Brushing the boys for the first time

Old November 16th 03, 03:31 AM
Victor Martinez

Default Brushing the boys for the first time

Basho was being very sweet a while ago, constantly rubbing against me
and wanting attention. I noticed he was shedding a lot of hair, so
decided to give him a brushing to take care of it. I started brushing
him and in no time, his brother Issa joined us and demanded some
brushing for himself. So there I was, brushing one cat, then the other.
After I was done with them (they did not agree with my assesment
though), I decided to teach Rufous about the wonders of brushing. I
grabbed the little one and started brushing him. At first he didn't know
what to think of it, and was very hesitant. Basho still wanted brushing,
so I started brushing Basho to show Rufous what it was all about. Soon
enough Rufous was enjoying the brushing, particularly the tail. Then it
was Fez's turn. He's very squirmy, so I thought I would have a hard time
brushing him, but it turned out he was more interested in my left hand,
so I just put my hand in front of his face and I brushed away. He didn't
even flinch, he was fascinated by the smells of my fingers. Go figure.
Suddenly, Rufous decided he needed more brushing so he joined us. Basho
also thought he hadn't been brushed enough. Have you ever tried to brush
3 cats at the same time? All 3 standing in an ottoman? Crazy cats.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 16th 03, 07:35 AM
jmcquown

Victor Martinez wrote:
(snip glorious tale, er tail! of brushing)

Have you ever tried to brush 3 cats at
the same time? All 3 standing in an ottoman? Crazy cats.

Nope, but then I've never had three cats! Persia adores being brushed. If
I get the brush out of the drawer she's immediately in my lap meowing "Brush
me!". After about 5 minutes of brushing she jumps down and I put the brush
on the floor and she rubs all over it, then starts pouncing at it

Jill

Old November 16th 03, 08:21 AM
Marina

"Victor Martinez" wrote
Suddenly, Rufous decided he needed more brushing so he joined us. Basho
also thought he hadn't been brushed enough. Have you ever tried to brush
3 cats at the same time? All 3 standing in an ottoman? Crazy cats.

That must have been cute. Happily, only Frank likes being brushed, so I
don't have to fight off the other one. Nikki hates it, so I have to hold her
down for brushing, but I only do it a couple of times a year, in autumn and
spring when she is changing her summer/winter coat and shedding a lot.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 16th 03, 11:27 AM
polonca12000

Your home is turning into a hairdresser's Loved the story.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Basho was being very sweet a while ago, constantly rubbing against me
and wanting attention. I noticed he was shedding a lot of hair, so
decided to give him a brushing to take care of it. snip

Old November 16th 03, 07:09 PM
Fat Freddy

The kitty brush is part of my "sofa equipment" and always sits beside
me along with the TV Guide and the remote control.

The cats jump up on my lap, but before they settle down they stand
there waiting to be brushed. If I pick up the brush and don't start to
brush them right away, they push their faces into it and brush
themsleves.
Old November 17th 03, 09:13 AM

Victor Martinez wrote:

...So there I was, brushing one cat, then the other.
After I was done with them (they did not agree with my assesment
though), I decided to teach Rufous about the wonders of brushing. I
grabbed the little one and started brushing him. At first he didn't know
what to think of it, and was very hesitant. Basho still wanted brushing,
so I started brushing Basho to show Rufous what it was all about. Soon
enough Rufous was enjoying the brushing, particularly the tail.

Oh, I'm so jealous! Smudge really *needs* to be brushed regularly, as
she develops mats if I don't. But she hates brushing in the area where
she needs it most - the rear flanks. She does love to get brushed on the
head, under the chin, along the cheeks, etc - just where you'd expect
a cat to love brushing. But she starts squirming and running away when
I try to brush her lower down on her body. I have to be crafty about it,
and focus on her favorite places first, then occasionally sneak in a few
rear-end brushes. Just as she starts to get annoyed, I switch back to
the head, and she'll settle down and purr again. Then - another stealth
brush or two on the mats. Eventually she catches on and then doesn't want
to be brushed at all. She must have a love-hate thing with it, enjoying
getting her head brushed so much, but knowing that the brush will soon
descend on the dreaded rear parts. I just have to do the best I can! She
still gets mats and eventually I have to cut them off with scissors.

Joyce
Old November 17th 03, 07:36 PM
polonca12000

This is so hard since you cannot explain to them that it is necessary, even
if not pleasurable to them. I admire your patience and perseverance, Joyce.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

wrote in message
Oh, I'm so jealous! Smudge really *needs* to be brushed regularly, as
she develops mats if I don't. But she hates brushing in the area where
she needs it most - the rear flanks. snip

Old November 18th 03, 02:08 AM
Brenda

[...]

Emily loves to be brushed, and demands it several times a day. We get
enough hair out of her daily to make a kitten or two, and yet she never
seems any less fluffy.
Brenda