cat clawing furniture

Old February 5th 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DWMeowMix

Default cat clawing furniture

Try spraying catnip spray on the post
too...they love that smell.- Hide quoted text -

Ditto on this. I don't use the spray but I do use just regular loose
leaf catnip that I rub onto the post and any carpeted areas (if it's a
cat tree or condo) and voila! Scratching post is kitties best
friend!!!

Debbie
Old February 6th 09, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:32:22 GMT from clyde :
I have a kitten, or at least I got her as a kitten), that seems to be much
more inclined to workout her claws on the carpet, or the furnature, or the
corner of the living room than on the scratching post I got her. She is now
about 12-14 weeks old, healthy and much like a rebellous 7 year old human
type person.

Really? Every young cat I've ever known was much more like a 2-year-
old. :-)

But trying to overcome her instincts is an exercise in frustration
for both of you. Instead try other "scratchy things". For instance.,
mine loves a "Cavern Play Scratcher", an inclined plane of textured
cardboard. It costs around $11 at Petsmart, and includes some catnip
to get the cat into the habit of scratching there. But you may have
to try various things till you find one or two that the cat likes --
and you may have to experiment with where you put them in the house.

When Kitty scratches some place you don't want her to, pick her up
gently and take her to one of the desired scratchy things, then
gently manipulate her paws in scratching motions so she'll get the
idea. Praise her when she does scratch there.

Be prepared for less than perfection. Milo does about 95% of his
scratching on his scratchy thing but it's in a cat's instincts to
mark territory and one way they do that is with the pads of their
feet. You have to accept that the furniture is going to get a little
more wear than it otherwise would.

And as for declawing -- please put that out of your mind. It's cruel
to the cat, because it involved actually cutting off part of their
toes. If you feel "declawing" is the only answer, then with all
respect I say you should find another home for the cat or else take
it to a no-kill shelter.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old February 6th 09, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Thu, 05 Feb 2009 21:16:58 GMT from clyde :
No. We have tried to trim the claws on other cats that we have owned,
and the procedure left the claws so jagged that it was worse than the
un-trimmed claws.

Meaning no disrespect, you must have been doing it wrong, or you had
the wrong tool, or both. It's in your best interest and your cat's to
learn to do it right. Take her to your vet or to a groomer and get a
lesson for yourself in how to clip her claws and how to hold he when
you do it.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old February 6th 09, 12:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Clyde

Stan Brown wrote in
t:

Thu, 05 Feb 2009 21:16:58 GMT from clyde :
No. We have tried to trim the claws on other cats that we have owned,
and the procedure left the claws so jagged that it was worse than the
un-trimmed claws.

Meaning no disrespect, you must have been doing it wrong, or you had
the wrong tool, or both. It's in your best interest and your cat's to
learn to do it right. Take her to your vet or to a groomer and get a
lesson for yourself in how to clip her claws and how to hold he when
you do it.

After all of the comments i've received on my post about having her claws
removed, I can say that I have decided not to take that route. She is a
part of our family so dumping her is also out of the question.

The vet or a groomer suggestion is a good one. We will take that one and
run! A couple of other responders also suggested using catnip to draw her
to the scratching post. Good suggestions all!

clyde
Old February 6th 09, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"clyde" wrote

After all of the comments i've received on my post about having her claws
removed, I can say that I have decided not to take that route. She is a
part of our family so dumping her is also out of the question.

Way to go, Clyde. You're a good man.

Old February 6th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

My cats prefer scratching posts wound with sisal rope. Tiger likes to
climb up the 4 1/2 foot high one to the platform on top. It is comical
to watch a 24 pound cat climb up that post.

I don't trim my cats' claws but I have seen ads on TV for a device that
uses a small electrified grinding wheel to safely take the sharp point
off. I would think that the sound of the motor would spook the cat.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old February 6th 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
DWMeowMix

On Feb 6, 5:45*am, clyde wrote:

After all of the comments i've received on my post about having her claws
removed, I can say that I have decided not to take that route. *She is a
part of our family so dumping her is also out of the question.

Wise choice Clyde! I have heard (not experienced) of kitties
developing behavior issues after having the tips of their toes clipped
off. But that's not why I'm writing. I had one other suggestion, you
can also use a cat replellant. I have had great success with a
product called Kitty Off that I picked up at Petco for about $6.99.
It smells horrid when spraying, but luckily disipates quickly so that
only kitty can smell it. I had issues with one of my boys pooping on
the carpet and I used Nature's Miracle Citrus (to eliminate odor) and
Kitty Off to make sure he didn't do it again. Also used it on my
leather couch when my new rescue kitty Chasca decided to start
excerising her claws there. GRRRR!!! Anyway, it worked. Both
times. The only drawback is that you do have to repeat application
daily, but it only took my kitties a couple of days. I also did have
to use a "reminder" spray a couple of times week for about a month
before they "got-it". Now I just use it once or twice a month to keep
the behaviour reinforced and will quit that entirely when I'm positive
the message has gotten through.

Debbie
Old February 6th 09, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Clara Semps

In article ,
---MIKE--- wrote:

My cats prefer scratching posts wound with sisal rope. Tiger likes to
climb up the 4 1/2 foot high one to the platform on top. It is comical
to watch a 24 pound cat climb up that post.

I don't trim my cats' claws but I have seen ads on TV for a device that
uses a small electrified grinding wheel to safely take the sharp point
off. I would think that the sound of the motor would spook the cat.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Yes, the Pedi-Paws. A worthfy investment. Took them some time to get
used to it but it works wonderfully and makes it so easy on them to
file instead of cut. Takes a little getting used to using too. At
first, you don't file as much because you're too scared of taking off
too much and it's hard to see and they squirm a bit. But after awhile
both of you get into the hang of it and it becomes a regular weekly
bonding ritual. They love the attention.
Old February 7th 09, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"clyde" wrote

I have a kitten, or at least I got her as a kitten), that seems to be much
more inclined to workout her claws on the carpet, or the furnature, or the

In my experience, this will never really go away but the cat will not damage
the carpet unless you have seriously cheap stuff that wont last anyways.

I use a water bottle to squirt her when I catch her clawing the things I
do
not want her to claw, and reward her with praise and a treat whenever she
does go after her scratching post.

This works to a small extent but over used, as in 'claw only this' becomes
just a frustration for you both.

I do not want to have her front claws removed, but that is what I will do
before I let her ruin my furnature or carpet.

If you truely value the furniture and have things like a leather sofa that
you are unwilling to shift from, then the best thing really is to take the
pet to a no-kill facililty if you can not find her a new home on your own
quick enough. Please, do not torture the cat for being a cat. You seem a
good sort and just unaware of cat ownership things or perhaps have never had
one before who wasnt declawed?

Any sound advise will be welcome.

A tail of 4 cats may help? Allegory can be useful in cases like this.

I had 2 lovely cats, both as god intended other than being 'neutered' in
ways needed for the male and female. I had scratching posts and such about
which they sometimes used and a reasonable sofa (not leather and i hate
leather sofas anyways). One day, a fellow who's otherwise unmetionably
evil, was about ti put his 2 declawed cats to sleep because his new wife
developed an allergy while pregnant (so he said).

Into our home comes 2 declawed cats. I was very worried my 4 foots with all
4 feet as intended, would hurt them but this was not the case. Instead,
they BIT and BIT HARD. Clawed cats rarely bite much and when they do, tends
to be the 'I love you' almost grooming style. Declawed cats cause puncture
wounds that get infected and can send you to the doctor.

Now I said the other fellow was unmentionally evil. I say that because
that's what the vet said. I took both the new kitties over (previous fellow
had promised records but none came) and had their shots started and by then
at merely 6 hours i could see 'something is wrong'. They didnt walk much
and when they did, it was slow.

Vet said, he's not sure they had the declawing done by a vet, but he knew
some who did cheap jobs that bad. It looked like they used human tonenail
clippers and just truncated the first digit off. Worst yet, all 4 feet had
been done. Knowing the circumstances, he took me on as a charity case to
fix what 'could be done' at a mere 100$ per foot so 800$. Once they healed
up as best as they ever could, they could walk comfortably about the house.
Yes, a far more than normal case, but please, if you do have this done, be
sure its a GOOD vet, not just a 'cheap' one.

Reality. Cats have claws. Most of them if clipped every 4-5 weeks will not
cause problems. Even unclipped at all, few real problems. If you are so
worried, you may not be a cat person.

Meantime, my cat (fully clawed as all but those 2 adopted ones have been) is
watching 'fish TV'. She's on her little cat thing standing up and she can
just see into the 70G fish tank. Watching them swim about and batting at the
glass.

Old February 7th 09, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

6 Feb 2009 14:58:01 -0600 from Clara Semps :
Yes, the Pedi-Paws. A worthfy investment. ... [A]fter awhile
both of you get into the hang of it and it becomes a regular weekly
bonding ritual. They love the attention.

I had been wondering about this -- thanks for posting.

Anyone else have good or bad experience to report?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...