A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat anecdotes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Buffy has a Bladder Stone



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 5th 21, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,951
Default Buffy has a Bladder Stone

She started acting a little "off" on Saturday. She didn't eat much. I
later noticed litter box problems, which is a new thing for as long as
I've had her. I thought she might be constipated as she appeared to be
straining and what little poop output there was was sometimes outside
the litter box. Urinary output was less than usual, too, even though
she usually drinks a plenty of of water. Then she started hiding. Uh
oh. Buffy rarely hides unless there is is a technician of some sort in
the house to fix something.

Long story short, I got an appointment at the vet this morning and
x-rays show she has a bladder stone. She's slightly dehydrated so they
gave her IV fluids. Also an antibiotic shot and an appetite stimulant.

The vet recommended we change her diet to a prescription one for a few
weeks. She said sometimes a small single bladder stone will dissolve by
itself with a change in diet. (Note: she asked me what I normally feed
Buffy and didn't have a problem with it.) We're hoping this stone will
go away without surgery.

Buffy came back acting like a new cat! It's almost like they gave her
happy pills or something. She's not hiding. She hopped out of the
carrier and drank some water. I poured some of the Rx kibble in her
dish and she went right for it. Could be the appetite stimulant shot
the vet gave her, could be she actually likes the food. (Here's hoping!
Persia always hated the Rx food she had to eat.) I was sent home with
some appetite stimulant capsules since Buffy hadn't really eaten much in
2 days. I'm to start sprinkling half a capsule on her food until she's
eating regularly again. And of course monitor her litterbox output.

She's been sitting in my lap several times since we got home. Not
hiding, not mad at me for taking her to get poked and prodded. She's
not exactly in the mood to bap a golf ball around the living room but
she's obviously feeling a heck of a lot better.

Jill
  #2  
Old January 14th 21, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Judith Latham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,342
Default Buffy has a Bladder Stone

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on January 28, 2021.

In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
She started acting a little "off" on Saturday. She didn't eat much. I
later noticed litter box problems, which is a new thing for as long as
I've had her. I thought she might be constipated as she appeared to be
straining and what little poop output there was was sometimes outside
the litter box. Urinary output was less than usual, too, even though
she usually drinks a plenty of of water. Then she started hiding. Uh
oh. Buffy rarely hides unless there is is a technician of some sort in
the house to fix something.


Long story short, I got an appointment at the vet this morning and
x-rays show she has a bladder stone. She's slightly dehydrated so they
gave her IV fluids. Also an antibiotic shot and an appetite stimulant.


The vet recommended we change her diet to a prescription one for a few
weeks. She said sometimes a small single bladder stone will dissolve by
itself with a change in diet. (Note: she asked me what I normally feed
Buffy and didn't have a problem with it.) We're hoping this stone will
go away without surgery.


Buffy came back acting like a new cat! It's almost like they gave her
happy pills or something. She's not hiding. She hopped out of the
carrier and drank some water. I poured some of the Rx kibble in her
dish and she went right for it. Could be the appetite stimulant shot
the vet gave her, could be she actually likes the food. (Here's hoping!
Persia always hated the Rx food she had to eat.) I was sent home with
some appetite stimulant capsules since Buffy hadn't really eaten much in
2 days. I'm to start sprinkling half a capsule on her food until she's
eating regularly again. And of course monitor her litterbox output.


She's been sitting in my lap several times since we got home. Not
hiding, not mad at me for taking her to get poked and prodded. She's
not exactly in the mood to bap a golf ball around the living room but
she's obviously feeling a heck of a lot better.


Jill



I'm so sorry I didn't pick this up earlier. Poor Buffy. How is she now?
I'm making a not to self to log in here daily, first thing. It's a poor
friend who doesn't check you're ok.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.
  #3  
Old January 15th 21, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,951
Default Buffy has a Bladder Stone

On 1/14/2021 8:21 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
She started acting a little "off" on Saturday. She didn't eat much. I
later noticed litter box problems, which is a new thing for as long as
I've had her. I thought she might be constipated as she appeared to be
straining and what little poop output there was was sometimes outside
the litter box. Urinary output was less than usual, too, even though
she usually drinks a plenty of of water. Then she started hiding. Uh
oh. Buffy rarely hides unless there is is a technician of some sort in
the house to fix something.


Long story short, I got an appointment at the vet this morning and
x-rays show she has a bladder stone. She's slightly dehydrated so they
gave her IV fluids. Also an antibiotic shot and an appetite stimulant.


The vet recommended we change her diet to a prescription one for a few
weeks. She said sometimes a small single bladder stone will dissolve by
itself with a change in diet. (Note: she asked me what I normally feed
Buffy and didn't have a problem with it.) We're hoping this stone will
go away without surgery.


Buffy came back acting like a new cat! It's almost like they gave her
happy pills or something. She's not hiding. She hopped out of the
carrier and drank some water. I poured some of the Rx kibble in her
dish and she went right for it. Could be the appetite stimulant shot
the vet gave her, could be she actually likes the food. (Here's hoping!
Persia always hated the Rx food she had to eat.)

(snippage)
Jill



I'm so sorry I didn't pick this up earlier. Poor Buffy. How is she now?
I'm making a not to self to log in here daily, first thing. It's a poor
friend who doesn't check you're ok.

Judith

Don't worry about it, Judith! Buffy is so much better. No appetite
stimulant required to get her to eat. She has quite taken to the dry
kibble. The wet prescription food is the 'in gravy' type. She does
what she always did with that type of regular 'in gravy" food and lick
the gravy and leave the meat of the meal. That's not a success. But
she's feeling great, she's producing normal litter box output and she's
extremely playful.

She goes back for a follow-up x-ray to check on the bladder stone at the
end of the month. I am hoping the change in diet will have allowed the
stone to dissolve naturally. She sure acts like she feels good. All of
her bloodwork came back with great numbers. Slightly elevated levels of
something I can't pronounce which indicate UTI/Bladder stones. The food
seems to be helping immensely, for which I'm grateful. And she's eating
it, which is really important.

One interesting thing about this vet visit during Covid. No one was
allowed inside the lobby. Appointment made, wait in your car. They'll
pick up your pet in the parking lot. Like a 1950's car-hop. It seems
to be working.

I never in my life thought I'd see the day you had to sit in your car or
on a bench outside a veterinary clinic and have them come outside
wearing masks and gloves. I asked one of the vet techs as she was
walking by, did you ever imagine it would come to working like this?
She said "No," then looked at the little tent with the benches by the
front door where I was sitting and said, "I'm just glad we have nice
weather!"

Stupid virus has changed so many ways of dealing with things. But Buffy
is doing just fine. I'm sure she'll be given a clean bill of health at
her next appointment. Thanks for your good wishes, Judith.


Jill
  #4  
Old January 15th 21, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Judith Latham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,342
Default Buffy has a Bladder Stone

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on January 29, 2021.

In article , jmcquown
wrote:
On 1/14/2021 8:21 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
She started acting a little "off" on Saturday. She didn't eat much.
I later noticed litter box problems, which is a new thing for as long
as I've had her. I thought she might be constipated as she appeared
to be straining and what little poop output there was was sometimes
outside the litter box. Urinary output was less than usual, too,
even though she usually drinks a plenty of of water. Then she
started hiding. Uh oh. Buffy rarely hides unless there is is a
technician of some sort in the house to fix something.


Long story short, I got an appointment at the vet this morning and
x-rays show she has a bladder stone. She's slightly dehydrated so
they gave her IV fluids. Also an antibiotic shot and an appetite
stimulant.


The vet recommended we change her diet to a prescription one for a
few weeks. She said sometimes a small single bladder stone will
dissolve by itself with a change in diet. (Note: she asked me what I
normally feed Buffy and didn't have a problem with it.) We're hoping
this stone will go away without surgery.


Buffy came back acting like a new cat! It's almost like they gave
her happy pills or something. She's not hiding. She hopped out of
the carrier and drank some water. I poured some of the Rx kibble in
her dish and she went right for it. Could be the appetite stimulant
shot the vet gave her, could be she actually likes the food. (Here's
hoping! Persia always hated the Rx food she had to eat.)

(snippage)
Jill



I'm so sorry I didn't pick this up earlier. Poor Buffy. How is she
now? I'm making a not to self to log in here daily, first thing. It's
a poor friend who doesn't check you're ok.

Judith

Don't worry about it, Judith! Buffy is so much better. No appetite
stimulant required to get her to eat. She has quite taken to the dry
kibble. The wet prescription food is the 'in gravy' type. She does
what she always did with that type of regular 'in gravy" food and lick
the gravy and leave the meat of the meal. That's not a success. But
she's feeling great, she's producing normal litter box output and she's
extremely playful.


She goes back for a follow-up x-ray to check on the bladder stone at the
end of the month. I am hoping the change in diet will have allowed the
stone to dissolve naturally. She sure acts like she feels good. All
of her bloodwork came back with great numbers. Slightly elevated
levels of something I can't pronounce which indicate UTI/Bladder
stones. The food seems to be helping immensely, for which I'm
grateful. And she's eating it, which is really important.


One interesting thing about this vet visit during Covid. No one was
allowed inside the lobby. Appointment made, wait in your car. They'll
pick up your pet in the parking lot. Like a 1950's car-hop. It seems
to be working.


I never in my life thought I'd see the day you had to sit in your car or
on a bench outside a veterinary clinic and have them come outside
wearing masks and gloves. I asked one of the vet techs as she was
walking by, did you ever imagine it would come to working like this?
She said "No," then looked at the little tent with the benches by the
front door where I was sitting and said, "I'm just glad we have nice
weather!"


Stupid virus has changed so many ways of dealing with things. But Buffy
is doing just fine. I'm sure she'll be given a clean bill of health at
her next appointment. Thanks for your good wishes, Judith.



Jill


I'm really glad Buffy seems to be doing well.

It is very strange going to the vet (or anywhere else) at the moment. We
had to sit outside in the car when we took Sootie for her check up and
Booster jabs last summer. It's a horrible feeling as they walk away with
your cat, then waiting for them to come back. We had good weather too.

Take care and I hope she gets that clean bill of health at her next
appointment.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.
  #5  
Old January 15th 21, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan Mahoney[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 172
Default Buffy has a Bladder Stone

I'm really glad Buffy seems to be doing well.

It is very strange going to the vet (or anywhere else) at the moment. We
had to sit outside in the car when we took Sootie for her check up and
Booster jabs last summer. It's a horrible feeling as they walk away with
your cat, then waiting for them to come back. We had good weather too.

Take care and I hope she gets that clean bill of health at her next
appointment.

Judith


Here it varies a lot by vet. When we go see our regular vet we have to
call in when we arrive; they get an exam room ready, then call us back
and we bring the kitty in and join the vet in the exam room.

But when Milton had an abscess Sunday we had to go to the emergency vet.
There we took Milton in to the check-in area and unloaded him into a
kennel, then we went back out to the car. The vet did the exam and
called us with her findings, we authorized the treatment, then we waited
for a call advising that Milton was ready to go. We gave them our credit
card info over the phone, then went in a got Milton.

  #6  
Old January 15th 21, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,951
Default Buffy has a Bladder Stone

On 1/15/2021 4:44 PM, Dan Mahoney wrote:
I'm really glad Buffy seems to be doing well.

It is very strange going to the vet (or anywhere else) at the moment. We
had to sit outside in the car when we took Sootie for her check up and
Booster jabs last summer. It's a horrible feeling as they walk away with
your cat, then waiting for them to come back. We had good weather too.

Take care and I hope she gets that clean bill of health at her next
appointment.

Judith


Here it varies a lot by vet. When we go see our regular vet we have to
call in when we arrive; they get an exam room ready, then call us back
and we bring the kitty in and join the vet in the exam room.

But when Milton had an abscess Sunday we had to go to the emergency vet.
There we took Milton in to the check-in area and unloaded him into a
kennel, then we went back out to the car. The vet did the exam and
called us with her findings, we authorized the treatment, then we waited
for a call advising that Milton was ready to go. We gave them our credit
card info over the phone, then went in a got Milton.

I'm very sorry to hear about Milton's abscess. I do hope everything
works out well for him.

Dropping off Buffy was a bit like going to an old fashioned diner with
parking lot service. (If I was older I could have hoped for roller
skates.) It was decidedly different from any ever vet visit ever pre-Covid.

Purrs for Milton to feel better soon.

Jill
  #7  
Old January 18th 21, 02:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 945
Default Buffy has a Bladder Stone

On 2021-01-15 6:14 p.m., Dan Mahoney wrote:
I'm really glad Buffy seems to be doing well.

It is very strange going to the vet (or anywhere else) at the moment. We
had to sit outside in the car when we took Sootie for her check up and
Booster jabs last summer. It's a horrible feeling as they walk away with
your cat, then waiting for them to come back. We had good weather too.

Take care and I hope she gets that clean bill of health at her next
appointment.

Judith


Here it varies a lot by vet. When we go see our regular vet we have to
call in when we arrive; they get an exam room ready, then call us back
and we bring the kitty in and join the vet in the exam room.

But when Milton had an abscess Sunday we had to go to the emergency vet.
There we took Milton in to the check-in area and unloaded him into a
kennel, then we went back out to the car. The vet did the exam and
called us with her findings, we authorized the treatment, then we waited
for a call advising that Milton was ready to go. We gave them our credit
card info over the phone, then went in a got Milton.

It seems to be standard here to call from the parking lot or knock on
the door, and then wait for them to call you to enter (although when I
was on foot in the rain, they let me in to sit on one of the two
remaining chairs in their reception area. When you bring your animal in,
they whisk it away into the back regions (the treatment rooms apparently
being too small for COVID separation). The vet might meet you in the
larger reception area to discuss the results, but is just as likely to
call you at home. I think from what my sister in another province told
me that they follow a similar procedure there.

I'm glad Buffy and Milton are doing well. Cinnamon seems surprisingly
well, really. I decided not to ship her away for iodine treatment, but
although her kidneys are bad, she seems to be doing well on the special
food. She's had follow-up tests since her diagnosis - next one is a
blood test in early February; probably just drop her in for a blood test
and then pick her up and take her home to await the results by phone
since the vet didn't say it needed a personal consultation. Last one was
a urine test that worked the same way.

--
Cheryl
  #8  
Old January 15th 21, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,951
Default Buffy has a Bladder Stone

On 1/15/2021 4:00 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
On 1/14/2021 8:21 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:
She started acting a little "off" on Saturday. She didn't eat much.
I later noticed litter box problems, which is a new thing for as long
as I've had her. I thought she might be constipated as she appeared
to be straining and what little poop output there was was sometimes
outside the litter box. Urinary output was less than usual, too,
even though she usually drinks a plenty of of water. Then she
started hiding. Uh oh. Buffy rarely hides unless there is is a
technician of some sort in the house to fix something.

Long story short, I got an appointment at the vet this morning and
x-rays show she has a bladder stone. She's slightly dehydrated so
they gave her IV fluids. Also an antibiotic shot and an appetite
stimulant.

The vet recommended we change her diet to a prescription one for a
few weeks. She said sometimes a small single bladder stone will
dissolve by itself with a change in diet. (Note: she asked me what I
normally feed Buffy and didn't have a problem with it.) We're hoping
this stone will go away without surgery.

Buffy came back acting like a new cat! It's almost like they gave
her happy pills or something. She's not hiding. She hopped out of
the carrier and drank some water. I poured some of the Rx kibble in
her dish and she went right for it. Could be the appetite stimulant
shot the vet gave her, could be she actually likes the food. (Here's
hoping! Persia always hated the Rx food she had to eat.)

(snippage)
Jill


I'm so sorry I didn't pick this up earlier. Poor Buffy. How is she
now? I'm making a not to self to log in here daily, first thing. It's
a poor friend who doesn't check you're ok.

Judith

Don't worry about it, Judith! Buffy is so much better. No appetite
stimulant required to get her to eat. She has quite taken to the dry
kibble. The wet prescription food is the 'in gravy' type. She does
what she always did with that type of regular 'in gravy" food and lick
the gravy and leave the meat of the meal. That's not a success. But
she's feeling great, she's producing normal litter box output and she's
extremely playful.


She goes back for a follow-up x-ray to check on the bladder stone at the
end of the month. I am hoping the change in diet will have allowed the
stone to dissolve naturally. She sure acts like she feels good. All
of her bloodwork came back with great numbers. Slightly elevated
levels of something I can't pronounce which indicate UTI/Bladder
stones. The food seems to be helping immensely, for which I'm
grateful. And she's eating it, which is really important.


One interesting thing about this vet visit during Covid. No one was
allowed inside the lobby. Appointment made, wait in your car. They'll
pick up your pet in the parking lot. Like a 1950's car-hop. It seems
to be working.


I never in my life thought I'd see the day you had to sit in your car or
on a bench outside a veterinary clinic and have them come outside
wearing masks and gloves. I asked one of the vet techs as she was
walking by, did you ever imagine it would come to working like this?
She said "No," then looked at the little tent with the benches by the
front door where I was sitting and said, "I'm just glad we have nice
weather!"


Stupid virus has changed so many ways of dealing with things. But Buffy
is doing just fine. I'm sure she'll be given a clean bill of health at
her next appointment. Thanks for your good wishes, Judith.



Jill


I'm really glad Buffy seems to be doing well.

It is very strange going to the vet (or anywhere else) at the moment. We
had to sit outside in the car when we took Sootie for her check up and
Booster jabs last summer. It's a horrible feeling as they walk away with
your cat, then waiting for them to come back. We had good weather too.

Take care and I hope she gets that clean bill of health at her next
appointment.

Judith

Thanks! Times are really strange but it's nice to know they're working
to take care of our fur babies and to keep everyone safe. It did feel
weird having them carry her off and have to sit outside... tug at the
heart! Can't go in with her. I know you felt that with Sootie.

Buffy really does feel better. Her litterbox output is back to normal
and she's eating and drinking well. Hopefully this Rx food dissolved
the stone. Next vet visit will tell. I'll keep you posted but feel
very positive. Buffy certainly seems to.

Jill
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stone Soup jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 17 September 23rd 11 02:31 PM
[OT] One Stone Pat[_2_] Cat anecdotes 0 September 13th 08 01:15 AM
cost of bladder stone removal edensr Cat health & behaviour 1 January 10th 06 07:37 AM
Calcium Oxalate stone - can't remove Mike S. Cat health & behaviour 11 October 28th 05 09:49 AM
Smoke Likes Her Stone [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 10 October 16th 05 03:50 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.