Protecting leather furniture

Old January 23rd 04, 12:34 PM
Stuart Reed

Default Protecting leather furniture

I'm about to buy a leather sofa. Any advice about training/preventing cats
from damaging it?

TIA
Stuart Reed

Old January 23rd 04, 01:12 PM
Hans Schrøder

"Stuart Reed" wrote in message
I'm about to buy a leather sofa. Any advice about training/preventing cats
from damaging it?

It is always risky to buy expensive furniture in a home where cats live. If
the sofa is made of real leather, the smell will be irresistible to the
cats. But, of course you can train them. If you, from day one, tell them not
to scratch the sofa, they will learn after a while. A simple and strong
"NO!" combined, maybe, by a squirt of water from a bottle, will do the
trick. BTW, declawing is NOT a solution!

Good luck, and keep in mind: Cats rule the house, furniture doesn't...

--
Hans
Do I like cats? Yes! Do I care for chairs and sofas? Well....

Old January 27th 04, 03:56 AM
lakinapook

snipp
It is always risky to buy expensive furniture in a home where cats live. If
the sofa is made of real leather, the smell will be irresistible to the
cats. But, of course you can train them. If you, from day one, tell them not
to scratch the sofa, they will learn after a while. A simple and strong
"NO!" combined, maybe, by a squirt of water from a bottle, will do the
trick. BTW, declawing is NOT a solution!

Agreed!

My cats scratch up one "authorized" chair, if they go for any of the
other furniture, I startle them with a loud yell or spritz them with
the water bottle if one is near me at the time. I also slipcover my
furniture just in case. I figure if the slipcover gets ruined I just
get a new one. But ultimately I made the decision that my cats are
more important than furniture. I can always get new furniture. I
also regularly trim their claws, that cuts down on the scratching of
furniture quite a bit.

Old January 29th 04, 02:35 AM
Stepdawn

"Stuart Reed" wrote in message
I'm about to buy a leather sofa. Any advice about training/preventing cats
from damaging it?

TIA
Stuart Reed

We just got two new cats from shelters, one is a kitten and one is three,
and neither of them have scratched our leather living room furniture. They
aren't interested in it at all. I have heard that cats don't like the
texture of leather for scratching. IOW, you may not even have a problem.

Dawn

Old January 29th 04, 11:06 PM
Drew Eckhardt

In article ,
Stuart Reed wrote:
I'm about to buy a leather sofa. Any advice about training/preventing cats
from damaging it?

My cat ignores the leather couch apart from sitting on it with his people.

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
Life is a terminal sexually transmitted disease.

Old January 30th 04, 12:16 AM

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:34:52 -0000, "Stuart Reed"
wrote:

I'm about to buy a leather sofa. Any advice about training/preventing cats
from damaging it?

TIA
Stuart Reed

My experience has been the opposite of those who have already replied.
My cats ruined my leather chair. The problem is that when they jump
down from the chair, they put out their claws. That puts holes in the
seat of the chair.

I do not know how they put the long scratches onto the seat, but it
was typical cat scratch looking marks. Bottom line in my experience is
that cats and leather did not mix well for me.

I do have a scratching post, I do trim their back claws properly and
they are front declawed.