At Wit's End

Old October 2nd 03, 02:02 PM
JBHajos

Default At Wit's End

I've about decided that the only thing that's going to heal Hobo and
save his leg is to ask for some RPCA purrs. Shoulda done it long ago.
You may remember the run-ins our kitties had with Diablo, the gray
stray cat from hell, who created a reign of terror with his vicious
attacks. The last attack on Hobo occurred over two months ago. He
was bitten on his back leg, just above the ankle, and was treated with
Clavamox, Betadine, and Tritop ointment. He was sick with vomiting,
etc., for 3-4 days and the vet determined he was "allergic" to the
Clavamox but did not offer an alternative antibiotic that wouldn't be
rejected. Anyway, in about three weeks I took him back to the vet as
it still looked bad *to me* but the vet and the technician both
advised that it was healing nicely. OK. Continued treatment with the
ointment and a new thingy, NeoPredef powder, in addition to the
ointment. The dadgum thing got worse - apparently Hobo would lick the
medications off, tearing the scab, causing bleeding and swelling.
Back to the vet, who found the skin was off, down to the muscle. Hobo
got sutures, which are due to be removed in a few days, but is still
bleeding, raw, and seems to be swelling under the sutures.

I am totally at wit's end. Worst scenario, if it doesn't heal will he
lose a leg? It just goes on and on and on and I can't seem to see any
end in sight. Sorry to ramble so. But if some of you can offer a
few purrs for Hobo, I have a feeling they'll work wonders. Please??
Thanks.

Jeanne

Old October 2nd 03, 02:20 PM
Karen

in article , JBHajos at
wrote on 10/2/03 8:02 AM:

[...]

Many purrs for you to help find something to heal Hobo's leg

Karen

Old October 2nd 03, 02:22 PM
Marina

"JBHajos" wrote

I am totally at wit's end. Worst scenario, if it doesn't heal will he
lose a leg? It just goes on and on and on and I can't seem to see any
end in sight. Sorry to ramble so. But if some of you can offer a
few purrs for Hobo, I have a feeling they'll work wonders. Please??

Of course, Jeanne, many purrs are coming over from Frank and Nikki that the
wound finally heals and Hobo recovers completely. Poor little fellow, many
scritches and soothing vibes from me to him and his worried Meowmie.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old October 2nd 03, 03:19 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Purrs for Hobo to heal soon. Have you considered changing vets? This one
doesn't seem particularly good.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old October 2nd 03, 04:11 PM
Debra Berry

Purrs for Hobo from my gang. Maybe an elizabethian collar would keep
him from licking off his medicine. Clavamox is far from the only
antibiotic, so put a little pressure on the vet to prescribe something
else or get a second opinion.

Debbie

Old October 2nd 03, 05:45 PM
lrulan

Jeanne, lots and lots of healing purrs and prayers and lighted candles will
come from us. Tell Hobo to hang in there, and you hang in there too. Now
with all the purrs and prayers he will heal really quickly. Trust me.
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

Old October 2nd 03, 06:52 PM
Marina

"Debra Berry" wrote

Purrs for Hobo from my gang. Maybe an elizabethian collar would keep
him from licking off his medicine. Clavamox is far from the only
antibiotic, so put a little pressure on the vet to prescribe something
else or get a second opinion.

Oh, yes, I forgot to say, one time Frank was prescribed that pink liquid
stuff as an antibiotic, but he spent all night vomiting after having his
first dose of that, so the vet changed it to another antibiotic in
pill-form, and it didn't make him sick at all. Unfortunately, the hours of
vomiting from the pink stuff had made him so wary of all meds that he
started retching every time I approached him with the pill. But he kept it
inside once I'd made him take it. I hope you can get something else for
Hobo, or that he recovers without the antibiotic.

--
Marina

Old October 2nd 03, 07:16 PM
Yoj

Purrs and purrayers on their way, Jeanne. Poor Hobo! And poor you!

--

Joy

Owned and operated by Lindy and Skeeter

Old October 2nd 03, 07:36 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 13:02:12 GMT, (JBHajos)
wrote:

[...]

Sorry to hear that he isn't healing as he should be ;-(( Kind of
upsetting about the TED not reacting sooner, as it does sound like an
allergic reaction to the medication, and it would seem to me that he
should have switched to something else instead of letting the
infection get a good foothold.

Purrs and prayers coming to you, and purrs from my gang for the bite
to heal quickly coming from my gang - special healing purrs from
Rocky, as he knows all to well about infected bites from his years as
a fighting tom. (I hoping that he's retired from the fighting game
since his little clip job.)

Old October 2nd 03, 07:49 PM
Lois Reay

Poor Hobo - I would go for a second opinion - your vet does not seem to be
all that caring.

Lois