Duffy the blind *dog* regains his sight

Old June 22nd 14, 07:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL[_2_]

Default Duffy the blind *dog* regains his sight

There have been a number of recent stories about how Duffy the Irish terrier
regained his sight. He lost his sight due to diabetes, but surgery was
successful after Duffy’s diabetes was brought under control. Naturally, I
immediately thought of my Duffy. Here is the story about Duffy the dog with
a video:
https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trendin...190739849.html

Unlike the dog in the story, my Duffy was born blind. He functions so
remarkably well despite his blindness that I originally thought he might
have a small amount of vision. Shortly after adoption, I took him to a
feline ophthalmologist at Texas A&M University College of Veterinary
Medicine to see if there was anything I could do to save what vision he
might have. However, I learned that he is completely blind, and there is
nothing that can be done. His condition was described as “anterior cleavage
syndrome.” There should be space between the iris and the cornea, but there
is no space in Duffy’s eyes; the two components adhered together. This
probably happened in utero, and possibly was caused by infection in the
mother. However, Duffy does not have any infection; and this was not caused
by herpes (in Duffy) or anything similar. I have always thought that one
reason Duffy does so well is that he has always been blind. He did not lose
his sight due to aging to illness. So, to Duffy, everything is normal. He
does not consider himself “handicapped,” and he just goes ahead and does
everything that any other cat can do. He is an absolute delight and the
love of my life. Duffy is approximately 16 years old. He is an active,
happy little boy.

MaryL

Old June 22nd 14, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 13:33:18 -0500, "MaryL"
wrote:

[...]

All of life is amazing. Duffy's other senses have sharpened to
compensate for his loss of vision. Nice story!

Old June 22nd 14, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL[_2_]

--

Thanks! Here is Duffy's photo album:
http://tinyurl.com/cslwf

MaryL

Old June 22nd 14, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 14:19:15 -0500, "MaryL"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

I have always thought that one
reason Duffy does so well is that he has always been blind. He did not
lose
his sight due to aging to illness. So, to Duffy, everything is normal. He
does not consider himself handicapped, and he just goes ahead and does
everything that any other cat can do. He is an absolute delight and the
love of my life. Duffy is approximately 16 years old. He is an active,
happy little boy.

All of life is amazing. Duffy's other senses have sharpened to
compensate for his loss of vision. Nice story!

Thanks! Here is Duffy's photo album:
http://tinyurl.com/cslwf

This is over fifteen years ago, but he looks like a delightful cat
that my mother adopted, "Dixie" - because she had originally come from
North Carolina. Mom lived in PA.

My mother complained because Dixie was not affectionate and would not
come up on her lap. I live in Baja, Mexico, and I visited for a week
or two circa 2002.

One evening as I was sitting in the big Lazy Boy recliner, I began to
sing a silly song based on the Stylistics - "You are Everything".

"Today I saw somebody
Who looked just like you,
She meowed like you do,
I thought it was you......."

Dixie looked at me, jumped up on my lap and began purring and loving
me.

Mom was so jealous, and I really was annoyed when later on, my mom
gave her away. I was over 3,000 miles away. I think about Dixie,
because the song goes through my head a lot.

I have my two sweethearts, both females, Pookie and Bubba.

Pookie appereared in my "closed-in porch" one morning. Somebody had
abandoned a box of kittens in our community, and to this day, I do not
know how she got into my porch. Bubba is a "Valley Girl" - comes from
Valle de Guadalupe about fifteen miles away. Given to as a kitten by
my personal assistant after I decided that Pookie needed a playmate.

Here is Bubba when she was a kitten looking a little disheveled, but
she is a beautiful cat. I brush her several times a day. I keep them
both indoors.

http://dc263.4shared.com/img/0dIR9wl...68344368784775

Old June 22nd 14, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL[_2_]

[...]

~~~~~~~
Oh, what an unusual cat. She is beautiful!

MaryL

Old June 22nd 14, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 15:43:37 -0500, "MaryL"
wrote:

"Mack A. Damia" wrote in message
.. .

http://dc263.4shared.com/img/0dIR9wl...68344368784775

~~~~~~~
Oh, what an unusual cat. She is beautiful!

She has a black splotch of fur over part of her mouth. I have a cat
tree, and she would lie in the top tray with her head over the side. I
couldn't see her body, just this silly face. I used to laugh and
laugh as she watched everything that was going on - especially the
activities of Pookie.

I woke up to this sight.......... Mischief Cat anecdotes 14 July 11th 07 04:51 PM
Abelard's sight Pat Cat anecdotes 7 April 28th 07 06:54 PM
Love at First Sight [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 1 February 9th 06 02:39 AM
test for sight flnfln Cat anecdotes 1 March 1st 05 08:04 AM