I think my cat wants to eat my bird! Help!

Old February 18th 04, 04:08 AM
Kafren120

Default I think my cat wants to eat my bird! Help!

I just got a six month old cat a few days ago. I also have a parakeet. I know that my cat is still considerd a kitten but how should I go about teaching my cat that the bird is not going anyware and that it's not okay to stare at him all the time? My cat is not agressive, but has a strong hunting instinct, what should I do?!?
Thanks,
Katherine

Old February 18th 04, 04:09 AM
MaryL

"Kafren120" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
I just got a six month old cat a few days ago. I also have a parakeet. I

know that my cat is still considerd a kitten but how should I go about
teaching my cat that the bird is not going anyware and that it's not okay to
stare at him all the time? My cat is not agressive, but has a strong hunting
instinct, what should I do?!?
Thanks,
Katherine

I don't think you can "train" a cat not to stare at a bird. The likelihood
is that this will become less frequent as each one becomes accustomed to the
presence of the other. In the meantime, do *not* try to bring the bird into
the room uncaged -- in some sort of attempt to thet them "used" to one
another. That would simply be tempting fate at this time. Make sure your
cat is in another room any time you let the bird out of its cage, and make
sure the bird is in a cage that is placed in such a position that it is
*absolutely impossible* to get at it, either by climbing or by knocking the
cage over (and don't forget that cats can leap considerable distances). I
would suggest putting the bird (in its cage) in another room, with door
closed, when you are going to be out of the house. Incidentally, I know
people who have birds that seem to get along fine with the cats -- but I
also know of others where they never did develop this type of relationship.
Your cat is little more than a kitten, so it is possible that he will adapt
as time goes on.

MaryL

Old February 19th 04, 04:10 PM
Sherry

I just got a six month old cat a few days ago. I also have a parakeet. I know
that my cat is still considerd a kitten but how should I go about teaching my
cat that the bird is not going anyware and that it's not okay to stare at him
all the time? My cat is not agressive, but has a strong hunting instinct,
what should I do?!?
Thanks,
Katherine

Katherine, you're going to have to be very careful. I had an eight-year-old
parakeet come to a very bad end by a cat who rarely ever showed interest in the
bird...Be sure the cage is high enough the cat can't reach it, or knock the
stand over. I'd suspend it from the ceiling in an area where the cat can't
climb on anything to reach it. Close the door to the bird's room any time
you're away. It's just such a natural part of being a cat, you can't teach him
to leave it alone. You just have to protect the bird. Good luck! Parakeets are
sweet, personable little birds. I loved mine, but I'll never get another as
long as I have cats.
Sherry