litter smells

Old August 6th 03, 05:01 AM

Default litter smells

I'm having some success keeping the smell down to a minimum, after a few
weeks of desperate experimentation. Urine isn't much of a problem, but I
swear I can instantly detect as few as three molecules of cat poo from the
other side of the house. Luckily, I'm at home much of the time, so I come
running, scoop it straight into the toilet, and flush. I change the whole
tray daily or once every two days). We're using "Breeder's Choice", which
is made from recycled office paper. It doesn't clump, but it's very
absorbent, and can be chucked into the compost. I line the tray with
newspaper, and put a single drop of Nilodor on the paper (any more, and
you can smell the Nilodor itself, which is sickly-sweet). That plus
opening the window when possible, and a lavender air freshener, have made
life bearable after the initial new-owner shock of discovering just how
amazingly bad cat poo smells. :-)

Kate Orman http://www.zip.com.au/~korman/
"I have no idea what that meant." - Dot Warner
Old December 9th 03, 09:33 AM

I keep a regular size litter box for two cats in an extra bathroom with an
open window and one of those ionic air filters in it. I use the Feline Pine
litter which is made from compressed pine sawdust pellets. I have really
good luck with it. I also make sure to feed my cats high quality food. I
tried Science Diet and IAMS, but both made the cat's poop smell incredibly
strong and foul. I have moved to a brand that I really like called Precise
Plus. It has all the vitamins, but the minerals are chelated, rather than
salts. It also has a few herbs in it, including yucca, which is supposed to
reduce litter box odor, and cranberry extract for urinary tract problems. I
chose it because it uses turkey instead of "poultry meal", "poultry
by-product", or whatever the USDA lets Purina call the rotting scraps,
innards, and other stuff that is unfit to eat. The dried food actually
smells kind of good, somewhere between turkey jerky and corn chips. If you
feed them food that smells bad before they eat it, digesting it doesn't make
it smell better.

Occasionally, I give them the same brand of wet food and sprinkle some
probiotics on it (acidophilus and other beneficial organisms) and their poop
has a much less offensive smell. It is a fair amount of bother, but I am in
a small apartment and their isn't room for a big, expansive, pungent smell.

--
Ferris Germane

Old December 13th 03, 05:07 PM
Stephanie Parker

Use baking soda when u clean the box after u dry it out sprinkle it on the
bottom then add the litter no more stinky poo!

Old December 13th 03, 05:07 PM
Stephanie Parker