Any Success Stories Dealing With Mycoplasma haemofelis organism...

Old June 2nd 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
:-\)Liz

Default Any Success Stories Dealing With Mycoplasma haemofelis organism...

Got the news that my PossRat has this.. :-( Feline Infectious Anemia!!!

Between being robbed...dealing with it and losing Garrr to Hyperthyroid
Disease and Pancreatic Cancer and my Mother being rushed to the hospital...I
wasn't as watchful in regard to the health of my kitties...Poss caught a
cold while these things were going on........I noticed he seemed lethargic
and had a yellowish tint to his former pink ear.... Off to the vet we went
on the 27th.

The Vet said as he had such a rough childhood before I rescued him...
Possrat could have contracted the blood parasite then and it stayed dormant
until his system was weak...( Possrat was tested in the past for FIA and
nothing showed up)...His white blood count, Hemacroate were dangerously low.
His creatinine levels are way high( I think that's what the vet said)...Poss
has Jaundice as well...

She (vet) started him on steroids (for appetite)(shots), Super Duper liquid
Vitamins, Vitamin K (shots), amoxicillin and as well as a specially
compounded Doxycycline 60MG/ML...Possrat Does Not Like It (Doxycycline...it
smells nasty!... so I can only imagine how it tastes!!! ...Also he's on
special AD food...though I can feed Poss anything he'll eat... He is also on
Frontline as well as all my other kitties now....Damn! I maxed out my
remaining charge card and set up another payment plan...( Doesn't matter
though...I want my PossRat well and my other kitties safe!.) ...It's a day
by day watch...He seems better today......

Doing research on the disease has me really worried and scared.... Has
anyone had success with this nasty horrible disease???

Old June 2nd 08, 05:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
:-\)Liz

Sorry about the smiley attachment..I put a smiley face icon when I typed...
He seems better today...why it became a attachment I don't know?

":-)Liz" wrote in message
Got the news that my PossRat has this.. :-( Feline Infectious Anemia!!!

Between being robbed...dealing with it and losing Garrr to Hyperthyroid
Disease and Pancreatic Cancer and my Mother being rushed to the
hospital...I wasn't as watchful in regard to the health of my
kitties...Poss caught a cold while these things were going on........I
noticed he seemed lethargic and had a yellowish tint to his former pink
ear.... Off to the vet we went on the 27th.

..

Old June 2nd 08, 07:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

I don't have any experience with this, but it sounds to me as though you and
PossRat are both in need of purrs. They are on the way. Here's an extra
hug for you. You've had a lot to deal with lately.

(((((((((Liz)))))))))

--
Joy

Constant change is here to stay.

Old June 2nd 08, 09:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

":-\)Liz" wrote:

[...]

Poor Poss. And poor you!! I didn't even know about your mom, is she
OK now?

I've never heard of this illness, but many purrs for him to get better
soon.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^

Old June 2nd 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

":-)Liz" wrote in message
Got the news that my PossRat has this.. :-( Feline Infectious Anemia!!!

Between being robbed...dealing with it and losing Garrr to Hyperthyroid
Disease and Pancreatic Cancer and my Mother being rushed to the
hospital...I wasn't as watchful in regard to the health of my
kitties...Poss caught a cold while these things were going on........I
noticed he seemed lethargic and had a yellowish tint to his former pink
ear.... Off to the vet we went on the 27th.

Don't know anything about this, but am sending healthy thoughts and purrs
for all of you. You've been through the ropes lately.

Pam S.

Old June 2nd 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

":-)Liz" wrote in message
Got the news that my PossRat has this.. :-( Feline Infectious Anemia!!!

Googled your disease + prognosis and got these hits

http://www.petplace.com/cats/feline-...sis/page3.aspx

"The prognosis depends on the severity of the disease and response to
treatment. The prognosis is generally considered good when treated
aggressively with antibiotics, blood transfusions if needed and additional
supportive care. . . The prognosis for recovery is good when hemotropic
mycoplasmosis occurs as a primary problem; up to 75 percent survive the
episode if a definitive diagnosis is made and therapy is instituted. Even
without treatment, about 65 percent of acutely ill cats will survive.
Recovered cats become carriers for an unknown duration of time, possibly
throughout life. Prior exposure does not induce immunity, and recurrence of
disease is theoretically possible, although this rarely happens."

http://ecommons.library.cornell.edu/...04%20Leach.pdf

Didn't read this one to quote. it is a medical article and I'm bad with
those.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1692

Under the section on treatment: "Killing the mycoplasma is only part of the
therapy, however; it's the host's own immune system that is removing the red
blood cells and this must be stopped. Prednisone or a similar steroid
hormone is typically used to suppress this part of the immune system so that
the red blood cells are not removed as quickly. Very sick cats will probably
require blood transfusions to get through the brunt of the infection.
Happily, prognosis is fair if the diagnosis is made in time as cats
generally respond well and quickly to treatment."

There are more websites, but as far as I can see, they pretty much say the
same thing. Hope this helps.

Pam S.

Old June 2nd 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla `=^. .^=`[_2_]

Purrs and prayers send from Kyla and her sick little Mosey
I've never heard of the disease.
Hugs
"Stormmee"
no help except prayers, Lee
:-)Liz ...

Old June 8th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

:-)Liz wrote:
Got the news that my PossRat has this.. :-( Feline Infectious Anemia!!!

Between being robbed...dealing with it and losing Garrr to Hyperthyroid
Disease and Pancreatic Cancer and my Mother being rushed to the hospital...I
wasn't as watchful in regard to the health of my kitties...Poss caught a
cold while these things were going on........I noticed he seemed lethargic
and had a yellowish tint to his former pink ear.... Off to the vet we went
on the 27th.

..
The Vet said as he had such a rough childhood before I rescued him...
Possrat could have contracted the blood parasite then and it stayed dormant
until his system was weak...snip

Lots and lots of purrs and best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek
Old June 12th 08, 03:25 PM
kaicee118 kaicee118 is offline
Junior Member

Liz - my cat Adam has been dealing with Mycoplasma Haemofelis since I got him in 2002. He generally has a flare-up every year, and is having one now.

It's tough - I have to work hard and be very pro-active to get him better each time. But he does get better. The best thing you can do is to make sure he gets all his meds, try to get him to eat and drink as much as possible, and keep him as free from stress as possible.

Please post back and let me know how he's doing - I've never known anyone with a "haemobart" cat before! When Adam was first diagnosed, it was called haemobartonella - now they call it mycoplasma haemofelis.

Best of luck to you and PossRat,

Karen and Adam

Dealing with Terrorists (Nocturne Wins) Enfilade Cat anecdotes 18 April 15th 08 07:32 PM
Success! Marina Cat anecdotes 14 December 17th 07 08:44 PM
Dealing with all the new spam AlexZ Cat health & behaviour 25 May 1st 06 05:48 PM
Success! Nina K Pettis Cat anecdotes 3 March 14th 05 06:42 PM
Dealing with a Travelling Rug Bev Cat anecdotes 2 November 24th 04 12:16 AM