FTV: The Cat Who Chased a Moth

Old May 10th 10, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie_Snowshoe[_2_]

Default FTV: The Cat Who Chased a Moth

From 2000:

Recently we have had an invasion of very tiny moths. They seem to
live in the garage and are attracted by the kitchen light that shines
through the window of the door leading from the kitchen to the garage.
They come into the house anytime someone opens the door; and we've
been trying to kill them as quickly as possible ever since we found
Hobbes poised to leap from the top of the refrigerator to the ceiling
in an attempt to capture one.

This particular event took place at about 2:00AM on Sunday
morning. All was relatively quiet in the house. I was finishing up
some cooking and had taken a break while a bowl of white chocolate
cooled before making a frosting for a cake. I went into the living
room to read a chapter in my book while I waited and noticed that
Hobbes was fast asleep on the kitty condo, DH was asleep on the couch,
presumably deeply asleep judging by the snoring coming from the depths
of the cushions and Selena was curled up on the back of the couch with
her nose buried in her tail.

Apparently a moth had escaped our notice and had flown past Hobbes
ears because I happened to glance his way at the same time his ears
twitched. Literally in a blink of an eye and another twitch of the ear
he became alert and assumed the stalk mode. He managed to do this
without disturbing Selena which gives you some indication of how
deeply asleep she was as normally if Hobbes moves she wakes up and
watches him, I think to make sure she gets her fair share of the
treats. Anyhow, Hobbes jumps from the kitty condo and began stalking
the moth and moves out of my sight behind the couch. I don't give this
a second thought and return to my book. The next thing I know, Hobbes
has leapt onto the back of the couch in pursuit of his moth, landing
near Selena and knocking her off the back of the couch. She lands on
top of DH, apparently with claws extended which wakes him causing him
to sit straight up with an oath that is unprintable in this family
oriented group. In his sleep drugged state he shoves Selena off of his
chest onto the floor and directly on top of Hobbes who has stalked his
moth to the front of the couch and is crouched, shifting from one foot
to the other in preparation for a pounce. I think perhaps Hobbes
thought the moth had engaged troops to help battle the fierce tiger
and those troops had attacked from the rear because he sprung like a
tightly wound watch spring, straight up, pirouetted in mid air and
took off to the back of the house. Selena who throughout this whole
episode has been pushed and shoved out of her warm nest has decided
that she's going to retreat as well and takes off in hot pursuit of
Hobbes who has by now gotten to the back of the house and turned
around only to find Selena chasing him. He obviously decides she's the
cause of this great humiliation and jumps her, tumbling the two of
them into a ball of orange and sable cat fur and a great cat battle
begins with the ball of cats finally separating and Selena turning and
running, back through the house, in the direction of the kitchen with
Hobbes chasing her.

Ultimately, I stop laughing and pick myself up from the floor. DH
stops glaring at me (as if I had something to do with all of this) and
decides it's safer to sleep in the bedroom and Hobbes and Selena?
Hobbes caught up with her and licked her into submission...lick, lick,
lick...now let me have the other ear sweetheart...lick, lick, lick.

Is the moon still full?
Old May 10th 10, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Julie_Snowshoe wrote:
From 2000:

[...]

++++++++++++++++++++
A day in the life with cats! Great story. Best wishes. MLB
Old May 10th 10, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 9, 6:58*pm, Julie_Snowshoe wrote:
From 2000:

[...]

Great story. Thanks, Julie. The wonderful thing about these re-posts
is,
there are so many of them I don't remember. (My recall is nothing like
Tak's!)

Sherry
Old May 10th 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Sherry wrote:
Great story. Thanks, Julie. The wonderful thing about these re-posts
is,
there are so many of them I don't remember. (My recall is nothing like
Tak's!)

I have actually recently been scientifically proven to have extremely
poor memorization skills.

I attended a series of lectures related to human perception, and as an
exercise, we were told to memorize a sequence of numbers. Quite
interestingly, I was found incapable of even remembering a single
digit!

I took a learning assessment that explained why - I have a learning
style where I assimilate information by forming models and theories,
and if I were given a sequence of numbers, my natural response was to
look for a predictive pattern - which is impossible with a random
number sequence.
Old May 10th 10, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 9, 10:29*pm, Takayuki wrote:
Sherry wrote:
Great story. Thanks, Julie. The wonderful thing about these re-posts
is,
there are so many of them I don't remember. (My recall is nothing like
Tak's!)

I have actually recently been scientifically proven to have extremely
poor memorization skills.

I attended a series of lectures related to human perception, and as an
exercise, we were told to memorize a sequence of numbers. *Quite
interestingly, I was found incapable of even remembering a single
digit!

I took a learning assessment that explained why - I have a learning
style where I assimilate information by forming models and theories,
and if I were given a sequence of numbers, my natural response was to
look for a predictive pattern - which is impossible with a random
number sequence.

Pfft. That test was bogus. If they'd given you a sequence of cats with
names
to memorize, you'd have aced it. :-)

Sherry
Old May 11th 10, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Julie_Snowshoe wrote:
snip hilarious story

Ultimately, I stop laughing and pick myself up from the floor. DH
stops glaring at me (as if I had something to do with all of this) and
decides it's safer to sleep in the bedroom and Hobbes and Selena?
Hobbes caught up with her and licked her into submission...lick, lick,
lick...now let me have the other ear sweetheart...lick, lick, lick.

Is the moon still full?

Great story! Aww, Hobbes and Selena!

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.