Kittens with Head Colds

Old March 18th 04, 03:28 AM
John Kacergis

Default Kittens with Head Colds

Dear Friends,
Three months ago I took in two homeless kittens (a brother and a
sister). They were doing fine --- eating their Kitty Chow, getting
de-flea-ed and de-wormed, etc. They are now venturing outside and the
female contracted a nasty head cold (much sneezing, nasal congestion ---
all the uncomfortable symptoms we humans get with colds). Since they
have completely different body chemistry than us I know that it could be
dangerous to give them aspirin, sudaphedrin, or anything else that we
can take. The only thing I've done is see to it that they have available
a little bowl of Swanson's chicken broth available with their regular
food and water.
Question: Do any of you know of something I can do to help them? (The
first one sick is about 50% better but her brother is still very
uncomfortable.) I would be very grateful to anyone who can share with me
the results of his or her experiences of a similar kind.
Thank you for your attention,
John Lamb, in California.

Old March 18th 04, 03:56 AM
Gail

The kittens need to see a vet. They need antibiotics for this upper
respiratory infection.
Gail

Old March 18th 04, 05:00 AM
John Kacergis

Thank you, Karen!
Will get started immediately with the steam idea (it works for us
humans). The female (who now seems to be getting better) always makes a
point of supervising the washing of the supper dishes (and even captures
the wet dishrag and presents it to us in the living room when the
kitchen light is turned out).
The weather here has been record-making hot and dry and possibly affects
them adversely --- "summer colds" are miserable.
John

Old March 18th 04, 04:33 PM
Kalyahna

"John Kacergis" wrote in message
Thank you, Karen!
Will get started immediately with the steam idea (it works for us
humans). The female (who now seems to be getting better) always makes a
point of supervising the washing of the supper dishes (and even captures
the wet dishrag and presents it to us in the living room when the
kitchen light is turned out).
The weather here has been record-making hot and dry and possibly affects
them adversely --- "summer colds" are miserable.
John

Please be sure to see a vet as soon as possible, regardless. If they were
homeless, there's no way to tell what sorts of things they've been exposed
to, and some very basic tests should be done (FIV/FeLV), the basic
vaccinations, as well as spaying and neutering before you suddenly find
yourself with kittens needing a home. And check into your local laws
regarding stray animals. If animals are allowed outdoors and unattended in
your area, you should be aware of the various laws and penalties and whatnot
if they're picked up by animal control.