used pet insurance before?

Old February 10th 05, 12:25 AM
carlene

Default used pet insurance before?

For those of you who has (or had) purchased pet insurance, do you
recommend it? And if yes, are there certain things I should look for
when selecting pet insurance? If no, why not? I recently had to pay
over $500 just for diagnosis and therapeutic procedures (but my cat
ended up dying because of an incurable disease)...

Old February 10th 05, 12:44 AM
---MIKE---

I had insurance for two cats for one year. I dropped it when they went
up on their rates and opened up a savings account for the cats. I put
in $300 a year (about what I paid for the insurance). I don't use the
money for routine vet visits so the total should add up to enough to
take care of major problems as the cats get older.

---MIKE---

Old February 10th 05, 03:31 AM
MaryL

"carlene" wrote in message
oups.com...
For those of you who has (or had) purchased pet insurance, do you
recommend it? And if yes, are there certain things I should look for
when selecting pet insurance? If no, why not? I recently had to pay
over $500 just for diagnosis and therapeutic procedures (but my cat
ended up dying because of an incurable disease)...

I don't have insurance. I looked into it, but there were so many exceptions
and limitations (often including a maximum amount of coverage) that I
decided to "self-insure." Like Mike, I created a savings account just for
Holly and Duffy. I put a small amount into their savings every month, and I
have never touched it because that is for emergencies and large expenses,
not for routine office visits and examinations. That way, the fund has time
to build for future needs.

MaryL

Old February 10th 05, 05:31 AM
carlene

Thanks guys! The savings account is a really awesome idea! I always
felt there are some fishy stuff going on with the pet insurance (as
with human insurance =).

Old February 11th 05, 01:20 AM
Spot

I agree with Mike on this one. Put the money into savings for emergencies.
The insurance plan rates get hiked up the first claim you make and at some
point usually 5 to 7 years old they drop you anyway due to your pet being
too OLD they say. I myself set aside $50.00 a month for vet bills and for
real emergencies I keep one of my credit cards completely paid off and it's
used for vet emergencies only. For me this works out great. I have the
money when I need it for routine visits and if an emergency does come up I
still have he means to pay for it on the spot.

Celeste

Old February 22nd 05, 01:17 PM
Lesley Madigan

"Spot" wrote in message news:LLTOd.10848$sR5.10015@trndny05...
I agree with Mike on this one. Put the money into savings for emergencies.
The insurance plan rates get hiked up the first claim you make and at some
point usually 5 to 7 years old they drop you anyway due to your pet being
too OLD they say. I myself set aside $50.00 a month for vet bills and for
real emergencies I keep one of my credit cards completely paid off and it's
used for vet emergencies only. For me this works out great. I have the
money when I need it for routine visits and if an emergency does come up I
still have he means to pay for it on the spot.

Thanks for this. I;ve been considering pet insurance but I think I'll
stay with the credit card for emergencies and paying for routine stuff
as it comes up- thus far I have been impossibly lucky with my cats and
spent only £75 on emergency treatment but I want to have something
ready just in case as I know from friends and people on this list how
vet costs can spiral

Lesley

Slave to the Fabulous Furballs