding of male feral cats - or just females? This one seems to have a
female sibling, who also occasionally comes to my house, but I've only been
feeding the brother, because he looked so thin and fearful.

Al

Old July 30th 14, 10:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AL_n

"AL_n" wrote in
:

Buglady,
Thanks for the reply. I'm in the UK. Fleas are are common here,
although I haven't seen (or felt) any in my house. Yes, the cat comes
in every day for food. I'll try your flea suggestion, and see if the
situation improves. If not, I'll be thinking ringworm. Many thanks.

Al

PS - I have posted three photos of the cat and his fur he

http://www.aalife.com/index.html

Thanks for looking!

Al

Old July 30th 14, 11:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AL_n

"AL_n" wrote in
:

Buglady,
Thanks for the reply. I'm in the UK. Fleas are are common here,
although I haven't seen (or felt) any in my house. Yes, the cat comes
in every day for food. I'll try your flea suggestion, and see if the
situation improves. If not, I'll be thinking ringworm. Many thanks.

Al

PS.. I have posted photos of the cat he

http://tinyurl.com/njpef28

Thanks for looking.

Al
Old July 31st 14, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 7/30/2014 5:06 AM, AL_n wrote:

PS - I have posted three photos of the cat and his fur he

http://www.aalife.com/index.html

.........My first guess is fleas or some other parasite. Has he always
looked this way (and maybe it's getting better?) or is this recent?

.........His teeth seem to indicate he's young, so I wouldn't think it
would be hyperthyroidism, which causes thinning of hair in a Xmas tree
pattern above tail.

.........I would work on the petting to get him tamed down. If you can
only stroke lightly now, keep doing that, only more slowly and then put
a bit of pressure in your hand, continuing on down the whole body and
stroking his tail too. Once he's used to that, stroke the sides, front
to back. Eventually you'll be able to get both hands in there. Slowly
move a hand up to head and scratch under chin. I don't think there's a
cat in the world that can resist that! Does he purr when you pet him?

..........Looks like he's been in some scrapes as his one ear is pretty
tattered. If you can get him tamed down you can get him neutered, which
will cut down on injury from cat fights........and kittens.