Cats pupils larger on one side

Old January 18th 05, 02:20 AM
Mike

Default Cats pupils larger on one side

My cats' pupils have suddenly grown different sizes, one is quite a bit
larger than the other. Naturally I'm quite concerned (stroke/blood clot?),
and she'll be in the vets first thing tomorrow morning. From what I can see
they are both reacting to light, although one still remains larger than the
other.

Is there any easy explanation for this, or is it a guaranteed serious
problem? Could it be caused by anything else other than a clot on the brain?

Mike

Old January 18th 05, 05:54 AM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 02:20:55 +0000, Mike wrote:

My cats' pupils have suddenly grown different sizes, one is quite a bit
larger than the other. Naturally I'm quite concerned (stroke/blood clot?),
and she'll be in the vets first thing tomorrow morning. From what I can see
they are both reacting to light, although one still remains larger than the
other.

Is there any easy explanation for this, or is it a guaranteed serious
problem? Could it be caused by anything else other than a clot on the brain?

Mike

TuTu has one pupil larger than the other. Nearsighted eyes usually have
larger pupils and I attributed it to one eye being this way. When I first
had the Vet check her out, I called it to her attention and she did not
seem to be concerned about it. I suppose cats can have eye problems as
well as humans especially when they are foundling and go through a period
of starvation. MLB

Old January 18th 05, 09:48 PM
Zythophile

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
[...]

It does need to be checked out as at worst it could be sign of some brain
damage. However, as MLB says, it could just be one of those things,
especially if there are no other symptons. ISTR that David Bowie is alledged
to have one blue and one brown eye, but in fact both eyes are blue, it's
just that one pupil is very large making that eye look brown from a
distance. Maybe you have a Bowie cat?
www.makepovertyhistory.org

Old January 20th 05, 06:54 PM
Mike

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
Sounds like maybe a stroke? Did the blood pressure get checked? That is
important because treating high blood pressure would be paramount and her
sight could come back if it was caused by that and is treated quickly
(although usually you hear of both eyes going blind).

Vet didn't think it was a stroke as they'd be other symptoms, but localised
to the face/eye region. Didn't check the blood pressure from what I saw.

Mike

Old January 20th 05, 07:27 PM
jamie

Mike wrote:

Vet seems to think half her face is paralyzed, since her blink reactions are
sluggish on one side. I can't remember entirely what the condition was
called, but its same as the ones humans get. No other symptoms so it could
also be a detached retina (seems she can't see out of one eye).

Bell's Palsy?

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."