cat scratching doorways

Old October 7th 15, 06:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
my

Default cat scratching doorways

i having problems with my cats scratching up bedroom door ways around the house the doorway to the basement is already ruined
Old October 7th 15, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 10/7/2015 1:39 PM, my wrote:
i having problems with my cats scratching up bedroom door ways around the house the doorway to the basement is already ruined

........Mount those cardboard cat scratch boxes or one of those flat
twine string cat scratch posts along one door way and keep it sprinkled
with cat nip. I've got a 10-12 foot section of tree for my cats to
enjoy. You could put it in the basement where the shavings wouldn't be
such a hassle.

buglady
take out the dog before replying
Old October 7th 15, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

my wrote:

i having problems with my cats scratching up bedroom door ways around
the house the doorway to the basement is already ruined

I totally agree with "buglady" in that you need to provide clawing
exercise. You can use lumber or trees or whatever. Make some major stuff
that they can climb on. Cats love to climb and they need the exercise.
If they have enough exercise like that, they won't shred stuff.

But if that fails... Use upside down packaging tape. After the second or
third contact, they will stop doing it. It's very useful as a barrier to
places they should not be. And you get to play the good guy by removing
it. Kills two birds with one stone.
Old October 9th 15, 09:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
my

On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 2:11:42 PM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
my wrote:

i having problems with my cats scratching up bedroom door ways around
the house the doorway to the basement is already ruined

I totally agree with "buglady" in that you need to provide clawing
exercise. You can use lumber or trees or whatever. Make some major stuff
that they can climb on. Cats love to climb and they need the exercise.
If they have enough exercise like that, they won't shred stuff.

But if that fails... Use upside down packaging tape. After the second or
third contact, they will stop doing it. It's very useful as a barrier to
places they should not be. And you get to play the good guy by removing
it. Kills two birds with one stone.

i will give it a try
Old October 10th 15, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

my wrote:

John Doe wrote:
my wrote:

i having problems with my cats scratching up bedroom door ways
around the house the doorway to the basement is already ruined

I totally agree with "buglady" in that you need to provide clawing
exercise. You can use lumber or trees or whatever. Make some major
stuff that they can climb on. Cats love to climb and they need the
exercise. If they have enough exercise like that, they won't shred
stuff.

But if that fails... Use upside down packaging tape. After the second
or third contact, they will stop doing it. It's very useful as a
barrier to places they should not be. And you get to play the good
guy by removing it. Kills two birds with one stone.

i will give it a try

They still need lots of exercise using their claws. If you just stop them
with the tape, they will need to get that exercise some other way. Don't
just treat the symptom.
Old October 10th 15, 10:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mark Carroll[_2_]

John Doe writes:

They still need lots of exercise using their claws. If you just stop them
with the tape, they will need to get that exercise some other way. Don't
just treat the symptom.

It's worth experimenting to see what kinds of things they like to
scratch. For instance, with our current cat, I'd nearly given up hope of
stopping him from scratching the back corner of the sofa[1], but I've
finally found that vertical or semi-vertical boards with jute fabric on
them are what really appeals in his case. Try varying material, shape
(flat, round, whatever), orientation, until you find an effective
sacrificial attractor. John's right, pieces of unfinished lumber can be
great too.

[1] discount from a charity shop at least, with children and cats it's
not worth paying any more than that!

-- Mark
Old October 10th 15, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe[_2_]

Mark Carroll wrote in :

John Doe writes:

They still need lots of exercise using their claws. If you just stop
them with the tape, they will need to get that exercise some other
way. Don't just treat the symptom.

It's worth experimenting to see what kinds of things they like to
scratch. For instance, with our current cat, I'd nearly given up hope
of stopping him from scratching the back corner of the sofa[1], but
I've finally found that vertical or semi-vertical boards with jute
fabric on them are what really appeals in his case. Try varying
material, shape (flat, round, whatever), orientation, until you find
an effective sacrificial attractor. John's right, pieces of unfinished
lumber can be great too.

I ditched the covering and have started using bare finished wood (1x4s)
for the horizontal parts of their skyway. No problem so far. Their
platforms/lofts are still covered with Astroturf and paper towels.

I have been using 1/4 inch thick recycled car tire rubber mat material,
hot melt glued onto 1x4s for their climbing ramps up to the skyway.
Naturally they had to get used to it. After months of use, they have
started scratching at it just like they do carpet or rope covered
boards. The rubber is becoming a tiny bit rough in the areas they
scratch, but so far haven't noticed any debris coming off of it. It
works very well for climbing. They are becoming skillful at using it.