Ping Adrian re Wanadoo

Old March 19th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Ping Adrian re Wanadoo

You were quite right. Here I was thinking that if Wanadoo (my ISP) were
going to stop their newsfeed they would at least have the grace to let me
know.
I read news almost exclusively on news individual net, but have the
wan/server as a backup.
I thought I'd better check today. Clicked on rpca on the Wanadoo server and
got "server cannot be found." Phoned wan/helpline and was instructed to
send a complaint mail, which I did. I asked the helpline if it was true
that Wanadoo were dropping their news service and the person said absolutely
not but there were a huge number of calls coming in about non-access to
usenet and ngs.

I got a mail back after a couple of hours saying they were no longer
providing a news service after 17/3/06 and recommended a couple of
newsreaders - I think giganews was one.

I am now looking around for a new ISP. They didn't even tell me!! What if
I hadn't got n.i.n.? Suddenly, with no explanation, I would have found no
newsgroups available without knowing why, and I only knew anyway because you
mentioned it. Thank you.
Pffff. They don't deserve my custom and when I unsubscribe I shall tell
them why.

Tweed
(annoyed, can you tell? ;-) )

Old March 19th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I don't blame you, trouble is most big companies seem to act the same way.
I've heard rumours Tiscali are planning to follow suit, I expect their
customers will be the last to know as well. :-(
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old March 20th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-19, Christina Websell penned:

I am now looking around for a new ISP. They didn't even tell me!!
What if I hadn't got n.i.n.? Suddenly, with no explanation, I would
have found no newsgroups available without knowing why, and I only
knew anyway because you mentioned it. Thank you. Pffff. They
don't deserve my custom and when I unsubscribe I shall tell them
why.

It's hard to find an ISP with a news source anymore. I guess it's not
a terribly popular service, and google groups is, if nothing else, an
excuse ISPs can use to absolve themselves.

Still sucks.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 29th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:22:11 -0000, "Adrian A"
wrote:

I don't blame you, trouble is most big companies seem to act the same way.
I've heard rumours Tiscali are planning to follow suit, I expect their
customers will be the last to know as well. :-(

Along a similar thread, last summer my cell phone company "UPGRADED"
the voice mail service. Well and good, I have no problem with upgrades
which improve service. The problem was that they did it without
warning anyone that customers with older cell phones would no longer
be able to access their voice mail. People would call, leave me a
message, and I couldn't retrieve it, in fact my phone couldn't even
access the mail box to tell me a message had been left. I finally
found out when people started asking me why I didn't answer messages.

When I checked with the phone company I learned about the "UPGRADE"
The company's initial response to solving the problem - "buy a new
phone." I didn't have the money right then, so just hooked up an
answering machine to the regular phone line and got the company to
change the message on the voice mail to explain the problem and give
the other number to leave a message which I'd be able to retrieve and
answer.

After a while I noticed the envelope come up on the cell phone
indicating I had voice mail. I hit the button, which had in the past
taken me to my mail box, and nothing. For some reason I decided to
phone myself on the cell phone, and lo and behold I got right to my
mail box. The message I found was just one of those usually annoying
messages where someone had listened to whole message and not hung up,
so all I heard was the click when they hung up without leaving a
message.

When I checked with the phone company they said they had received too
many complaints about people not being able to retrieve their mail so
they had upgraded the upgrade. Again, they did the upgrade to the
upgrade without bothering to let their customers know. I wonder how
many people shelled out money to buy a new phone without realising
their old phone now worked - I know I probably would have bought a new
phone had it not been for that no-message-click-message and decided
trying to dial my number instead of hitting the mail button.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 29th 06, 08:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
[...]

Mega-conglomerate Cingular pulled that crap on me, luckily toward
the last few months of my contract. I patiently waited till the day it
expired, and since the next day have been happily w/another carrier,
original phone # "ported" to new carrier. When will they ever learn?

Old March 29th 06, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Steve Touchstone wrote
wrote:

I don't blame you, trouble is most big companies seem to act the same way.
I've heard rumours Tiscali are planning to follow suit, I expect their
customers will be the last to know as well. :-(

Along a similar thread, last summer my cell phone company "UPGRADED"
the voice mail service. Well and good, I have no problem with upgrades
which improve service. The problem was that they did it without
warning anyone that customers with older cell phones would no longer
be able to access their voice mail. People would call, leave me a
message, and I couldn't retrieve it, in fact my phone couldn't even
access the mail box to tell me a message had been left. I finally
found out when people started asking me why I didn't answer messages.

Don't get me started on upgrades and organisations.

One of my banks has "upgraded" their website.

Result: cannot download account information any more.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome