Ok Thanksgiving around the corner

Old November 18th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

Default Ok Thanksgiving around the corner

In my opinion the dressing and gravy are as important as the turkey itself.
Here's how I make mine:

Combine:

Boiled brown rice + dried bread hunks and crumbs, about 3:1
Mix in sauteed minced onion + celery, about 1 part vegies to 4 parts
rice/bread. I like to use about half celery and half onion, sautéed in olive
oil and seasoned with salt + pepper.
Now add sage and fill the bird. Stuffing should be cool not hot when you
stuff.

Gravy:

Make a roux then add juice sucked up from the roaster and whisk until
smooth, then simmer on low for a few minutes. You can add some plain water
if you need to thin the mixture in the skillet. I add a bit of soy sauce for
extra flavor.

Note: Sometimes I add wild rice to the stuffing. If you do that, make sure
it's well cooked. It takes longer to soften than regular rice. You can also
use dried cornbread instead of wheat bread for the crumbs, if you prefer.