OT - WARNING POLITICAL & AW (Human)

Old August 9th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default OT - WARNING POLITICAL & AW (Human)

outsider wrote:

You're an idiot; do you know that? Please make this the last "thread
police" post you direct my way. ok?

Never fear - your clear lack of reading comprehension has won you a
place in my kill-file. (Jerk!)
Old August 9th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

outsider wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
:

John F. Eldredge wrote:
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 18:40:56 +0000, outsider wrote:

Lesley wrote in news:059172f9-5c54-4ad4-a025-
:

On Aug 4, 1:57 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
These were not
"savages", but people who had adopted the White Man's ways, were
educated in Eastern U.S. schools, and had become prosperous
farmers
and
businessmen. (Since their territory included a good chunk of the
Deep South, many had lavish plantations, and were slave-owners.)

This is very strange.....

A couple of days ago, Dave, me and Jim the Gardener were sitting in
the local chatting and we were trying to remember the name of the
tribe of Indians who adopted white man's ways to the extent that
some of them were even slave owners only to still have their land
taken away and to be moved to poorer land and none of us could
remember their name....so today I glance down a thread on this list
and there's the answer to the question that plagued the three of us
all night

(cue X-Files music)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

You think no American Indian had slaves until the "white man"
arrived. Do you also think no africans had slaves until the "white
man" taught them? In the scheme of things the europeans were pretty
late in the slavery game. And you do know that lots of africans
sold lots of africans to white (and african) slave traders, right?
I wont defend how the people who were here (in north america) were
treated by the new arrivals but I don't like when people assume
there was no evil until the white europeans came along (which I
realize is not exactly what you said).
Most cultures in the world have gone through a slave-holding phase
(and some still practice it). Once people moved past hunting and
gathering for food to practicing agriculture, it became an advantage
to have laborers who did a larger percentage of the work but got a
smaller percentage of the results of that work. For example, if you
were on the losing side of a war, you had a good chance of ending up
as a slave. Enslavement of someone who couldn't afford to pay off a
debt was also common, or a family having to sell one of their
children in order to have enough money to feed the rest.

All true, but "outsider" missed the point of the posts which he/she
was chiming in on - it dealt with our government breaking faith with
the Cherokee Nation. (People who adopted the white-man's culture,
trusting that their treaties with the U.S. government protected their
ancestral lands from future seizure by white "have-nots"!)

So John is ALSO stupid for understanding my comments and expanding on
them?

No, since he was appropriately responding to your comments. You, on the
other hand, were "responding" inappropriately to totally unrelated
remarks by me and Leslie, regarding the U.S. government vs the Cherokee
Nation.

Old August 9th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

So John is ALSO stupid for understanding my comments and expanding on
them?

No, since he was appropriately responding to your comments. You, on the
other hand, were "responding" inappropriately to totally unrelated
remarks by me and Leslie, regarding the U.S. government vs the Cherokee
Nation.

What an ass. What it must be like to be you. Of course it must suck every
time you find out the world does not revolve around you.

Lucky, the political cat Bobcat Cat anecdotes 2 October 9th 07 07:15 PM
[OT] Political CatNipped Cat anecdotes 1 April 30th 06 06:03 PM
[OT] WARNING OFF TOPIC - POLITICAL (SORT OF) - Humor, Living Will CatNipped Cat health & behaviour 11 April 10th 05 07:28 PM
OT More Political Fun from JibJab Kreisleriana Cat anecdotes 0 January 20th 05 08:43 PM