Speaking of Fences (OT)

Old July 24th 05, 12:12 AM
jmcquown

Default Speaking of Fences (OT)

I've been living in this apartment complex for 9 years now. I never had a
complaint until they decided to rip out and re-build the fences around the
patios in 1999. The old fences were 6 feet tall and provided privacy but
they needed to be replaced. The new ones they installed are only 3 feet
tall! Granted, I don't have a jacuzzi on my patio. But my sliding glass
doors into my bedroom open onto the patio and face the main driveway.

I don't feel comfortable changing changing my clothes in my bedroom without
making sure either the vertical blinds are closed or I step into the
bathroom or the closet. I was assured no one could see in (how do they
know, did they come look?)

I was given a buttload of excuses, but we all know it was cheaper for them
to have 3 foot fences installed. Among the excuses given was "so our
security people can tell if someone who doesn't belong there is on the
patio". Really? So they know what my friends look like? They know what
*I* look like? (Not only that, I've never *seen* these alleged security
people. Maybe they are invisible, like greeblings.)

I have a covered patio swing and when it's not 100F degrees I like to sit
outside in my swimsuit or shorts and a tank top and read. So, the yard guys
are walking around trimming hedges, cutting the grass and picking up fallen
branches. Privacy? Nope. Lots of gawking going on; makes me very
uncomfortable.

Then there was the time I was out there refilling the bird feeder; I took it
down off the shepherd's hook and was pouring seed in when a man who lives
down the street (not in the complex) spoke. I nearly jumped out of my skin.
There he was leaning over the fence; I had no idea he was there. Yes, this
makes me feel so much more "secure".

I wrote a strongly worded letter to the management firm and of course
received no reply. It wasn't enough to make me move; they are excellent
about taking care of everything else. But I just don't enjoy my patio as
much as I used to.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Old July 24th 05, 12:46 AM
Hopitus

I'm condo-hunting right now and firstoff informed my r.e.agent there is *no
way* I will even look @ what locally they call "garden-level" - which could
be either basement or ground-level - apts. Less trouble to break into than
higher floors.
I have a suggestion for your dilemma though: tall potted ficus trees, as
many as necessary, (real or fake if your patio's covered) positioned around
perimeter of patio to obscure present unobstructed views. I used this to
advantage on patio of a '70's-era apt. where we lived in Miami which faced
(yes!) I-95 (we called it "the Niner" affectionately) southbound.
It was *not* ground-level. We hung strands of lights on them @ Xmas. They
were real.

Old July 24th 05, 12:58 AM

Hopitus wrote:
I'm condo-hunting right now and firstoff informed my r.e.agent there is *no
way* I will even look @ what locally they call "garden-level" - which could
be either basement or ground-level - apts. Less trouble to break into than
higher floors.

I never thought of that--my first inclination would be to want a
ground-floor to make it easier to haul groceries and my self up a
flight of stairs. Also jumping out a window in case of fire would be
handier if it was ground floor. Tornados, wait, you don't have tornados
do you.
I used to leave the upstairs windows unlocked, even open, when we lived
in the city. I didn't take into consideration the agility of the
average burglar. It was no problem for them to get on top of the fence,
then on top of the garage roof, then in the bedroom window.
Speaking also of fences, there are eight cows lined up with their heads
through the barbed wire fence staring at me right now. I know how you
hate cows, it made me chuckle. This is watermelon/canteloup season. I
take the rinds outside and throw them over the fence for "the girls". I
think they think if they stare me down I'll take something out there.

Sherry

Old July 24th 05, 01:06 AM
CatNipped

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

That really sucks, too!

How about starting a petition among the residents? Do you have a renters'
association or something like that?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Old July 24th 05, 01:15 AM
jmcquown

Hopitus wrote:
I'm condo-hunting right now and firstoff informed my r.e.agent there
is *no way* I will even look @ what locally they call "garden-level"
- which could be either basement or ground-level - apts. Less
trouble to break into than higher floors.
I have a suggestion for your dilemma though: tall potted ficus trees,
as many as necessary, (real or fake if your patio's covered)
positioned around perimeter of patio to obscure present unobstructed
views. I used this to advantage on patio of a '70's-era apt. where we
lived in Miami which faced (yes!) I-95 (we called it "the Niner"
affectionately) southbound.
It was *not* ground-level. We hung strands of lights on them @ Xmas.
They were real.

I thought about it. However, there are no 2nd floor apartments in this
complex. And like Sherry, I was tired of hauling groceries upstairs. Plus
if they want to break in, they will find a way. Burglars can climb stairs
just like we can

Potted ficus trees would be nice but there's another problem. I have split
oak logs piled up inside of the patio against the fence to use in my
wood-burning fireplace during the winter. It's the side next to the
driveway.

Jill

Old July 24th 05, 01:21 AM
Hopitus

ROFL, Sherry, I don't hate cows but I can see where you'd think so: I'm just
very very afraid of them unless they are reduced to ground-up status in
between two buns....urban Miami is a lot different than where you live,
Sherry, AFA safety in "garden-level" housing. Ditto MileHigh....

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old July 24th 05, 01:30 AM
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Nope, no renter's association. I started a petition when they first started
replacing the fences (before they ever got to mine) but it did no good. The
new fences are nicely constructed but it was all about the money. Besides,
it was 6 years ago so it's not like they are going to rip out the fences and
start over at this point. I and others just have to deal with it.

Really, otherwise it's a great place to live. When I first moved in my
central A/C wasn't working all that well. They immediately replaced my
outside unit. They've replaced the water heater, the carpet from the
leaking water heater, the dishwasher and disposal, all within a day of my
having a problem. Guess that's why I'm still here They also replace the
smoke alarm batteries every three months. I never lived in a place where I
didn't have to do that myself. Plus, I hate moving.

Jill

Old July 24th 05, 02:28 AM
Duke of URL

jmcquown wrote:

I've been living in this apartment complex for 9 years now. I never
had a complaint until they decided to rip out and re-build the fences
around the patios in 1999. The old fences were 6 feet tall and
provided privacy but they needed to be replaced. The new ones they
installed are only 3 feet tall! Granted, I don't have a jacuzzi on
my patio. But my sliding glass doors into my bedroom open onto the
patio and face the main driveway.

I don't feel comfortable changing changing my clothes in my bedroom
without making sure either the vertical blinds are closed or I step
into the bathroom or the closet. I was assured no one could see in
(how do they know, did they come look?)

Er, and of course *before* complaining, you went out to the driveway and
attempted to see in under various lighting conditions, right?

If people /can/ see in, have you checked at your local Lowe's or Builder's
Square or Menard's for sheets of easy-to-apply reflective film?
--
Once a suicide bomber, always a suicide bomber

Old July 24th 05, 03:19 AM
jmcquown

Duke of URL wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

I don't feel comfortable changing changing my clothes in my bedroom
without making sure either the vertical blinds are closed or I step
into the bathroom or the closet. I was assured no one could see in
(how do they know, did they come look?)

Er, and of course *before* complaining, you went out to the driveway
and attempted to see in under various lighting conditions, right?

Yep, during broad daylight you can see into my bedroom windows. If I have
the lights on I can't see out but people can see *in*.

If people /can/ see in, have you checked at your local Lowe's or
Builder's Square or Menard's for sheets of easy-to-apply reflective
film?

Why should I spend my money on this?

This also doesn't address the fact that the yard workers are peering over
the fence at me when I'm outside, making me feel uncomfortable. Heck, I
don't know where these guys come from. For all I know they could have been
recently released from prison.

In my nine years tenency I've had a couple of "maintenance" workers make me
feel uncomfortable. One was the guy who was leaning over my fence when I
was filling the bird feeder; he hadn't worked there in years. When he did
work here and a huge storm came up causing a massive electrical outage, he
felt it necessary to knock on my door to make sure I wasn't late for work.
He even asked me if I'd seen him shining his flashlight around at 3 AM. I
complained to the manager. I already knew my office was closed. It was not
his job to make sure I went to work.

Then there was the other maintenance guy who started leaving me notes and
things like wind-chimes as "gifts". He saw me sitting out there and also
noticed I have wind-chimes on my patio. Okay, this got a tad too creepy. I
called the manager; does this guy have a key to my apartment? Yes, he did.
I filed a complaint and had the office change my locks and make sure he
didn't have a key. He was living there at half cost in exchange for doing
some routine maintenance around the place. Routine maintenance doesn't
include leaving notes and little gifts. It wasn't the first time he'd been
reported for approaching women he thought were single. He didn't live there
much longer.

Jill

Old July 24th 05, 04:38 PM
Enfilade

right now and firstoff informed my r.e.agent there is *no
way* I will even look @ what locally they call "garden-level" - which could
be either basement or ground-level - apts. Less trouble to break into than
higher floors.

I never thought of that--my first inclination would be to want a
ground-floor to make it easier to haul groceries and my self up a
flight of stairs. Also jumping out a window in case of fire would be
handier if it was ground floor. Tornados, wait, you don't have tornados
do you.

I live on the third floor.

If there is a fire, we are low enough to survive the jump/fall.

But we are high enough that no one can look into our windows walking
by, and no one can jump onto our balcony from the ground.

If burglars want in, they will need to either get around the security
in the lobby or be athletic enough to rappel up to our balcony.
Smash-n-grab isn't an option.

We get a bit of excercise hauling up our groceries up the stairs, but
we don't exhaust ourselves.

--Fil

PS. Those maintenance guys sound super creepy. Ick It should be
part of their job to be friendly YET INOBTRUSIVE, not hanging out like
they were your friend or family or something.

I feel very fortunate that our building's management is mostly
hands-off (though they are helping us out with our loud-music-playing
neighbours.)