Another Reason for Indoor Cats

Old October 11th 14, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Another Reason for Indoor Cats

On 10/5/2014 9:32 PM, Larry Stark wrote:
On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 11:38:28 -0700, "Sylvia M"
wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
On 10/4/2014 12:56 PM, MaryL wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message

On 10/4/2014 11:36 AM, MaryL wrote:

Mary, I was trying to follow up with a reply to you,
unfortunately when
you reply underneath a signature line it grays out and
Thunderbird
deletes your reply right along with the sig line (per my
settings). You
might consider deleting sig lines before you reply.

Jill

~~~~~~~~
Thanks, Jill. I must admit that I have been puzzled about
where to
start my replies when someone used a sig line after the "--".

I'm still using Windows Live Mail, and I know it is a terrible
program
(and annoying to me). People are probably tired of me saying
that I
would like to use Thunderbird, and then coming up with the
tired excuse
that I still haven't taken the time to learn how to use it.
Perhaps
your message will serve to motivate me. )

MaryL

I've been using Thunderbird since I got this computer, and it
drives me crazy. Every time I open the program it takes forever
downloading messages, spam and who knows what else before I can
even look at an email or a newsgroup post. The spam does go
into a separate folder where I can delete it, but the time lag
is really annoying. If I could find another free program that
supported newsgroups, I'd drop Thunderbird in a minute.

Joy

Have you considered Eternal September?
It's free, seems normal to me, but I believe it does not support
binaries
Sylvia

I use Eternal September with no problem but like you said no binaries
which is why I use FB so I can post my pics.

I post using Thunderbird via NIN. NIN doesn't support binaries but
there are tons of free photo hosting sites out there.

Jill
Old October 12th 14, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2014-10-11 8:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:

No, they didn't get a picture of the rabid coyote. They had to kill it
in order to test it for rabies. I wouldn't post a picture of a dead
animal even if I had one available.

So maybe there's a bit of scaremongering going on.

Nope. That picture was one of just many easily found in my area (now
that I know we have them in South Carolina). Just because there are no
coyotes in the UK doesn't mean a thing.

I'm sure coyotes can get as big as that, but it might be unusual.

I think it's probably pretty common for coyotes to get big.

There is a theory that as coyotes migrated east, they interbred with
wolves along the way. Whatever the cause, eastern coyotes are bigger
than the western ones, and there's some suspicion that they may be more
aggressive and more likely to travel and act in groups. Coyotes were
first spotted in western Newfoundland, Canada in 1985 (described as
"wolf-like dogs"), and were confirmed when one was hit by a car in 1987.
They are now in the eastern part of the island - as far east as you can
get in North America. As far as anyone knows, they made their own way
here, across the ice in the winter.

Although like most wild animals, they usually don't threaten humans -
the bigger ones have done so sometimes. A hiker was killed by two
coyotes in Nova Scotia in 2009. Local sheep farmers - some of whom have
given up raising sheep, or so I hear - hate the coyotes because they go
after lambs and sheep, and I expect they (the coyotes, not the farmers)
consider cat a nice little addition to the diet.

--
Cheryl
Old October 12th 14, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 2014-10-11 8:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:

[...]

I didn't know there were coyotes in SC until I saw the article in the
news last month. There were enough reasons to keep my cat Persia inside
without worrying about coyotes.

Jill
Old October 13th 14, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 10/4/2014 10:29 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
Sorry, not trying to dredge up the age old debate again but I've just
discovered another reason for keeping cats indoors in South Carolina,
USA. Coyotes!

I always thought of coyotes as being a "western" US critter.
Apparently
they have migrated:

http://www.thestate.com/2014/09/29/3...d-to.html?rh=1

A rabid coyote bit a person in Okatie, SC on September 29th. They are
as big as, and often mistaken for, German Shepherds. The coyote
tested
positive for rabies. The person is undergoing treatment. (Another
reason to keep cats - and dogs - indoors... rabies.)

Until I saw the headline in a [different] local newspaper I had no
idea
there were coyotes in South Carolina.

Jill

Wow! I didn't think coyotes were that big. It is indeed a consideration
when you have pets.

Judith

Did you look at the picture in the link? Not the same coyote, mind you,
but it's pretty darn big!

Jill

ah, not the same coyote.

No, they didn't get a picture of the rabid coyote. They had to kill it in
order to test it for rabies. I wouldn't post a picture of a dead animal
even if I had one available.

Of course you wouldn't, I wouldn't expect you to

So maybe there's a bit of scaremongering going on.

Nope. That picture was one of just many easily found in my area (now that
I know we have them in South Carolina). Just because there are no coyotes
in the UK doesn't mean a thing.

Did I say it did? I'm not trying to rubbish your pic or concerns but if the
media in the USA is like it is here, they always show the worst scenario
i.e. the largest, most dangerous looking example of whatever they are
covering.

I'm sure coyotes can get as big as that, but it might be unusual.

I think it's probably pretty common for coyotes to get big.

I'm sure *some* male coyotes can get very big, which does not mean they are
all as big as German Shepherds.

According to this website, the males go up to 35lbs, far short of the 65lbs
my German shepherd was.
http://www3.northern.edu/natsource/MAMMALS/Coyote1.htm

So, they are not a lot bigger than the foxes we have here. I am not proud
of the fact that I once trapped foxes in catch alive traps but at the time
it needed to be done as they were here every night & day after my chickens,
and enough was enough when I came home from work one day and found a fox
still killing my hens - it had already killed 18 out of 22.
The biggest male fox I caught over 3 years, was 28lbs - huge. The smallest
vixen was 10lbs.

I don't see anywhere I look on the internet that coyotes will ever be as big
as a German Shepherd, so that is why I suggested scaremongering.
It was not an attack on you, just that even though I don't have coyotes
here, if one was as big a German Shepherd you'd have a serious problem.
They aren't though. The media is teasing you.

Old October 13th 14, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

On 2014-10-11 8:13 PM, jmcquown wrote:

[...]

I am sure coyotes will eat cats, and so will some foxes here, but I'd like a
link to a human being killed by two coyotes, unless he'd fallen and was
lying badly injured out in the wilds.
Reminder to self...
Don't try a mountain/wild area on your own.

Old October 13th 14, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
JJ[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

What did you do with the foxes after you caught them? What are (or were)
the laws in your area?

Jay

Old October 13th 14, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2014-10-13 4:29 PM, Christina Websell wrote:

I am sure coyotes will eat cats, and so will some foxes here, but I'd like a
link to a human being killed by two coyotes, unless he'd fallen and was
lying badly injured out in the wilds.
Reminder to self...
Don't try a mountain/wild area on your own.

I've walked in the woods on and off all my life, alone and with others.
I was brought up to know the risks and what ones are worth taking and
what ones not. Since coyotes are a new risk and a new species here,
I've naturally kept myself informed about them, especially since they
adapt well to urban living and most of my walking these days is in an
urban setting.

The woman who was killed by coyotes was healthy, young, and on a public
hiking trail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Mitchell

I was mistaken when I said two coyotes attacked her; that was reported,
but three of the coyotes that were trapped and killed were proven to
have been involved in the attack. Initial speculation that she did
something stupid like try to feed them was not borne out by the
investigation; she appears to have been doing nothing more than walking
along a popular trail

--
Cheryl
Old October 13th 14, 10:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"JJ" wrote in message ...
What did you do with the foxes after you caught them?

Immediately phoned my foxman who came within an hour to put some lead in
their ear.

What are (or were)
the laws in your area?

for foxes? If they annoy you around your chickens you can blast their
head off if you have a licensed gun.. they are classed as vermin but most of
us don't have guns.
when I saw the vixen killing my chickens I nearly went mad beause I could
not do anything about it. but Foxman did.

Old October 14th 14, 01:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon[_4_]

I am sure coyotes will eat cats, and so will some foxes here, but I'd like a
link to a human being killed by two coyotes, unless he'd fallen and was
lying badly injured out in the wilds.
Reminder to self...
Don't try a mountain/wild area on your own.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_attacks_on_humans
Two fatal coyote attacks have been confirmed by experts:

In August, 1981, a coyote attacked three-year-old Kelly Keen in the
driveway of her Glendale, California home and ran off with her. She was
rescued by her father and rushed to the hospital, but died in surgery
due to blood loss and a broken neck.[2][4]

In October 2009, Taylor Mitchell, a 19-year-old Canadian folk
singer on break from a concert tour, died from injuries and blood loss
sustained in an attack by two eastern coyotes in Cape Breton Highlands
National Park in Nova Scotia, Canada.[5]

plenty of reported attacks on children.
Mostly in California.

Reminder to Christina: Good reason why hikers
carry a hiking stick.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Old October 14th 14, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On 2014-10-13 4:29 PM, Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Yikes. I read an article over the weekend that the last part of the US
that doesn't have coyotes is Long Island NY, but that it is expected
they will arrive shortly. The only reason that they haven't so far is
that New York City and water islolate Long Island. The article
discussed the problem that roaming cats will face.