Cat fur colour question

Old January 18th 05, 04:21 AM
Yowie

Default Cat fur colour question

There are rules to cat colour.

I know that, for example, ginger pusses have to be tabbies, alhtough you can
breed them sot hat the "tabby" is barely noticeable..
There are two types of 100% white cats. There are genetically 100% white
cats, and there are white cats that also have colour genes but aren't being
expressed because of a dominant white gene.
I think that only girl cats cats can be calicos
That "ticking" is a form of tabby marking
That the "points" marking is seperate, and so you can have a cat that is
only noticable tabby on the points
That there is such a thing as "diluted" colour, and a grey cat can well be a
genetic black cat that also has the "Diluted" gene, but a grey tabby isn't
necessarily one that carried "diluted black" genes. And then tere are the
"tipped" cats that can be black on the outside and white (or grey) on the
inside, or white on the inside with 'lilac' on the outside etc etc,

Or something like that anyway.

And looking at IBKFergus, despite him looking black, he definatley has tabby
marks in the right light, and his underfur is definatley a lighter colour
than his outer fur.

So my question is, is there a difference between black tabby and black
solid?

And does the classic tuxedo kitty have tabby marks in the right light?

Yowie

Old January 18th 05, 04:31 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Yowie at
wrote on 1/17/05 10:21 PM:

[...]

With Sugar and Grant you can definitely see rings in their tail in the
sunlight. pearl is definitely BLACK. No rings or brownish color.

Old January 18th 05, 05:43 AM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:21:59 +1100, Yowie wrote:

[...]

Probably depends on the individual cat. Genetics would be an interesting
study field. MLB

Old January 18th 05, 10:08 AM
Tish Silberbauer

I can't answer your question, except that I've heard somewhere that
all black cats are really tabbies.

Almost all calicos and tortiseshell cats are female. You can get the
very rare male calico / tortiseshell, but he will have a genetic
defect such that instead of having the normal XY sex-determination
chromosomes, he has XXY. It is called kleinfelter's syndrome.

I have a question of my own. Spock has a very unusual coat pattern -
he is a dark grey tabby on the surface, but if you part his coat, his
pattern is only on the very tips of his hair/fur - the bulk of his fur
is a light beige / cream colour. Can anyone explain this to me? Is
there any such thing as a cat having the "point" gene on all their
hair such that the bit of fur that is exposed to cold (the outer edge
of fur) turns dark and all the rest is light? For what it's worth,
his tail hairs and head hairs are dark all the way to their roots.

Tish - who did some genetics *years* ago, but never had a talent for
it.

Old January 18th 05, 11:25 AM
Marie Lawrence

It sounds as if he might be a "smoke" that is, his fur is very pale near
the skin, but each hair has a darker tip. I used to have a chocolate
smoke Oriental, he looked as if his coat was watered silk, specially on
his head. Marie from OZ

Old January 18th 05, 11:30 AM
Marie Lawrence

Your cat would be called a 'silver tabby' , it is the same gene as the
"smoke'. this is distinguished by the pale colour at the root of the hair,
and the darker colour at the tip.

Marie from OZ

Old January 18th 05, 02:21 PM
Helen Miles

"Yowie" wrote in message

So my question is, is there a difference between black tabby and black
solid?///

Yes. It's a melanistic tabby, in the same way that you get a melanistic
(black) jaguar or a melanistic leopard. HRFL Tiger is exactly the same -
in the right light you can clearly see his tabby-ness, and in his kitten
coat which was a muddy brown/black you could actually *see* the faint
stripes. It's cause by a rogue gene.

Helen M

Old January 18th 05, 04:36 PM
CK

Yowie wrote:
snip
And looking at IBKFergus, despite him looking black, he definatley has tabby
marks in the right light, and his underfur is definatley a lighter colour
than his outer fur.

snip

Laku is exactly like that. His outer, "cover" fur, is black and his
softer underfur is greyish, but you don't see the underfur unless you
part the outer fur. Also under direct strong lamplight or sunlight he
has definite reddish brown tabby markings.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Old January 18th 05, 05:23 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:13:20 +0000 (UTC), Cheryl Perkins
yodeled:

Yowie wrote:

So my question is, is there a difference between black tabby and black
solid?

And does the classic tuxedo kitty have tabby marks in the right light?

Some of them do. Some don't seem to. I tried reading a bit about cat
colour genetics once, and I decided that if they had used cats instead of
pea plants and human eye colour (the simplified version) in basic biology,
I never would have passed it. Cat colour genetics are complicated!

Cat color genetics make my head explode. :P I've never seen stripes
on Stinky's black areas.

Theresa
Old January 18th 05, 05:24 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:21:45 +0000 (UTC), "Helen Miles"
yodeled:

"Yowie" wrote in message

So my question is, is there a difference between black tabby and black
solid?///

Yes. It's a melanistic tabby, in the same way that you get a melanistic
(black) jaguar or a melanistic leopard. HRFL Tiger is exactly the same -
in the right light you can clearly see his tabby-ness, and in his kitten
coat which was a muddy brown/black you could actually *see* the faint
stripes. It's cause by a rogue gene.

Helen M

Ooooh, a rogue gene!!!

Theresa