Any A/C Experts Out There?

Old May 21st 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Any A/C Experts Out There?

DH is gone, and it's the weekend so there's really no one to call.

Something is screwy with the A/C. I set it on 75 four hours ago. It ran
and ran and ran but it didn't seem to be getting any cooler. I just
looked, and the thermostat is still set on 75, but the inside
temperature is 87. And it's still running.

Do house A/C's have freon, like cars? Is it *possible* that it's
something simple like that? If it was *bad*, would the thing run at
all?

Any help appreciated.

Sherry

Old May 21st 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Could be a couple things yes the Freon could have bleed out, depending on
how new the system is the electronic air sensor could be bad. You need to
turn the system off reset it, let it sit for a bit try again if it still
does not cool. Need to call an A/C tech

Yes if it was bad it was still run jut not cool

oups.com...

Old May 21st 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Matthew aka NMR wrote...
Could be a couple things yes the Freon could have bleed out, depending
on how new the system is the electronic air sensor could be bad. You need
to turn the system off reset it, let it sit for a bit try again if it
still does not cool. Need to call an A/C tech Yes if it was bad it was
still run jut not cool

DH is gone, and it's the weekend so there's really no one to call.
Something is screwy with the A/C. I set it on 75 four hours ago. It ran
and ran and ran but it didn't seem to be getting any cooler. I just
looked, and the thermostat is still set on 75, but the inside
temperature is 87. And it's still running.
Do house A/C's have freon, like cars? Is it *possible* that it's
something simple like that? If it was *bad*, would the thing run at
all?
Any help appreciated.
Sherry

I assume this is a central a/c unit, not window or in-wall. Go outside,
where the "big square thing"is beside the house, the fan may be either
separate or attached to it. You'll probably see the fan going...but
look to see if the "big thing" (compressor) is doing its loud humming
noise (not just the fan). Newer units don't use same type freon
as older ones, last few years mandated different gas type for
cleaner air. Many things can go wrong out there. Once my unit
in FL wasn't working because the whole fan had fallen off its
little feet support and plunked down inside the housing; easily
fixed by a professional who knew what he was doing. In that
case, fan was immobile outside, compressor was chugging away
at its job. Let DH look at it all.

Old May 21st 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:
"Matthew aka NMR wrote...
[...]

The big thing sounds normal. The fan is blowing normally. It's just
d*mn hot in the house. It's a heat pump, installed in 1981. A real
senior citizen for an air condition I bet. I'm *really* hoping I get
lucky and it just needs freon. At any rate, I don't think I'll be able
to get anyone to look at it till MOnday.

Sherry

Old May 21st 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[...]

Okay, here's a "Hail Mary" pass suggestion: *Reset* the thermostat
inside your house; mine (that same old FL one) would sometimes
start blasting *hot* air (it, too was a heat pump....great for FL winters,
futile for winters out here!) and needed a swift kick (resetting) to
remember its task. Can't hurt....?

Old May 21st 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I've been installing AC in homes for the last six years. As a part
time job. Someone else gave a really good list of questions to help
diagnose. I'll add a bit to that list.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...

Old May 21st 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Something is screwy with the A/C. I set it on 75 four hours ago. It
ran and ran and ran but it didn't seem to be getting any cooler. I
just looked, and the thermostat is still set on 75, but the inside
temperature is 87. And it's still running.

CY: First thing to do, check the thermostat. Is the switch (or setting
on an electronic) set to "cool"? You say it's set to 75, which is
good.

Do house A/C's have freon, like cars? Is it *possible* that it's
something simple like that? If it was *bad*, would the thing run at
all?

CY: Freon is a brand name for refrigerant. Like Mobil is a brand for
gasoline. Refrigerants are known by number. Cars used to use R-12,
until about 1993. and then they were changed over to R-134A. Building
AC used R-22, and actually, that's still in use. There is a new stuff
called puron, and I can't remember the R number. Freon doesn't go bad
unless the compressor burns out, which is unlikely here. However, it
does sometimes leak out.

If this is the first time that the unit is being used this year, the
problem is more likely to be electrical.

Or it could be something simple like a
fuse or circuit breaker! [my guess, too]

Make sure that the unit *is* actually coming on
when it's supposed to (not just the blower inside the house, but the
actual
A/C unit itself). What this means. Go outdoors and stand next to the
outdoor unit. Is air blowing out the top of the unit? Can you hear the
compressor running? Is there a buzzing noise? Or maybe a buzzing noise
and no fan, and no compressor?

If it is, then the coolant needs to be checked. [possible, but more
likely electrical problem is what I'm thinking.]

Another
thing is, the line that carries the coolant from the A/C unit to the
blower
could freeze. We had that happen at an apartment we lived in once,
the line
froze solid so the coolant couldn't get into the blower, therefore the
blower was blowing tepid air. [Actually, the "frozen solid" line still
carries refrigerant. The problem is that the coil over the furnace or
in the attic freezes solid. This prevents air flow through the coil,
sometimes a bit of air goes around the coil. But refrigerant is still
moving through the copper tubes.]

Old May 21st 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Matthew, what is your background in AC?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Old May 21st 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Heat pumps have a valve called a "reversing valve" which are famous
for going bad. That's very possible the problem.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...