South FL Cats' Taste in Music

Old August 10th 03, 10:47 PM
Hopitus2

Default South FL Cats' Taste in Music

In a cleaning frenzy this stormy afternoon, we blasted not our usual
housecleaning "house" or "techno" music, but I reached deep into my hard
drive and played old purloined (yes! a tune pirate!) Napster goodies at top
volume.....all 3 of the short furry dictators fled under the beds upon
Robert Palmer's oldie, "Bad Case of Loving You"! The slaves added to their
indignities by collapsing in hysterical laughter, while 3 pairs of glowering
cat eyes were visible peering out from the bedskirts. Maria Callas' "Un Bel
Di" produced the same result
(at least the slavemasters can't say their hoomins lack musical diversity)!
Reflecting upon the sad story of Madam Butterfly was not condusive to
efficient housecleaning, however, and we considered Nine Inch Nails' "The
Fragile" to finish our tasks, but decided the poor felines would probably
have nervous breakdowns from that one.....sooooooooooo, thinking only that I
could "sing along" in Spanish to one of my fave oldies, punched in Richie
Valens
and "LaBamba"....all 3 cats emerged from their "cave" and settled on their
couch perches as usual, seeming to be actually soothed by my last choice in
tunes! Either we have Hispanic cats or they are R. Valens aficionados
(unlikely, no?) OR their sensitive little eardrums, attuned to high-pitched
sounds, were affronted by our early sound bytes for cleaning. I played
"LaBamba" again, and they are all actually asleep now near the speakers.
Cats are strange.

Old August 11th 03, 12:58 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Margaret Fine had some very interesting things
to say about South FL Cats' Taste in Music:

LOL! Oliver really likes the sound track to Disney's Tarzan. He'll
actually sit near the speakers when I play that. A friend suggested I
get another Phil Collins CD to see if it is the soundtrack or Phil
Collins he likes. He also likes Limp Bizkit and The Beatles but
curiously enough doesn't really care for The Lion King soundtrack!

Felix once actually requested the "Cats" video [he led me to the
entertainment center and stared quite urgently up at that tape, which
was lying on top of the VCR. When I asked him if that was what he
wanted to watch, he power-purred]. Yes, we watched it. :-)

--
"Don't mess with major appliances unless you know what you are doing
(or unless your life insurance policy is up-to-date)." - John, RCFL
Old August 11th 03, 05:16 AM
Tanada

Hopitus2 wrote:

.sooooooooooo, thinking only that I
could "sing along" in Spanish to one of my fave oldies, punched in Richie
Valens
and "LaBamba"....all 3 cats emerged from their "cave" and settled on their
couch perches as usual, seeming to be actually soothed by my last choice in
tunes! Either we have Hispanic cats or they are R. Valens aficionados
(unlikely, no?) OR their sensitive little eardrums, attuned to high-pitched
sounds, were affronted by our early sound bytes for cleaning. I played
"LaBamba" again, and they are all actually asleep now near the speakers.
Cats are strange.

Mine seem to like Harry Chapin, Alabama, Meatloaf, Whitesnake, and
Classical music especially Holst's "The Planets." Its a good thing as
all of it, except Whitesnake get played a lot around here. They leave
the area when Linkun Park is in the CD player, or if Mike sings. Funny,
as poorly as I sing, they don't seem to mind too much.

Pam S.

Old August 13th 03, 02:55 AM
Tanada

Allegra640 wrote:

Vera & Lola love music ... Van Morrison, Mamas & Papas & Patsy Cline being
their particular faves. Tried Dylan out on them last week. They fled.

I know he's supposed to be some sort of genius, but...I would have fled
too.

Pam S.
Old August 13th 03, 04:40 AM
bewtifulfreak

"Sherry " wrote in message

Aww Pam. I wouldn't have fled. Nobody whines like Bob Dylan.

LOL....it's definitely true what they say about him being a poet, but I
noticed no one's ever really gone on about his singing....

Old August 13th 03, 05:18 AM
Hopitus2

Now that you're into the artistic geniuses of the 60's, who all pretty much
look like someone you wouldn't pick up as a hitchhiker (Dylan and Willie
Nelson included) our cats *do* seem comfortable with Arlo Guthrie's original
version of "City of New Orleans". Cats really don't care *what* you look
like; it's how you *smell* (familiar and loved hoomin) that counts, and how
you *sound* is incidental unless it tweaks those high-frequency tuned radar
ears of theirs. Beloved DurDur (RB) could not stand the tinkling sound of
those tiny toy robo-mechanical music makers (popular at holidays) and would
come over to put his paw on your hand if you were holding one while it was
going!

"bewtifulfreak" wrote in message
: "Sherry " wrote in message
: ...
:

Old August 14th 03, 04:01 AM
Sherry

Now that you're into the artistic geniuses of the 60's, who all pretty much
look like someone you wouldn't pick up as a hitchhiker (Dylan and Willie
Nelson included) our cats *do* seem comfortable with Arlo Guthrie's original
version of "City of New Orleans".

But do they fully appreciate the artistic genius in "I Don't Want a Pickle (I
Just Want To Ride on my Motorsickle)?

Sherry