That Mean Old Bird

Old August 18th 04, 08:02 PM
Christina Websell

"Sherry " wrote in message
Some cats take a strong position on birds. One of the neighbours came

home
to find a seagull on her bedroom bureau - quite alive.

Oh, my! What a surprise. That's precisely why DH won't let me install a

cat
door. He has visions of us cleaning up / catching their victims. I wish we

had
one. I keep telling him we could lock it when we're away.

Sherry

It can certainly be a disadvantage letting cats have access in and out 24/7
preywise.
I have found half eaten rats, bird wings and I once slipped on a mouse's
head brought in overnight..

One evening, Boyfriend (who was just an apprentice at the time) brought in a
live mouse and proceeded to play with it in the kitchen. I wanted to take
it away from him but he wouldn't let me and kept turning his head away and
running off with it under the table.
Kitty FC watched from the fireside rug. In the end she got fed up with his
ineptitude, strolled over to him, boxed his ears and snatched the mouse from
his mouth.
CRUNCH. wipes hands That's how it's done, stupid child!

Tweed

Old August 19th 04, 01:37 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:02:21 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
snip
One evening, Boyfriend (who was just an apprentice at the time) brought in a
live mouse and proceeded to play with it in the kitchen. I wanted to take
it away from him but he wouldn't let me and kept turning his head away and
running off with it under the table.
Kitty FC watched from the fireside rug. In the end she got fed up with his
ineptitude, strolled over to him, boxed his ears and snatched the mouse from
his mouth.
CRUNCH. wipes hands That's how it's done, stupid child!

LOL That's exactly what happened when Sammy was teaching herself to
hunt grasshoppers. Sammy only gets to go out on supervised excursions,
but she was getting pretty good at 'hopper hunting. Only problem was
she had no idea what to do with them once she caught one. She'd catch
them in the flowerbed, and then bring them over to play with on the
sidewalk. Well, one day she got one and carried it over close to where
Rocky was laying. She commenced to play with it while Rocky watched.
Then, it jumped the wrong way - towards Rocky. He reached out and
scooped it up and into his mouth, and it was gone ust like that.

Like your Kitty FC, Rocky grew up having to hustle for his own food,
so is an expert hunter.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

Old August 19th 04, 02:30 AM
Christina Websell

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:02:21 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
snip
[...]

I have to admire cats that can find their own living, even though I am very
fond of birdwatching and that's why I didn't want any cats and would never
have chosen to have one. No choice, though, as they chose me..
When I first noticed BF, he was following Kitty around everywhere, copying
everything that she did, like she was his mother. I assumed he lived
elsewhere and was just visiting.
Whether he left his home because he became attached to Kitty, or was
completely lost, I will never know. I've said before that he has an
expensive collar on and I was sad that he proved not to be microchipped so I
could tell his first family where he was.
I think BF is learning to hunt through Kitty's example. I took his first
collared dove off him a few weeks ago because he had it in his mouth and
didn't know what to do. I tried to medicate and save it but it didn't work.
The last one I saw him with, I left him to get on with. with a sad heart.
Wings on the kitchen carpet when I came home. I hated the way it blinked at
me seeming to say "save me" because I knew it was no good to try.
Kitty did not approve today of her lovely pouch of cat food - beef in gravy.
Cats do not eat cows, she said.
While she was poorly she ate everything I gave her. Now she feels better
she wants *real* food that she can catch herself.
Another dove bit the dust :-(
How can this tiny cat, and at her great age too, do what she does?

I really do have to admire the old girl.

Tweed