Counting stray cats while cycling at night

Old February 15th 15, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Carroll[_2_]

Default Counting stray cats while cycling at night

"Christina Websell" writes:

I'm not going to enter into an argument. It's my opinion that cats like to
go out in UK and they should. If I adopted a cat from a shelter here they
wouldn't let me keep it totally in the house.

I adopted a pair of cats in the UK from a shelter and we were honest
about intending to keep them indoors. The RSPCA guy came for a home
visit and was quite interested to hear about indoor cats -- the idea
was clearly new to him -- but we explained more and he had no problem
with it and adopted the cats.

-- Mark
Old February 15th 15, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Carroll[_2_]

Mark Carroll writes:
(snip)
we explained more and he had no problem with it and adopted the cats.

Ha, sorry for the ambiguity, *we* adopted the cats. (-:

-- Mark
Old February 16th 15, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

buglady wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Having fewer stray cats in Europe nowadays probably helps keep the
bubonic plague away. You all were nearly wiped out and traumatized by
the bubonic plague, makes sense that you are scared to death of stray
animals. I hope something like that never happens here, but I fear it
could.

..........Huh? Bubonic plague comes from fleas on rats or other
rodents.

Obviously it can come from fleas on cats too. Fleas are equal
opportunity biters. Otherwise they wouldn't bite us.

Cats killed rats. Unfortunately cats can be killed by the plague too,
so things only got worse over time.

My guess is that depending on cats to kill rats was one of their
problems. Using cats is probably better than using poison and traps, but
better would be cleaning up after themselves. Avoid attracting the rats
in the first place.

The major factor of spread was the rats on the ships, which
transported it all over. And there already is bubonic plague here
popping up occasionally in AZ.

http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oids/vector/plague/

That's very interesting.

.........She's saying the cats in the UK are owned, not strays, not
that there aren't cats all over outside.

I C. I should have been more precise in my wording.

--

buglady take out the dog before replying

Old February 16th 15, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote:

"John Doe" wrote:

I bought a powerful LED headlamp. Took it for a ride after dark
two nights ago...In my peripheral vision, in the light's outer
coverage area, without turning my head to look, I could see
all the little pairs of cat eyes peering at me on the way to the
store.

The modern LED headlamp is like having car headlights strapped to
your forhead.

I would find a lot of of eyes from cats who are allowed out as
indoor/outdoor cats. Including Boyfie.

So you were playing semantics because you disagree with the idea that
keeping a cat outside might be wrong?

Of course there is no way to tell just by looking from a distance
whether a cat is owned or not.
Old February 16th 15, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Mark Carroll wrote in :

Mark Carroll writes:

we explained more and he had no problem with it and adopted the cats.

Ha, sorry for the ambiguity, *we* adopted the cats. (-:

FWIW... Yeah, it was ambiguous, but I read "out" into it. As in "he adopted
out the cats".

Old February 16th 15, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 2/15/2015 6:09 PM, John Doe wrote:
My guess is that depending on cats to kill rats was one of their
problems. Using cats is probably better than using poison and traps, but
better would be cleaning up after themselves. Avoid attracting the rats
in the first place.

..........Um, this was the Middle Ages. Just how clean do you think it
was? And they did not understand the connection between filth and germs
or pests.

Old February 16th 15, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

buglady wrote:

John Doe wrote:

My guess is that depending on cats to kill rats was one of their
problems. Using cats is probably better than using poison and traps,
but better would be cleaning up after themselves. Avoid attracting
the rats in the first place.

this was the Middle Ages. Just how clean do you think it was?

Don't really know. I'm sure it varied from one locale to another.

And they did not understand the connection between filth and germs or
pests.

But seriously. Noticing that breadcrumbs attract ants, cockroaches, or
rats is not a high level process.
Old February 16th 15, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Christina Websell

"Mark Carroll" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" writes:

I'm not going to enter into an argument. It's my opinion that cats like
go out in UK and they should. If I adopted a cat from a shelter here
they
wouldn't let me keep it totally in the house.

I adopted a pair of cats in the UK from a shelter and we were honest
about intending to keep them indoors. The RSPCA guy came for a home
visit and was quite interested to hear about indoor cats -- the idea
was clearly new to him -- but we explained more and he had no problem
with it and adopted the cats.

-- Mark

That surprises me. I'd like to believe you. but I don't. As much as I
don't like the RSPCA, I hope they won't ever adopt cats out for a totally
indoor home or I'll like them even less.
Cats are best indoor/outdoor. Outdoor for a bit of hunting mousies and
ratties and indoor when they prefer the bed by the fire.
I would not have a cat to keep it totally inside in the UK and I'm amazed
that the RSPCA have agreed.

Old February 16th 15, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe[_2_]

So now this troll is saying that cats should be outside "to hunt mousies
and ratties". Maybe they should be outside playing with skunks and
raccoons, vectors for rabies...

From: "Christina Websell" spamfree tinawebsell.wanadoo.co.uk
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: Counting stray cats while cycling at night
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 00:27:56 -0000

"Mark Carroll" mtbc ixod.org wrote in message
news:87lhjy7sfv.fsf ixod.org...

Old February 16th 15, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(PeteCresswell)

Per Dick Ballard:
I get the impression from some sources that NOT
allowing one's pet cat to free roam is considered a form of abuse by
many in Britain.

Couple years back I saw a documentary about a guy who studied cats in
the UK.

His method was to recruit a number of cat owners who agreed to seal
anything their cat brought home in a plastic bag and freeze it until the
investigator came around periodically to collect and catalog them.

I can't recall the numbers, but he found that each made quite a dent in
the local small animal population.
--
Pete Cresswell