clumping litter stuck in paw!

Old April 18th 04, 07:14 PM
boot's mom

Default clumping litter stuck in paw!

ack.

a few questions and thanks in advance.

I noticed miss boots limping a bit yesterday and being after checking
her back feet, I saw that she has dried clumping litter stuck all in
between her toes and her pads.

yuck.

I tried pulling some of it out by hand, and using a wet washcloth but
the stuff is like cement!

she's also a squirmy one and after a few minutes of *that* she just
wasn't into letting me near her long enough to work on it.

will anything clean this stuff off or do I have to take her to the vet
to have it cut out ?

she's relatively old...15...and has a bit of arthritis in her hip which
she's being treated for, but she's not flexible enough to groom her back
legs and feets like she used to which I think is what may have caused
the situation going on now.

she's been using the regular large curd clay litter all her
life...fresh step brand only...she's suuuuuuuuper picky...any other
brand and i'm running around with the simple solution sprayer... I
switched her to clumping a month or so ago to better monitor her urine
volume...she had some very mildly elevated levels of this and that, and
her vet wanted me to watch her fluid intake and output for any changes
for the next few months.

so, I thought the clumping stuff might be a good solution.

shyeah, right.

i'd like to keep her on the clumping stuff, but if they all cause this
masonry problem, yikes.

is there a brand or type of this kind of litter that isn't
so...adherent? or should I just switch her back to the regular clay?

Old April 18th 04, 09:43 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , boot's mom
at
wrote on 4/18/04 1:14 PM:

[...]

When this happened to one of mine, I just kept picking at it and gradually
got it out over a few days. It all will clump like that. Probably (ick I
know) she accidentally stepped in damp litter.

Karen

Old April 18th 04, 11:34 PM
Elizabeth

When my 21-yr old mostly blind cat ran into the same problem due to failing
kidneys and 200 cc per day fluid infusions I'd hold her with her back foot
in a
container (like margarine tub) of warm body-temp water. The stuff softened
in minutes without irritating her feet, which could then be gently towel
dried.

Elizabeth

Old April 19th 04, 12:35 AM
Barb

This happened with my Pepper cat and I made her stop putting her paw in my
bath water. She was going into the litter with a wet paw so it was clumping
onto her paw. I got the litter off by soaking the paw in a paper cup of
warm water.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,