kitten spayed. Just noticed.

Old January 15th 04, 07:02 PM
tracy

Default kitten spayed. Just noticed.

my kitten has just been spayed and I have just noticed that unlike any
of my previous cats that i have had done, she hasn't got her paw
shaved. Why? Could she have been given gas instead? watching her at
the moment she looks like she has been out on the beer all night. I
could do with some of what she has had!!! LOL
Old January 17th 04, 08:33 PM
tracy

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:26:14 GMT, Laura R.
wrote:

circa 15 Jan 2004 21:56:29 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Yngver
) said,
my kitten has just been spayed and I have just noticed that
unlike any
of my previous cats that i have had done, she hasn't got her paw
shaved. Why? Could she have been given gas instead? watching her
at
the moment she looks like she has been out on the beer all night.
could do with some of what she has had!!! LOL

Possibly, but often vets use a fast-acting intravenous anesthesia
first before
administering gas. I don't recall that any of our cats had shaved
paws for
their spays.

It usually depends on how easily the vet finds a vein in the cat and
whether the vet automatically shaves before checking. If the kitty
didn't need to be shaved to find a vein, that is a very good thing,
trust me. It means that the cat either has good veins, the vet/vet
tech is a very good "poker", or both. Regardless, it's occasion for
happiness. (I learned a whole lot about cats' veins and whatnot when
Alex went through chemo. Good veins and/or skilled needlers are
*great*.)

Laura

Thanks for the answer Laura. Another thing I have noticed is that TED
said her stitches would dissolve and would not need any removed, so
why has she got one stitch at the one end of her incision exposed.
Should i call in case she has bitten or licked it out her self or just
leave it as it is?

TIA
Tracy & Tilly.

Old January 17th 04, 09:14 PM
tracy

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:53:45 GMT, Laura R.
wrote:

circa Sat, 17 Jan 2004 20:33:18 +0000, in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
tracy ) said,
Thanks for the answer Laura. Another thing I have noticed is that
TED
said her stitches would dissolve and would not need any removed,
so
why has she got one stitch at the one end of her incision exposed.
Should i call in case she has bitten or licked it out her self or
just
leave it as it is?

Whoops, if you're just worried about the fact that it's exposed,
don't. Can you see a knot in it?

Laura

She was spayed on tuesday. there is a knot in it yes.

Old January 17th 04, 09:57 PM
tracy

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:30:34 GMT, Laura R.
wrote:

circa Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:14:31 +0000, in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
tracy ) said,
Thanks for the answer Laura. Another thing I have noticed is
that
TED
said her stitches would dissolve and would not need any
removed,
so
why has she got one stitch at the one end of her incision
exposed.
Should i call in case she has bitten or licked it out her self
or
just
leave it as it is?

Whoops, if you're just worried about the fact that it's exposed,
don't. Can you see a knot in it?

Laura

Thanks laura. Your answer has really helped. It has been around 2yrs
since i last had a cat spayed and as like many other things i suppose
things do change. Where do you get all your knowledge from? What fur
babies do you have? Tilly, (the one causing all the worrying) is one
of three that i have. The others are Tabby, a LH tabby cat who is
around 11-12yrs and boots, a ginger tom, who is around 8-9. Tilly is
still only a baby at 6mnths and is a joy. I got her when she was
around 8wks old according to the person I had her off. Personally i
think she was younger as when she lies on her blanket she has happy
feet and sucks the thing that she is lying on. Is this because she
left her mom too soon? None of the others have had many problems
except tabby when she was around 2yrs old. She got run over and had to
have a major operation as i can't recall what is what called, but her
intsetines had somehow got through a hole and into her chest cavity.
She was a ted's for three days and had all her stomach hair and more
shaved. TED was worried because she would not eat while there but made
up for it when she came home. Must be something about missing me, I
hope!!!!
sorry for the long reply but once i started i couldnt't seem
to stop typing. Where R U from? (Just out of interest)

Thanks again
Tracy, Tabby, Boots, Tilly & DS Daniel.

She was spayed on tuesday. there is a knot in it yes.

Oh, then I wouldn't worry *at all*. Give the stitches at least a
week, preferably a bit more, to dissolve, and that external stitch
is
simply the anchoring knot, so no cause for alarm.

Laura