Cats amaze me

Old December 24th 14, 06:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Cats amaze me

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 12/23/2014 10:01 AM, alien from planet x wrote:

Christina wrote:
"alien from planet x" wrote in message

I was worried the previous kind of food had too much soy
and not enough nutrition. The new kind has chunks of
meat & gravy.

-- Hmm, what kind of cat food has soy in it? Let's know it's name
so we can avoid it. Cats are obligate carnivores, they *need* meat as
the main constituent of their diet.

It's a local supermarket brand. There aren't any more cans in the house
to get the name. One of the main ingredients was soy. I'm sure I've
heard somewhere soy is bad for cats, so decided to find better food.
I'm going to start giving them a can every other day, instead of every
day,
for a while, and see how that goes.

You need to understand, Christina/Tweed is in the UK. Grains and
byproduct meal is common in supermarket brands in the US although things
seem to be trending away from it. I wouldn't have any way of knowing what
brands are available in the UK or what they contain. (She did once
*insist* Sheba brand canned cat food contains sugar. Turned out it
doesn't.)

and I found it wasn't and apologised immediately and said I was wrong. Let
it go, Jill.
You always seem annoyed if I try to be nice to you and accuse me of being
patronizing.
I'm sorry that you think so.

. You are far more grumpy than me.. You have been nasty to me several times
for no reason., and if you continue to do it, you are away into the bin,
which would be a real shame.
I allow two nastinesses. You did more than that. What's your excuse?

Old December 24th 14, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Christina wrote:
[...]

You sometimes come across as very patronizing in your posts. Just my
impression, mind, you. If people don't feed or treat their cats like
you do Boyfie you get very critical.

The question was about soy and other additives in cat food. You tend to
scoff without doing any checking.

I've formed this impression of you over a great many years of reading
your posts. I'm sorry if it upsets you.

. You are far more grumpy than me.. You have been nasty to me several times
for no reason., and if you continue to do it, you are away into the bin,
which would be a real shame.

My other impression is you try to impose your way of doing things on
everyone else. You only feed Boyfie such and such (from pouches!)
therefore it's the only way.

Silly advice to Joy about locking her cat out of the bedroom. My point
is just because you don't let Boyfie sleep with you doesn't mean other
people don't want to. And the sleeping thing turned out okay for Joy
and Koala.

I allow two nastinesses. You did more than that. What's your excuse?

Excuse? LOL

How about you stop preaching about what everyone should do with their
cat(s) based on Boyfie and your life with the chickens? We should
certainly be able to agree all cats are different.

Jill
Old December 25th 14, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
alien from planet x

Christina wrote:
[...]

Let's all remain calm, it's almost Christmas.

Go watch your cats run around the house, chasing each
other. Drink some hot chocolate. Eat some cake.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

--
Islam is the rabies of religion
Old December 26th 14, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Jack Campin wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

Grains and byproduct meal is common in supermarket brands in the US
although things seem to be trending away from it. I wouldn't have
any way of knowing what brands are available in the UK or what they
contain.

Most catfood in the UK, except the most expensive, contain
"derivatives of vegetable origin". Every time I've managed to get
more information about what that actually meant, it has included
gluten grains.

My Splodge (RB) was very severely gluten-intolerant from birth, and
Chloe (aged 16) seems to have developed gluten intolerance in old age.
For both of them it would certainly have been fatal if we hadn't put
them on an exclusion diet. And since we free-feed all our cats, the
whole lot have to be kept gluten-free. This means they mainly eat
Arden Grange chicken and potato dry food (from Waitrose) and Kit-e-Kat
wet food in jelly (from the Co-op) with occasional tins of Butcher's
Choice wet food in jelly (also from the Co-op). They get a few other
things as treats, but no gluten ever.

All wet food in gravy contains wheat.

Feeding cats with this problem has got substantially harder over the
last ten years, with less brands available and most brands reducing
the number of gluten-free product lines they make.

------- e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n .
m e . u k Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange,
Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland mobile 07800 739 557
http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin

Hi Jack,

Its true that in the USA the brands in the supermart generally have
gluten. An exception is about 4 of 10 types of Fancy Feast do not.
You have to check the labels of each one to tell and it might be
different where you are since it's probably canned locally.

Agreed, if it lists gravy, it will have gluten in it, almost always
wheat but sometimes undefined as other than gluten. It's different at
actual pet food stores in the US/Canada where the better brands are
available (better for me means no grains and mostly or all meat based).

It's interesting that the UK hides it as my impression was they were
supposedly more specific in label requirements.

Seriously though, you and I have a good reason to avoid wheat gluten
due to cats (and in my case dogs) who are allergic to it. Those with
no problems with gluten, have no particular reason to avoid it. It's
never a main ingredient in a cat food. Sadly, it can be in dog foods,
especially treats.

Carol

Old December 28th 14, 11:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina wrote:
[...]

How about I put you into the goodbye bin right now? I will never be
patronising to you again. Plonk

Old December 28th 14, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Christina wrote:
[...]

well, there is is only so much I can take from Jill, and she just got on the
last of my nerves.
Sorry about that.

Old December 30th 14, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Christina wrote:
[...]

Good, then I won't have to keep reading how your way is *the* way. How
everyone must let their cats be indoor/outdoor.

There are no predators where you live. Surprise, there are natural
predators in other parts of the world. Step outside that world.

You keep mentioning rats and bringing in the terriers. Gee, the only
time I lived in a place where I ever saw a rat was Bangkok. We didn't
have to bring in men with dogs.

Surprise! The world is much bigger place than that corner of the UK
where you live. Other options and rules may (and do) apply.

BTW, when Boyfie was grievously hurt and hospitalized I sent money for
his care. We all care about Boyfie. What I don't care for is your
know-it-all attitude. I've bitten my tongue for years about it. I
finally stopped. You are not the Queen of rpca.

Jill
Old December 31st 14, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

[Jill, in a discussion with somebody who I have killfiled]
Gee, the only time I lived in a place where I ever saw a rat was
Bangkok. We didn't have to bring in men with dogs.

I've seen lots of rats, since Marion's kids had them as pets. We
had one for a long time after the kids had left home - I bought him
for her younger son after he'd done well in an exam, but he then
wen off to university staying in a hostel where they weren't allowed.
It lived for much longer than rats usually do, about three years.
We kept him in a fishtank with a heavy catproof lid. The cats would
occasionally get into the same room and sit looking through the
glass drooling, so we assumed that, if they ever met, the rat would
be instant tinplate-free catfood.

In fact what happened once was that we had the lid off and Muriel
jumped in beside the rat. Totally ignored him, wolfed down his
rat food and jumped out again.

Old December 31st 14, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 12/30/2014 4:02 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
[...]

LOL! That sounds just like a cat - unpredictable.

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters