cats and new pet door

Old July 11th 07, 04:08 AM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
snydley

Default cats and new pet door

We just installed a pet door in our sliding glass door's screen door and are
trying to get our cats to use it with no success. If we hold it open for
them we can get 1 of them to walk through, but the other 3 are either scared
or confused by it. Can anyone give us any suggestions on how to train these
guys to use it?
Thanks,
Snyde

Old July 11th 07, 04:12 AM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
William Graham

"snydley" wrote in message
We just installed a pet door in our sliding glass door's screen door and
are trying to get our cats to use it with no success. If we hold it open
for them we can get 1 of them to walk through, but the other 3 are either
scared or confused by it. Can anyone give us any suggestions on how to
train these guys to use it?
Thanks,
Snyde

Simple. When a cat wants out, pick him up and push him through the cat door.
When they want back in, go out another door, and then pick them up and
thrust them through the cat door the other way.....It won't take them long
before they learn to do it themselves.......

Old July 11th 07, 07:15 AM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
William Graham

"SantaSteeler" wrote in message
.. .
how about keeping your cat indoors so they do not get hit by cars.

Because they live on a farm where there aren't any cars for miles in any
direction?

Old July 11th 07, 09:34 AM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
astrog

snydley wrote:
We just installed a pet door in our sliding glass door's screen door and are
trying to get our cats to use it with no success. If we hold it open for
them we can get 1 of them to walk through, but the other 3 are either scared
or confused by it. Can anyone give us any suggestions on how to train these
guys to use it?
Thanks,
Snyde

If it is a cat flap, I propped the flap open for a week or so till they
got used to going through the 'hole' After they knew they could go
through, the plastic flap was not such a threat.

Astrog

Old July 11th 07, 02:21 PM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
kraut

how about keeping your cat indoors so they do not get hit by cars.

Because they live on a farm where there aren't any cars for miles in any
direction?

What about predastors (Animals) ?!?!?

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

_
/ )
(\__/) ( (
) ( ) )
={ }= / /
) `-------/ /
( /
\ |
,'\ , ,'
`-'\ ,---\ | \
_) ) `. \ /
(__/ ) )
(_/

(\__/)
)oo(
={ }=

Old July 11th 07, 08:21 PM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Little Hawk

William Graham wrote:
"snydley" wrote in message
We just installed a pet door in our sliding glass door's screen door and
are trying to get our cats to use it with no success. If we hold it open
for them we can get 1 of them to walk through, but the other 3 are either
scared or confused by it. Can anyone give us any suggestions on how to
train these guys to use it?
Thanks,
Snyde

Simple. When a cat wants out, pick him up and push him through the cat door.
When they want back in, go out another door, and then pick them up and
thrust them through the cat door the other way.....It won't take them long
before they learn to do it themselves.......

you hope or they could expect you to do that all the time

just leave a treat on the otherside of the door?

Old July 11th 07, 10:57 PM posted to alt.animals.cat,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
William Graham

"Little Hawk" wrote in message
William Graham wrote:
"snydley" wrote in message
We just installed a pet door in our sliding glass door's screen door and
are trying to get our cats to use it with no success. If we hold it open
for them we can get 1 of them to walk through, but the other 3 are
either scared or confused by it. Can anyone give us any suggestions on
how to train these guys to use it?
Thanks,
Snyde

Simple. When a cat wants out, pick him up and push him through the cat
door. When they want back in, go out another door, and then pick them up
and thrust them through the cat door the other way.....It won't take them
long before they learn to do it themselves.......

you hope or they could expect you to do that all the time

just leave a treat on the otherside of the door?

Oh yeah....They will never actually LIKE using the cat door.....It's always
preferable to have a human doorman at your disposal......:^)