yodel is driving me nuts with the meowing :)

Old July 31st 16, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_3_]

Default yodel is driving me nuts with the meowing :)

How much am i supposed to feed this critter?
he jumps on my bed anywhere from 3am to 5am and meows and bumps his nose on
my eyes
until i get up and feed him. But then he does that every time he hears a can
open in the kitchen.

I also think he wants to get outside really bad. I'm not willing to let him
out until i get a a leash and body harness for him
so that is on hold.

But how much am i supposed to feed him?
he's got me up to qty 3 3 oz cans of wet food and has dry food in a small
dish that he mostly ignores.

Old August 1st 16, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Matt Ferrari wrote:

How much am i supposed to feed this critter?
he jumps on my bed anywhere from 3am to 5am and meows and bumps his nose on
my eyes
until i get up and feed him. But then he does that every time he hears a can
open in the kitchen.

I also think he wants to get outside really bad. I'm not willing to let him
out until i get a a leash and body harness for him
so that is on hold.

But how much am i supposed to feed him?
he's got me up to qty 3 3 oz cans of wet food and has dry food in a small
dish that he mostly ignores.

That sounds like a reasonable amount to me. I feed Licky 6 oz per day of
canned food, but Licky is 13 years old. I don't know how old Yodel is, but
if he's a lot younger, then he probably needs more food than that. Licky
doesn't have dry food per se - that is, I don't leave kibble down for him.
But he gets crunchy treats fairly often, so he's not hurting for food.

I think you will be able to gauge by experience how much food Yodel needs
per day. If he seems to be losing weight (and you've ruled out medical
reasons for that), he needs more calories. If he's gaining weight, it's
the opposite. If his weight is stable, then it's just right.

Joyce
--
"It's been a long, strange journey from Ukraine to YouTube."
-- "Hava Nagila": The Movie
Old August 2nd 16, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matt Ferrari[_3_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
Matt Ferrari wrote:

[...]

Ok that's reasonable I guess, hes slightly under 3, but can i retrain hiim
to wait till 6 am instead of 3 am? to start meowing and licking my nose?

Old August 2nd 16, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Matt Ferrari wrote:

Ok that's reasonable I guess, hes slightly under 3, but can i retrain hiim
to wait till 6 am instead of 3 am? to start meowing and licking my nose?

The main thing I can suggest is not to give in to his 3AM meowing. Or
4AM, etc. Don't let him think that waking you up in the middle of the night
is going to get results. If he already has gotten results, then you might
have to do some deprogramming. I made the mistake of giving in to Licky's
continuous, loud meowing at night after (his) dinner, when he wants treats.
I used to just give them to him, but after a while it became clear that this
only encouraged him to do it more. I created a monster! I'm still trying to
undo the damage.

So now I'm trying to get him to understand that only Quiet Cats get treats.
But it's very hard to train a cat *not* to do something. For one thing,
when he sits there quietly and patiently - which is when I should reward
him - I don't notice him. Duh! But also, sitting quietly for some period
of time isn't a single, discrete act. How does one reward that?

I'm sorry I ever gave him the idea that he can get treats just by yowling
non-stop at 1:00 in the morning. In my kitchen, which is right above my
neighbors' bedroom.

Joyce

--
Whenever you feel anger, you should say, "May I be free of this anger!"
This rarely works, but talking to yourself in public will encourage others
Old August 2nd 16, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 8/1/2016 9:31 PM, Matt Ferrari wrote:
"Bastette" wrote in message
Matt Ferrari wrote:

[...]

Give him a firm "no" and turn over in the bed. It's endearing he wants
to give you kitty kisses, of course. He's trying to bribe you. If you
indulge him you'll be doing this forever.

When Buffy meows at me in the wee hours I say, "It's not time yet", and
"shhhh" and turn away. It worked with Persia and it works with Buffy.
Ignore the attempts to wake you up. It works. 6AM is much preferable
to 3AM.

Make sure Yodel has plenty of toys to play with. Believe me, they can
and will find ways to amuse themselves that don't involve you getting up
to feed him at 3AM. He's training you. Don't let him!

Jill
Old August 2nd 16, 10:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeßus[_6_]

On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 21:53:17 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

When Buffy meows at me in the wee hours I say, "It's not time yet", and
"shhhh" and turn away. It worked with Persia and it works with Buffy.
Ignore the attempts to wake you up. It works. 6AM is much preferable
to 3AM.

Make sure Yodel has plenty of toys to play with. Believe me, they can
and will find ways to amuse themselves that don't involve you getting up
to feed him at 3AM. He's training you. Don't let him!

Ugh... I didn't get a good sleep last night, thanks to Lucy and Annie
chasing/fighting each other through the early hours of the morning.
Bang, crash, jump over me in the bed... no way I was going to get any
sleep this morning!
Old August 2nd 16, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

wrote:

When Buffy meows at me in the wee hours I say, "It's not time yet", and
"shhhh" and turn away. It worked with Persia and it works with Buffy.
Ignore the attempts to wake you up. It works. 6AM is much preferable
to 3AM.

Make sure Yodel has plenty of toys to play with. Believe me, they can
and will find ways to amuse themselves that don't involve you getting up
to feed him at 3AM. He's training you. Don't let him!

Ugh... I didn't get a good sleep last night, thanks to Lucy and Annie
chasing/fighting each other through the early hours of the morning.
Bang, crash, jump over me in the bed... no way I was going to get any
sleep this morning!

Last night Licky woke me up from the depths of sleep, yowling because *he
wanted me to pet him*. I admit that I find this more charming than annoying,
and I usually indulge him. He doesn't do it every night - in fact he doesn't
do it that often, so I was surprised when it happened last night. So, after
we cuddled, I pet him, and he purred, he had enough, got up, and left the
bedroom. That was my cue to get up and close the bedroom door. I'm lucky
that I don't have a cat who howls or bangs on a closed door. Once he's had
enough cuddling, he's content to go off by himself to sleep or otherwise
amuse himself.

Roxy was the same way, although when she woke me up for cuddles, it was a
lot more pleasant. Usually she would climb up on me, walk up to my face,
and sniff and purr in my ear while kneading me gently. I didn't need to
wake up fully to give her attention. And once she was satisfied, she would
stay on top of me and sleep there. I miss her!

Joyce

--
Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily go in
one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker
Old August 4th 16, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeßus[_6_]

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016 21:56:04 -0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Je?us wrote:

snip
Ugh... I didn't get a good sleep last night, thanks to Lucy and Annie
chasing/fighting each other through the early hours of the morning.
Bang, crash, jump over me in the bed... no way I was going to get any
sleep this morning!

Last night Licky woke me up from the depths of sleep, yowling because *he
wanted me to pet him*. I admit that I find this more charming than annoying,
and I usually indulge him.

Much like myself. I can't help but cave in and indulge my two.

He doesn't do it every night - in fact he doesn't
do it that often, so I was surprised when it happened last night. So, after
we cuddled, I pet him, and he purred, he had enough, got up, and left the
bedroom. That was my cue to get up and close the bedroom door. I'm lucky
that I don't have a cat who howls or bangs on a closed door.

I was about to say... no way I can do that here. You are indeed lucky

Once he's had
enough cuddling, he's content to go off by himself to sleep or otherwise
amuse himself.

Roxy was the same way, although when she woke me up for cuddles, it was a
lot more pleasant. Usually she would climb up on me, walk up to my face,
and sniff and purr in my ear while kneading me gently.

Now that describes Annie to a 't'. I was lucky with Annie that she
learned very early on how strong she could knead me without hurting
me. I used to make a certain noise if she hurt, and she would
immediately start kneading more gently. If I'm not wearing a thick
enough shirt (or no shirt) she won't even try.

Lucy OTOH likes to sleep either on top of me or against my ribs... I
MUST make sure I have a thick blanket between us because she
occasionally gets spooked and takes off at maximum speed... I've had a
few very rude awakenings with fresh claw marks across my stomach...
she's a very big cat too, so she has a lot of strength. Ouch...

I didn't need to
wake up fully to give her attention. And once she was satisfied, she would
stay on top of me and sleep there. I miss her!

Aww :/