My cat keeps hurting herself

Old July 6th 05, 03:04 AM
\Allen via CatKB.com\

Default My cat keeps hurting herself

Hello! This is my first post and its a really serious one. I have a really
shy cat who will jump miles into the air if you scare her. And the only
place she feels safe is inside the couch which is where she sleeps everyday.
Recently she's been cutting herself on some sharp objects in there. I've
tried to keep her out of it by stuffing pillows and blankets down into it but
she always finds a way into it.

And thats my problem...how do I keep her out of there? I heard there might
be some spray or scent that cats don't like, and if you spray that on certain
things than they won't go there...but does that work? And for how long? And
can we smell it?

Thank you for taking time to read this.

Allen
Old July 6th 05, 03:08 AM
Mary

""Allen via CatKB.com"" wrote in message
[...]

Allen, how long have you had her? And what is her history?

Old July 6th 05, 03:16 AM
\Allen via CatKB.com\

Allen, how long have you had her? And what is her history?

I've had her for 13 years so far and she's always been shy about everything.
She'll hide for hours on end if something or somone new comes over to the
house. All up to this point she'd hide under one of my family's beds but for
some reason or another she found the couch to be a better spot now. She has
cuts all over her face and in her ear. Its gotten to the point where I can't
look directly at her any more. But I never noticed until now that she dosn't
have any scratches or cuts on her body, just her face. Maybe thats a clue to
somthing? I'm really desperate for advice, or a solution, so sorry for my
ranting here.

Allen
Old July 6th 05, 03:27 AM
\Allen via CatKB.com\

Allen

You could try covering it with a sofa cover. Does she have any cat trees or
condos she could go into instead or even and empty box with a blanket?

I don't have any condos but shes scared of boxes, so I never gave that
thought a chance. Also what kind of sofa cover would cover the hole into
the couch? I think I failed to mention the hole, I'm really sorry if I did,
I'm sort of in "panic" mode. But so far just these few questions you all
have asked me has been more helpful than anything I've found online so far so
thank you so much for addressing this.

Allen
Old July 6th 05, 03:37 AM
whitershadeofpale

\"Allen via CatKB.com\" wrote:

Allen

You could try covering it with a sofa cover. Does she have any cat trees or
condos she could go into instead or even and empty box with a blanket?

Allen

Yes, I would be thinking about replacement, another very safe place.

Have you tried to disinfect the cuts yet?

As far as the hole in the couch, stuff something in it, and old towel
or shirt.

Later

Old July 6th 05, 03:43 AM
mlbriggs

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 02:04:59 +0000, wrote:

Hello! This is my first post and its a really serious one. I have a
really shy cat who will jump miles into the air if you scare her. And the
only place she feels safe is inside the couch which is where she sleeps
everyday. Recently she's been cutting herself on some sharp objects in
there. I've tried to keep her out of it by stuffing pillows and blankets
down into it but she always finds a way into it.

And thats my problem...how do I keep her out of there? I heard there
might be some spray or scent that cats don't like, and if you spray that
on certain things than they won't go there...but does that work? And for
how long? And can we smell it?

Thank you for taking time to read this.

Allen

What I get from reading your letter is that you scare the cat just to see
her jump in the air Is this correct? No wonder she hides. That is
called "cat abuse" And this has been going on for 13 years? Correct
your behavior and I am sure that poor scared cat will feel much better.
Grow up

Old July 6th 05, 03:45 AM
Mary

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
[...]

This is really true. I thought the cat had to be new to the household.
You are absolutely right.

Old July 6th 05, 03:55 AM
Candace

\"Allen via CatKB.com\" wrote:

I've had her for 13 years so far and she's always been shy about everything.
She'll hide for hours on end if something or somone new comes over to the
house. All up to this point she'd hide under one of my family's beds but for
some reason or another she found the couch to be a better spot now. She has
cuts all over her face and in her ear. Its gotten to the point where I can't
look directly at her any more. But I never noticed until now that she dosn't
have any scratches or cuts on her body, just her face. Maybe thats a clue to
somthing? I'm really desperate for advice, or a solution, so sorry for my
ranting here.

It's very odd. Poor kitty. What kinds of sharp objects are in your
couch? I don't think mine has sharp objects in it. Can you get a new
couch? Are you sure no one is hurting her and she's hiding from *them?

Have you asked a vet? She might need some sort of medication; it's not
much of a life to hide all the time. I have a scaredy cat, too, but he
only hides if company comes over so, most of the time, he's having a
decent life.

I feel bad for your poor little kitty. Maybe it isn't cuts at all but
some sort of strange allergy or disease process? I would go to the vet
asap. Her life is not very happy.

Candace