at what age are the FelV and FIV tests accurate?

Old June 29th 04, 03:28 AM
~*Connie*~

It totally depends on the situation. An exclusive relationship between
mother and kittens I would tend to agree with you, but if there is any
mingling of families, it happens. (aka a shelter environment or a large
feral colony)

On testing kittens and having experamented with tests I have never yet
found a kitten less then 12 weeks to be positive where the kittens
mother has been negative and I've also never seen a positive mother who
didn't also have positive kittens. It might be a bit of a waste of
money having to test all the kittens and put them through that where its
possible to test the mother.

Old June 29th 04, 03:40 AM
~*Connie*~

"Willows" wrote in message

This being said. Getting Felv is not easy. I have had it in my home

twice,
and my resident, well established cats have not gotten it. My younger
(under a year) one did. However, he only ever tested positive, he

never
came down with symptoms, and with some loving care, high quality food,

and
high doses of vitamin C, he now tests negative.

Just so you know your cat never had it, he tested positive because he
was showing exposure to it but managed to fight it off and never got the
virus which is why he is now negative. There is no cure for Felv so he
could never have had the virus.

I would suggest you read the book The Very Healthy Cat Book: A Vitamin and
Mineral Program for Optimal Feline Cat
by Wendell O. Belfield
and/or check out http://www.wholisticanimal.com/fip.html

There are a lot of studies on the effectiveness of Vitamin C and its ability
to fight off a varity of devistating illnesses in cats.

Jack tested positive for Felv twice, six weeks apart after a known exposure
to an felv / fip positive cat (long story). All five of my cats had high
"FIP titers" Now all five are negative. I'll never not give vitamin c to
any cats I own.

Id also like to know how you think that he could be exposed to a virus, and
make antibodies to it, but not actually "have" it. He was exposed to it,
it was in his system, but he did not get sick from it. it happens all the
time.