Anyone using 31-gauge x 5/16" insulin needles ?

Old June 24th 04, 11:43 PM

Default Anyone using 31-gauge x 5/16" insulin needles ?

I went to the drug store yesterday and they were
out of the syringes with 30-gauge x 1/2" needles.
So I bought a box with 31-gauge x 5/16" needles
instead.

I tried one of these yesterday and it seemed to
work better than the ones with 30-gauge x 1/2"
needles and my cat didn't feel anything at all.

With a 1/2" needle I must try not to push it in
all the way for fear that it would come out on
the other side. But with a 5/16" needle I don't
have to worry about this problem.

But do I have to worry about the needle being too
short ? If not then why don't most vets tell us
to use these smaller ones ?

Thanks in advance for your comments. Please reply
to the newsgroup.
Old June 25th 04, 12:19 AM
PegNDerek

Our needles are 28 gauge with a 1/2" needle. Our pharmacist has
occasionally run out of the 1/2" and gives us the shorter ones
instead, but we prefer to 1/2". With the shorter ones, it is hard to
tell if you have delivered the insulin into the bloodstream and not
just sub-cutaneously or even into the skin itself! Amaretto, our 13
year old diabetic seal point Siamese, is used to the 1/2" and does not
fuss at all. We tend to press harder with the shorter needles and that
does bother him!

PegNDerek

With a 1/2" needle I must try not to push it in
all the way for fear that it would come out on
the other side. But with a 5/16" needle I don't
have to worry about this problem.

But do I have to worry about the needle being too
short ? If not then why don't most vets tell us
to use these smaller ones ?

Thanks in advance for your comments. Please reply
to the newsgroup.

"Scientists' say intelligent life
sprang from the sea.
Really intelligent life returns to
the sea now and then."

Old June 25th 04, 01:25 AM

PegNDerek wrote:
Our needles are 28 gauge with a 1/2" needle. Our pharmacist
has occasionally run out of the 1/2" and gives us the shorter
ones instead, but we prefer the 1/2". With the shorter ones,
it is hard to tell if you have delivered the insulin into the
bloodstream and not just sub-cutaneously or even into the skin
itself! Amaretto, our 13 year old diabetic seal point Siamese,
is used to the 1/2" and does not fuss at all. We tend to press
harder with the shorter needles and that does bother him!

My vet told me that I just have to get it under the skin and
that it's good enough as long as it doesn't leak. Do you think
he may have given me a bad advice ?

Old June 25th 04, 01:58 AM
PegNDerek

Yes, you do need to get under the skin without leaking, and into the
bloodstream so the insulin gets delivered properly. The problem for
us with the short needles is that we are not really sure if we are
under the skin at all! Maybe Amaretto just has thicker skin! We find
that we get a better "feel" for delivering the insulin with the 1/2"
needles and Amaretto does not mind it at all. He definitely does not
like it when we have to push at the short needle to make sure we are
sub-cutaneous in the first place!

The one piece of advice that most vets forget to give (or do not want
to since they make more money when you bring the cat in to the office
for a curve) is to be sure to home test the blood sugar everyday. We
test Amaretto morning and night and do a full curve on him at least
once a month. That way we are sure that the insulin is doing its job
and that we are giving enough (and especially not to much) insulin.

PegNDerek