Why did you pick a cat over a dog?

Old February 1st 04, 11:08 AM
Bob Brenchley.

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 01:23:30 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
wrote:

I'm curious what made you choose cats over dogs?

I prefer cats because I don't have to bathe them every so often. I also
like how I don't have to walk them (dogs love to get their paws all dirty
and roll around in gunk). Cats are usually smaller, and therefore eat less
and have smaller poops. I just think generally that cats are more
attractive graceful creatures that naturally smell good. But let's hear
your thoughts on cats vs dogs.

I didn't chose cats - cats chose me. But you are right on all the
things you list.

--
Bob.

Cat's motto: No matter what you've done wrong, always try to make it
look like the dog did it.
Old February 1st 04, 02:00 PM
DevilsPGD

In message XMar
did ramble:

Humans beat canines or felines in the stupidity department any day though.

So true. My cats have figured out how to use tools (they move the
kitchen chairs so that they can jump up on to the counter -- Still
kittens, can't quite make it to the counter in one jump)

I know humans that can't figure out how to use simple tools.

Old February 1st 04, 05:27 PM
Ted Davis

wrote:

I'm curious what made you choose cats over dogs?

10) Cats are dangerous pets, but are not capable of doing as much
serious damage as dogs.
9) Cats are low maintenance.
8) Cats are prettier and more photogenic.
7) Cats don't jump all over me with muddy paws when I feed them
(though they do walk all over me with muddy paws when I'm in bed).
6) Cats keep the mice down.
5) Cats are softer.
4) Cats are quietly affectionate.
3) Cats purr.
2) Cats don't bark all day and all night.
1) I've never been bitten by a rabid cat, but I have by a rabid dog.

None the less, I had to get two large (~60 pound) dogs to control the
raccoons and possums that were coming through the cat flap to eat the
cats' food. The dogs are expensive and I really don't like them much,
but they do what they are here to do.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)

Old February 1st 04, 05:52 PM
Agua Girl

wrote:

I'm curious what made you choose cats over dogs?

10) Cats are dangerous pets, but are not capable of doing as much
serious damage as dogs.

I'm not so sure about that. I never hear about anyone declawing
a dog :-)

9) Cats are low maintenance.
8) Cats are prettier and more photogenic.

I've seen some ugly cats and some very pretty dogs. It's all
in the eye of the beholder.

7) Cats don't jump all over me with muddy paws when I feed them
(though they do walk all over me with muddy paws when I'm in bed).

Dogs are more trainable, more eager to please. How many working
"cats" have you seen? My Golden never jumped up on people unless
invited to do so.

6) Cats keep the mice down.

Dogs keep the gophers and larger "pests" away.

5) Cats are softer.
4) Cats are quietly affectionate.
3) Cats purr.
2) Cats don't bark all day and all night.

Well I've known a few strays to yowl all night. When a dog
barks it's talking, just like when a cat meows. Mine never
barked all night but that's because I didn't leave her outside
when the rest of the "pack" (as she viewed us) were in the
"den". When she did bark (she was an usually quiet dog) it
was in answer to another dog, because someone was coming..
or because a bird dared to land in her yard. (although she would
let them eat out of her dish and drink her water. Weird dog)

1) I've never been bitten by a rabid cat, but I have by a rabid dog.
None the less, I had to get two large (~60 pound) dogs to control the
raccoons and possums that were coming through the cat flap to eat the
cats' food. The dogs are expensive and I really don't like them much,
but they do what they are here to do.

I agree to the more expensive and as pets they are much more high
maitenance. You should get to know your dogs. They are amazing
companions. Most of them will do almost anything to please. I have
a lot of exposure to working dogs and I am constantly amazed at what
they can do. I love dogs. To me they are much more companionable
than cats....but they can also take up a lot more space in your life.

AG

Old February 1st 04, 07:33 PM
M.C. Mullen

| Humans beat canines or felines in the stupidity department any day
though.

| I have never denied that, cats could never start a war...
|
| Hans

They do it all the time ... poop into neighbours garden,
dig out some plants ...
and when the war is on they claim they know nothing about it LOL