New cat

Old June 10th 12, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kathy[_4_]

Default New cat

Tibb, the cat that was lost for 10 days in FL, went to the rainbow
bridge about a month ago. Even friends said they still feel his
presence in our house. But I really wanted another to take his place.
We spent a day looking at 3 animal humane societies, and found a
beautiful 1 year old 7lb cat that had been brought in as a stray. He
had no name so we named him Leo. It is really a change going from a 17
yr. old to a 1 yr. old. He looks like a miniature Maine coon cat. In
the evening he comes out to get petted, eat, etc. but during the day he
hides. The hiding bothers me a bit.

It is obvious that this was a well trained cat. We told the Humane
Society that if anyone comes in looking, give them our phone. I don't
want to take someone else's cat if they still want it. The man there
said that less than 5% ever come to claim a lost pet. That seems so
strange.

Old June 10th 12, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Kathy wrote in message
[...]

Pickles and Waffles hid most of the time for the first month or two after I
got them. However, now, they're all over the house (except when other
people come, when they go back into hiding mode), and both spend a lot of
time on my lap. I'm sure Leo will get over the hiding after a while too.

Joy

Old June 10th 12, 12:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 09/06/2012 11:49 PM, Kathy wrote:
[...]

It's natural for a new cat to hide for a while. As he becomes more and
more comfortable, he'll spend less and less time hiding.

I got my Sammy from someone who worked for the same employer. He'd
wandered into her neighbourhood, and was annoying all the local cats, so
she and her neighbours started looking for someone to take him in. Like
you Leo, he clearly had had a good start in life and was familiar with
humans, in a good way. I wondered enough about it that I didn't take
these people's assurances that they'd tried to find his home, and called
the SPCA and the Humane Society myself. No one had been looking for a
black male cat at any of the usual animal places. My best guess was that
as he matured, he started wandering more and more, looking for adventure
and female cats, and his original family never missed him and never
bothered looking for him. I find that so bizarre.

--
Cheryl
Old June 10th 12, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
Kathy wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you've found a furfriend. he sounds beautiful and nice natured
too. Don't worry about the hiding, he does come to you for petting so it's
just a matter of him getting familiar with his new home and routine.

No, I don't understand how people can lose a pet and not do everything
possible to find them either.

Judith

Even worse, a friend of mine lives in a resort area in Northern
Minnesota. Every fall, she can expect to find numerous cats (and dogs)
abandoned on her property by people who got them to amuse their kids
during their summer stay, but don't want to be "bothered" taking them
home when they return to the cities. (What are they teaching their
children, with that kind of attitude?)
Old June 12th 12, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Jun 9, 7:19*pm, Kathy wrote:
.. The hiding bothers me a bit.

I wouldn't worry about it- when we got Bonnie as soon as she got out
the carrier she hid under the sofa for 2 days some of you may remember
me posting that I was worried she was dead by day 3 she moved about
under the sofa and we'd hear the occasional "meep"- we were in the
other room and when we walked past she was out and playing but as soon
as she realised she'd been spotted she bolted under the sofa- I think
it was 5-6 days before we could even touch her briefly and she was
here about 2 weeks before she'd be comfortable being in the same room
with us and out in the open (Of course the first room she was
comfortable in with us was the kitchen) but now she's a complete love
bug- she's curled up next to me while I am typing this

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old June 19th 12, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Kathy wrote in message
[...]

I could never understand why someone did not claim Boyfriend, I advertised
him on the local radio and in a supermarket where we all go. No one came
forward. I know he was well loved as he had a very expensive collar on.
Maybe he got into a van delivering something and got miles away from his
home. They must miss him terribly and will never know what happened to him.
If only they had microchipped him.
I'd like to say to his previous owners that he is very happy here, and is
microchipped to me. He had a taste for dry food, which he only gets as a
sprinkle at 10 pm. Bad for the boys.
I wish he could tell me where he came from because he is such a lovely boy
that if he was originally mine IYSWIM, I would never stop looking for him.
He is gentle and charming and doesn't have a scratch or bite in him.
He does have one fault. He is horribly greedy.
I forget how many times I've taken him to the vet because of it. He's had
all the tests known to mankind. There is nothing wrong with him - the vet
says he is just a greedy boy and I should not increase his food as he is a
perfect weight for his size, and if I give in to him he will get fat.

Tweed