Automatic Feeders & Waterers

Old October 7th 05, 09:27 PM
Joe Canuck

Cat Protector wrote:

Actually I am still considering the cat sitter. I'd be too worried if
something to happened to my cats. I was just checking to see if automatic
feeders and waterers work.

I have a Drinkwell pet fountain that has been extremely reliable over
the course of 5 years.

Even with the electricity off, the water is still available... it just
doesn't flow in a fountain like manner.

Drinkwell also have a water volume capacity add-on as well.

I have no experience with automatic feeders; however, if your cats
consume dry you can leave enough bowls of food out to cover the period
or have your cat-sitter put food out.

Old October 8th 05, 01:23 AM
Kitkat

Cat Protector wrote:
I was wondering if anyone here has ever used those automatic feeders and
water dispensers for cats? I was thinking of getting a couple for my 3 cats
as I might be leaving for Las Vegas for a few days. I am considering a
sitter come in but don't know any I could trust as they would be strangers
to my cats and me as well. I also would be worried that if I did hire a
sitter to come in twice a day to check on them that they might not get food
or water. This is one of the reasons I am considering getting automatic
feeders and waterers for my cats. Is there a reliable brand out there?

We JUST got an automatic feeder. It is called "PetMate" and it has
compartments for 5 feedings, a timer, and a space underneat the feeder
for ice packs. We use it because Dudley will wake up around 5am
SCREAMING for food. This way, he gets the food and we dont have to wake
up!

very happy with her feeder,
pam

Old October 8th 05, 02:04 AM
MaryL

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

I have never used automatic feeders because I think it is important to
monitor the amount of intake. I use canned cat food, but it is important
even with dry food to be able to observe any change in eating habits. I did
attempt an automatic waterer, but Holly quickly turned it into a toy, and I
had a small lake surrounding the waterer where she scooped the water out and
threw it in all directions.

Please do not even consider leaving your cats alone for more than one day.
It's true that many cats have been left alone for several days, with no ill
effects. However, it's also true that an emergency can arise and there
would be no one to take action. I recently saw for myself how quickly that
can happen even to a very healthy and active cat (fortunately, I was home).
I noticed Holly limping one morning. There had been no previous signs, and
I couldn't see anything wrong -- she is a solid black cat, including the
pads, so it it very difficult to see. The vet finally found what looked
like a slight cut and prescribed antibiotics and pain med. The next day,
Holly was obviously in intense pain. The pad was now badly swollen. This
time, the vet used gas to anesthetize her so he could probe the wound. Pus
flew from the pad as soon as he began probing, and he discovered an absess.
This means that Holly had had a wound for some time but had shown no signs
(cats are notorious for hiding pain). However, the injury progressed so
much overnight that she would have been in great distress if I had not seen
the change and immediately returned to the vet. It is very important to
have someone come in to feed and water your cats but also to spend some time
with them and observe their actions.

I use a pet sitter every summer when I go on vacation. I contacted several
references (and fortunately knew several of them) and had the pet sitter
come to my house in advance so she and my cats could become familiar with
each othr. She becomes "another me" when I am gone -- she comes in twice a
day, changes food and water, cleans the litter boxes, plays with the cats,
brings in mail and papers, and even spends some time at the kitchen table
having a cup of coffee and watching the birds outside the kitchen window.
Incidentally, I later learned that she also checked *me* out at the same
time I was checking her references. She is just as careful about the homes
she visits and the type of care people give their cats as I am about who I
wanted to invite into my home to care for Holly and Duffy.

MaryL

Old October 8th 05, 02:53 AM
Phil P.

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone here has ever used those automatic feeders and
water dispensers for cats?

Forget the automatic feeders- they're only programmable for 1, 24-hour
period and they could malfunction. If you have a friend, which I doubt, ask
them to feed and check in on your cats a few times a day. Otherwise, hire a
NAPPS certified, bonded and insured pet sitter:
http://www.petsitters.org/Find/findsitter.cfm

Company: Lock and Leave Ltd.
Phone: (480) 219-0939
Fax:
City: Scottsdale
State: AZ
E-mail:
Web Site: LockandLeave.com
Animals Cared For: Cats, Dogs, Birds, Fish, Small Animals
Other Services: Daily Dog Walks, Overnight Care, Pet Taxi Service,
Plant/Home Care

Company: Pick Of the Litter Pet Sitting
Phone: (480) 248-6680
Fax:
City: Scottsdale
State: AZ
E-mail:

Web Site:
Animals Cared For: Cats, Dogs, Birds, Fish, Small Animals
Other Services: Daily Dog Walks, Overnight Care, Plant/Home Care, Live-In
Care

Old October 8th 05, 03:44 AM
Cat Protector

Well, the situation has changed. I may be just going for an overnight visit
instead of 3 days unless I just do a fly in on the day of the wedding and
flying out same day. I am still considering the cat sitter option but am
wonder if it is just overnight whether I should just get a feeder for the
cats and a waterer. I saw ones today for $9 that aren't mechanized but they
have bowls attached to a jug that you fill with water and food. The food one
holds about 5lbs of food and I guess as the cats eat the food drops or
slides down refilling the bowl. The other was a waterer that has a jug
attached that you fill with water and there is a small hole that I guess
keeps filling it with water.

I thought about those with extra bowls of food and water if it is overnight.
Question is would I still need a pet sitter for an overnight visit? I was
still considering that option.

Old October 8th 05, 04:18 AM
DevilsPGD

In message Joe Canuck
wrote:

Cat Protector wrote:

Actually I am still considering the cat sitter. I'd be too worried if
something to happened to my cats. I was just checking to see if automatic
feeders and waterers work.

I have a Drinkwell pet fountain that has been extremely reliable over
the course of 5 years.

Even with the electricity off, the water is still available... it just
doesn't flow in a fountain like manner.

I currently have two of Petmate's large size with four cats, and can go
3 days with one and 5 days with the other before the water stops
flowing, and over a week and there is still water (although not enough
for the pump to force it to flow -- The pump is still submerged, so
there is no risk of it overheating and starting a fire yet)

(The difference in the amount of time between refills is because one
gets more use when I'm home. When it stops running but still has water
the cats go to the other and drink from it. If they both stop running
then the cats return to the first and use it until the water runs out.

If it were me, I'd go for an automatic feeder AND a pet sitter -- If
either fails, the other should pick up the slack.

--
I should have gotten off in crackton
-- Lisa

Old October 8th 05, 04:38 AM
MaryL

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
My cats are free eaters.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!

Even so, you should watch closely enough so that you could detect any
changes in their dietary habits (which could be a medical problem).
Moreover, what about the other issue I raised? -- that is, the possibility
of a real emergency arising with no one around to catch it in time if the
cats are left alone for an extended period of time. Of course, this was
based on your first message about leaving for "a few days." I noticed that
one of your later messages raised the possibility of going only for an
overnight visit, and in still another message you mentioned the possibility
of using a pet sitter. I strongly recommend that you use a pet sitter if
you go for more than 24 hours.

MaryL

Old October 8th 05, 05:30 AM
Cat Protector

Well I know I'll be using a cat sitter if gone for more than 24 hours. I
think the plan is to fly in the day of the wedding and fly out the next day.
Would I still need a cat sitter or will feeders be ok? I saw some at Walmart
that were around $9. They aren't auto feeders. You fill a small jug with the
food (up to 5lbs of dry) and I guess it slides down into the dish as the
cats eat from the bowl. If I use this plan for them, I'll be laying out
extra food for them plus a water dispenser (not electric or anything) that
holds 1 gallon of water and has a small hole at the bottom. They also will
have two extra dishes filled with water as well. Would all this be enough
for a safe overnight visit?

Old October 8th 05, 07:00 AM
MaryL

Well I know I'll be using a cat sitter if gone for more than 24 hours. I
think the plan is to fly in the day of the wedding and fly out the next
day. Would I still need a cat sitter or will feeders be ok? I saw some at
Walmart that were around $9. They aren't auto feeders. You fill a small
jug with the food (up to 5lbs of dry) and I guess it slides down into the
dish as the cats eat from the bowl. If I use this plan for them, I'll be
laying out extra food for them plus a water dispenser (not electric or
anything) that holds 1 gallon of water and has a small hole at the bottom.
They also will have two extra dishes filled with water as well. Would all
this be enough for a safe overnight visit?

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

If you're only going to be gone for 24 hours, that's more than adequate. I
would still suggest that you provide someone with a key and have that person
"on call" in case of an emergency (for example, missed or canceled flights).

MaryL

Need automatic cat feeder suggestion :) googlerandy Cat health & behaviour 3 March 7th 05 04:57 AM
Automatic feeder that can detect which cat wants to eat ? Nik Bedwell Cats - misc 6 April 27th 04 09:57 AM
Pet feeders Mark Irvine Cats - misc 20 February 19th 04 10:45 PM
Automatic Litter Diposal medicscout Cat health & behaviour 118 February 1st 04 03:18 AM
Automatic litter boxes Joe Canuck Cat health & behaviour 3 July 5th 03 03:09 AM