[Biking] Sigh!!!

Old June 21st 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [Biking] Sigh!!!

It's finally gotten too hot and too humid here in Houston to go biking at
*any* time of day (at least biking for exercise). I've had to resort to
using my treadmill for my exercise, but I *REALLY* miss going out on my
bike. I can't wait for fall (like 10 months from now!!!). :

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 21st 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
It's finally gotten too hot and too humid here in Houston to go
biking at *any* time of day (at least biking for exercise). I've had
to resort to using my treadmill for my exercise, but I *REALLY* miss
going out on my bike. I can't wait for fall (like 10 months from
now!!!). :

I know just how you feel. I could hardly ever go out on my bike in
Thailand because it was just way too hot. It's great to be out of that
kind of weather.
Unfortunately, I still cannot ride my bike because it's in the shed and
Dennis put a padlock on it before he left and I can't even get the key
into the lock! I tried for an hour today and no success. So
frustrated! I emailed Dennis asking him what's going on with that, but
haven't heard back. I hope he tells me some solution tomorrow, or else
I'll be tempted to whack at the lock with a big tool. Oh, but that
won't work because all the tools are also in the shed!!!
Looks like I won't be biking for another 2 weeks :-(
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old June 21st 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

badwilson wrote:

Unfortunately, I still cannot ride my bike because it's in the shed and
Dennis put a padlock on it before he left and I can't even get the key
into the lock! I tried for an hour today and no success.

Can you get WD-40 over there? It's a spray-type substance that is great
for lubricating locks, hinges, car locks etc etc. You would get it from
a hardware store, not very expensive - comes in a small spray can with a
red plastic tube to get it into small places. I would try that combined
with a squirt of Penetrating 3-in-1 oil, into any part of the lock you
can get them into and see if that helps get it moving!

HTH

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old June 21st 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-21, CatNipped penned:
It's finally gotten too hot and too humid here in Houston to go
biking at *any* time of day (at least biking for exercise). I've
had to resort to using my treadmill for my exercise, but I *REALLY*
miss going out on my bike. I can't wait for fall (like 10 months
from now!!!). :

Doh =/

It's getting pretty toasty here, but it always cools off in the
evenings.

I think I've finally found the right route to take home from work by
bike -- and DH called today to tell me that the bike pack I ordered
has finally arrived! Yay!

I meant to ride my bike to work today, but decided that I really
needed a day to focus on work without all the other "stuff" that
riding the bike implies (at least twice the commute, plus an extra
shower and remembering to pack the stuff I need).

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 21st 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-21, badwilson penned:

I know just how you feel. I could hardly ever go out on my bike in
Thailand because it was just way too hot. It's great to be out of
that kind of weather. Unfortunately, I still cannot ride my bike
because it's in the shed and Dennis put a padlock on it before he
left and I can't even get the key into the lock! I tried for an
hour today and no success. So frustrated! I emailed Dennis asking
him what's going on with that, but haven't heard back. I hope he
tells me some solution tomorrow, or else I'll be tempted to whack at
the lock with a big tool. Oh, but that won't work because all the
tools are also in the shed!!! Looks like I won't be biking for
another 2 weeks :-(

Solution = bolt cutters!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old June 21st 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"badwilson" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Powdered graphite for stuck locks. Liquid lubricants can make them seize
up. It isn't a bad idea to have a tube of the stuff around for house and
car locks anyway. Or very likely Dennis already has some in the shed. It
comes in a tube about the size of a ball point pen only shorter. You
squeeze it and it puffs into the lock.

Jo

Old June 22nd 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Debbie Wilson wrote:
badwilson wrote:

Unfortunately, I still cannot ride my bike because it's in the shed
and Dennis put a padlock on it before he left and I can't even get
the key into the lock! I tried for an hour today and no success.

Can you get WD-40 over there? It's a spray-type substance that is
great for lubricating locks, hinges, car locks etc etc. You would get
it from a hardware store, not very expensive - comes in a small spray
can with a red plastic tube to get it into small places. I would try
that combined with a squirt of Penetrating 3-in-1 oil, into any part
of the lock you can get them into and see if that helps get it moving!

HTH

Deb.

We have some WD-40 and I think it's not even in the shed. I'll give it
a try but don't know if it would help because I can't even get the key
in at all. It's almost like there's something in there already. I hope
that it wasn't someone trying to break in and broke something off in
there!

Old June 22nd 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-21, badwilson penned:

I know just how you feel. I could hardly ever go out on my bike in
Thailand because it was just way too hot. It's great to be out of
that kind of weather. Unfortunately, I still cannot ride my bike
because it's in the shed and Dennis put a padlock on it before he
left and I can't even get the key into the lock! I tried for an
hour today and no success. So frustrated! I emailed Dennis asking
him what's going on with that, but haven't heard back. I hope he
tells me some solution tomorrow, or else I'll be tempted to whack at
the lock with a big tool. Oh, but that won't work because all the
tools are also in the shed!!! Looks like I won't be biking for
another 2 weeks :-(

Solution = bolt cutters!

Last time I looked at bolt cutters in the hardware store, they were
around $100. Not an amount I'm willing to spend for a one time cut.

Old June 22nd 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-21, badwilson penned:

I know just how you feel. I could hardly ever go out on my bike in
Thailand because it was just way too hot. It's great to be out of
that kind of weather. Unfortunately, I still cannot ride my bike
because it's in the shed and Dennis put a padlock on it before he
left and I can't even get the key into the lock! I tried for an
hour today and no success. So frustrated! I emailed Dennis asking
him what's going on with that, but haven't heard back. I hope he
tells me some solution tomorrow, or else I'll be tempted to whack at
the lock with a big tool. Oh, but that won't work because all the
tools are also in the shed!!! Looks like I won't be biking for
another 2 weeks :-(

Solution = bolt cutters!

Last time I looked at bolt cutters in the hardware store, they were around
$100. Not an amount I'm willing to spend for a one time cut.

That's what neighbor's are for. Or ask at work. Especially if you are
pretty sure the lock is jammed and will have to be replaced anyway.

Jo

Old June 22nd 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

badwilson wrote:
Debbie Wilson wrote:
badwilson wrote:

[...]

Ok, WD-40 did the trick :-) The lock looked kind of rusted, I think
it's not a good lock to have outdoors. I am going to get a new, better
lock.
Unfortunately, I think I won't be biking anyway because now I feel like
I'm coming down with a cold. I've been taking massive quantities of
echinacea, so let's hope it does the trick and wards it off.