Where is Everyone? Roll Call.

Old November 9th 10, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

Default Where is Everyone? Roll Call.

it sure is a huge responsibility to ask someone to do this if done right,
sorta would take the fun out of reading/posting for me, but then i tend
toward selfish, Lee
"Yowie" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

Sherry wrote:

But, with moderated groups, would we still get new people? With
usenet, it's
easy just to stumble upon the group, or search out cat groups. While
preventing spammers, wouldn't you also be preventing new people too?

Yep. And I object to moderated groups because the moderators can't
know everyone on the planet. Why make someone feel excluded because
they're busy doing... what? checking references? They'll include
their friends or relatives but exclude people they don't know. Or
worse, ban them because they don't agree with something they post.

I also don't want an RPCA forum, but for different reasons. I think it
would just add yet another place for people to go and post, but
wouldn't really solve anything. I do understand that Pat's intent is
that such a forum would *replace* everything else. But unless
everyone's behind it, and it sure doesn't look like they are, that
won't happen. Then we'll just have more clutter - yet another group
to join, or more discussions we'll miss if we don't.

I'm thinking of various attempts by Microsoft to define standards for
various technologies, by reinventing a protocol that already exists,
but with their own definitions. The goal was to subsume all the other
standards and create just one big standard (theirs). Sometimes they've
been successful at this, and they've managed to run the competition
out of town. Other times, they just add to the confusion, with yet
another set of rules that programmers have to worry about supporting
and being compatible with, and that confound customers.

Having said all that, though, I'd like to say a few things in defense
of moderators. I've moderated quite a few email lists over the years.
I had the power to kick people off, or whatever. But my philosophy of
moderating is that I am performing a service, and that I'm there to
enforce the goals of the group, not my personal goals. There've been
plenty of people I would have loved to throw off lists because I
couldn't stand them, but when I was wearing my moderator hat, I
wasn't representing myself, but rather the whole group. So I made
different choices in that role than I might have if I were just
following my personal desires. I'm sure I wasn't perfect at this, but
that was always my conscious intent.

Joyce speaks my mind on this matter.

Yowie

Old November 9th 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 11/08/2010 05:54 PM, cshenk wrote:
Yowie wrote:

protocol. Who knows what a bang path is, anyone?)

Bang path grew the wording from the mainframe community. !F for example,
immediate halt. It shifted meaning of course (grin).

Bang is printer's jargon for the exclamation point. Bang path goes back
to the UUCP (unix to unix copy) method of transferring mail or news
articles from the earliest days of unix, about 1976. Fidonet of blessed
memory used a similar method for sending fido posts from system to system.

Bud
Old November 9th 10, 09:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default RPCA Chat (WAS: Where is Everyone? Roll Call)

"Yowie" wrote in message
Pat wrote:
It may be a wise idea to have a private forum - how about rpca.org or
rpca.net. This way, there would be ZERO spammers, and everyone there
would be authentic. You can set forum software up to enable anyone to
join, or to require admin approval for new accounts. That's a sure way
to keep spammers at bay. Also, it could be set up so that only members
can read, which would put an end to most privacy issues.

Its a question of who owna and/or moderates the group.

We already have catslaves, and the RPCA facebook page, and we've had at
least two RPCA chat rooms (although both are probably defunct by now).
There's the two RPCA photo yahoo groups, and Felinitations the card
exchange group. All sorta kinda mostly work to a greater or lesser extent,
but aren't like here.

The one thing I like about Usenet is that its unmoderated and I can access
it from 'anywhere', and thats both a good thing and a bad thing.

Yowie

The RPCA Chat Room is still there...

On an IRC client use the following server:

xeon.edigic.com
port 6667
#rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

If you use Firefox as a browser and have Chatzilla installed you can
get there via the web thusly:

irc://xeon.edigic.com/rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

The problem is we're scattered all over the world and could never come up
with a good time to chat

Jill

Old November 9th 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_3_]

7.11.2010 20:14, MatSav kirjoitti:

"MatSav", directed here by Wafflycat (Helen Miles) because of her
tales of the Mighty Huntress on another Group (also a shadow of
its former self, news:uk.rec.cycling). Reading and posting here
since August 2005.

Wafflycat isn't Helen Miles, but Helen S.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old November 9th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

And both in the UK (just too many similarities for this aging brain to
remember who is whom) - thank you both for the info. I know there is one
Helen on Facebook, but I don't know which it is.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old November 10th 10, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

"William Hamblen" wrote
cshenk wrote:

protocol. Who knows what a bang path is, anyone?)

Bang path grew the wording from the mainframe community. !F for example,
immediate halt. It shifted meaning of course (grin).

Bang is printer's jargon for the exclamation point. Bang path goes back
to the UUCP (unix to unix copy) method of transferring mail or news
articles from the earliest days of unix, about 1976. Fidonet of blessed
memory used a similar method for sending fido posts from system to system.

Bud, 'bang' dates back to the 50's. It was only later used with pathing as
well. That what i meant with the above.

Old November 10th 10, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
David Stevenson

Debbie Wilson wrote
CatNipped wrote:

Anyway, I would love to know who is still posting or lurking here - those
who haven't given up on trying to recapture what we once had.

Also, if anyone knows why someone left (disliking the group or just likes
Facebook more), I'd like to know that too, if possible.

So my hand is up - Lori Crews (real name optional) aka "CatNipped" began
posting to rec.pets.cats from around 1994 (posting history is optional).

I'm still here, mostly reading, I just prefer Facebook as it's easier to
share photos, and I like the visual aspect apart from anything else.
Anyone who wants to add me, I'm there under Debbie Maizels (Wilson).

I read here, but rarely post. I am still collecting articles, but
have less time generally.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.org/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old November 10th 10, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_3_]

9.11.2010 22:20, CatNipped kirjoitti:
And both in the UK (just too many similarities for this aging brain to
remember who is whom) - thank you both for the info. I know there is one
Helen on Facebook, but I don't know which it is.

They are both there, Helen Miles has the Miles in brackets, but I think
it'd show up in a search, and Wafflycat can be found with Wafflycat.
There are quite a few of us ng people there.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old November 10th 10, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
And both in the UK (just too many similarities for this aging brain to
remember who is whom) - thank you both for the info. I know there is one
Helen on Facebook, but I don't know which it is.

They're both on Facebook, Helen Miles is now Helen Williams. Who
incidentally could do with some get well purrs after just leaving hospital.

--
Adrian (Owned by Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old November 10th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Adrian wrote:

CatNipped wrote:
And both in the UK (just too many similarities for this aging brain to
remember who is whom) - thank you both for the info. I know there is one
Helen on Facebook, but I don't know which it is.

They're both on Facebook, Helen Miles is now Helen Williams. Who
incidentally could do with some get well purrs after just leaving hospital.

What happened?

Joyce

--
Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.

[Felinitations] Roll Call Yowie Cat anecdotes 2 September 19th 09 10:13 PM
Roll-a-cat Mark Edwards Cat anecdotes 3 November 9th 08 02:17 PM
Kitty Roll Call for a possible book Tanada Cat anecdotes 18 May 24th 06 01:58 PM
Kitty Roll Call for a possible book [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 May 21st 06 09:49 PM
Morning Roll Call JHBennett Cat anecdotes 1 October 1st 03 03:46 AM