Silly and the Evil Bag Monster

Old April 17th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Silly and the Evil Bag Monster

The girls have always loved playing with plastic grocery bags and I
usually let them - they love to sit on the rustly plastic, or to
wrestle with one of their toys on or under the bag. There usually
isn't any problem with the handles - Tessica's skinny enough to walk
right through, and Scouty had a brief encounter with the Evil Bag
Monster last year that taught her a valuable lesson so she doesn't try
to stick her head through the handle of the bag...

Today it was Silver's turn. Poor baby. I just unpacked the kibble and
was standing in the kitchen packing it away into the kibble container,
when she jumped up onto the coffee table and started sniffing at the
Petco bags. They must have smelt very interesting, because she was
absolutely intrigued by them. So intrigued that she stuck her head
through the handle... uhoh. Before I could say 'Silly, that's really
not a good idea' she was streaking through the house with a bag
hanging around her neck! I tried to intercept her, but she darted past
me and into the craft room, where she met Tessica and Scouty and
scared the living daylights out of them too! All three cats scattered
and Silver darted back into the livingroom, almost knocked over the
floor lamp, and ran under the dining table. I pulled the chairs out to
try and reach her to remove the bag, but she darted between my legs
again, and across the livingroom to hide behind John's chair.

Behind the chair is one of her favourite 'safe spots' and she felt
secure enough there to stop running... and since she wasn't running
any more the bag stopped rustling and she just crouched there with her
eyes wide as saucers. I grabbed a handful of her favourite kibble and
took it over to her, and slid the side table away from the wall so I
could crouch down. Then I put the kibble down in front of her, reached
in and slid the bag off, and left her to soothe her battered pride.

Poor baby... I just hope that she's learnt her lesson! And I'll try to
be better about keeping the Evil Bag Monsters out of her reach...

Old April 17th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Karen AKA Kajikit" wrote in message
[...]

Rusty must had a bad experience before I adopted him. If I even
so much as shake a plastic bag making a noise, he will run away
from me.

Winnie

Old April 17th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote in
:

Poor baby... I just hope that she's learnt her lesson! And I'll try to
be better about keeping the Evil Bag Monsters out of her reach...

Poor Silver! The kitties do so hate to look bad, don't they?

You know, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for her to take a lesson from
it. I once inadvertently shut Doc into the freezer. As close as I can
figure it, he was in there about half an hour, before I heard the 'meow'.
You'd think that would be a learning experience, wouldn't you? But he
still tries to get into the freezer at every opportunity.

Oops, I should have said, 'a learning experience for him', because it was
most definitely a learning experience for me. That was two years ago,
and I haven't shut the freezer door since without checking to see if
there's a cat in there.

Chak

--
In a rational society we would want our presidents to be teachers. In
our actual society, we insist they be cheerleaders.
Old April 17th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 17 Apr 2006 19:25:34 GMT, Chakolate
wrote:

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote in
:

Poor baby... I just hope that she's learnt her lesson! And I'll try to
be better about keeping the Evil Bag Monsters out of her reach...

Poor Silver! The kitties do so hate to look bad, don't they?

You know, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for her to take a lesson from
it. I once inadvertently shut Doc into the freezer. As close as I can
figure it, he was in there about half an hour, before I heard the 'meow'.
You'd think that would be a learning experience, wouldn't you? But he
still tries to get into the freezer at every opportunity.

Oops, I should have said, 'a learning experience for him', because it was
most definitely a learning experience for me. That was two years ago,
and I haven't shut the freezer door since without checking to see if
there's a cat in there.

Oh no! Poor baby! There aren't supposed to be any cats in our kitchen
but Tessie still tries to sneak up behind me when I open the
refrigerator, just in case there's something interesting in there.

Silver sulked behind the chair for half an hour, and then I lured her
out with some ham
Old April 17th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Chakolate wrote:

I once inadvertently shut Doc into the freezer. As close as I can
figure it, he was in there about half an hour, before I heard the 'meow'.
You'd think that would be a learning experience, wouldn't you? But he
still tries to get into the freezer at every opportunity.

Oops, I should have said, 'a learning experience for him', because
it was most definitely a learning experience for me.

EEK! You must have been horrified! Thank god you heard the meow.

Joyce
Old April 17th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
[...]

I had a similar situation with Ivy (RB) years ago - except this was much
worse - there were still items in the bag! She ran amock throughout the
house, trailing things (fortunately none more breakable than a can of
Pringles), and it took me about 15 minutes to corral her in the bedroom
(under the bed, where else?) and grabbed the bag, and she unceremoniously
walked out of it!

Old April 17th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Chakolate wrote:

Silver sulked behind the chair for half an hour, and then I lured her
out with some ham

It's a good thing cats have such poor memories - she's prolly already
forgotten it.

On the other hand, if they've forgotten it, then they'll probably
repeat it!

I never leave plastic bags around, not so much because of the Evil
Bag Monster (which hasn't ever happened to any of my cats), but because
I have some idea that one of them might suffocate while playing with
it. That's probably unrealistic for most cats, except kittens, but I'm
a little neurotic I guess. I also think that Roxy and Licky might
be tempted to chomp on the bag - some of the things they like to eat
are downright weird!

Joyce
Old April 18th 06, 08:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I automatically tie a knot in the middle of plastic bags as soon as I
take their contents out, because I'm worried about the cats getting in
them too. (Also, they don't fly around that way and are easier to keep
in another bag.)

We have an Evil Box that jumps out at kitties when they aren't looking
(because it contains another kitty). It also catches socks in its claw
if they walk by at just the right time. It also dive-bombs the dog
when she comes in after her walk.

Cantate

Old April 18th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 18 Apr 2006 00:47:03 -0700, "Cantate" wrote:

I automatically tie a knot in the middle of plastic bags as soon as I
take their contents out, because I'm worried about the cats getting in
them too. (Also, they don't fly around that way and are easier to keep
in another bag.)

We have an Evil Box that jumps out at kitties when they aren't looking
(because it contains another kitty). It also catches socks in its claw
if they walk by at just the right time. It also dive-bombs the dog
when she comes in after her walk.

ah the evil box... I've had visitors who don't really know me ask if I
was moving, as I always seem to have a collection of boxes scattered
around LOL

Speaking of boxes that seem to have a life of their own reminds me of
one of the earliest stories I posted here. Here's that story and it
can be found at http://www.flippyscatpage.com/windyday.html

"Windy Day -or- The Attack of the Cardboard Box

Southeastern Oklahoma is noted for it's windy day, and today is living
up to that reputation. On windy days, even when the temperature is
comfortable like it was this afternoon, Little Bit is not the least
interested in going out. She prefers to lay in front of the patio door
with the door open and the screen door closed. A perfect basking spot,
as the afternoon sun shines in.

Sammy has a new toy, small cardboard box, with a belled ball inside.
It's great for shoving around the apartment. Sam has been playing with
the box for a half hour and has shoved it against the screen door.

That's when the unthinkable happens. The box has had enough, and
attacks! It suddenly leaps halfway across the living room. Scares the
bejesus out of two cats. Little Bit retreats to the computer desk for
protection. stands in front of the monitor and watches for another
attack. Sam scurries out of the room and watches from the bedroom
doorway.

Neither understand what I find so funny. After watching the box
carefully for a while they demand to know why I'm laughing. Eventually
(once I can control my laughter) I gather them up and reassure them.
Once reassured, Sam pounces on the box and tears it into three pieces.

Copyright © Steve Touchstone
March 5, 2003"
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: